Resolution Downscale 1440p to 1080p and any

santer

How change my resolution for stream in obs, but no change resolution in my game (my game - fullscreen mode 2560*1440 and i like game this resolution)?
Please add this options.
Sorry for my English.
Code:
void SettingsVideo::RefreshDownscales(HWND hwnd, int cx, int cy)
{
    int lastID = (int)SendMessage(hwnd, CB_GETCURSEL, 0, 0);

SendMessage(hwnd, CB_RESETCONTENT, 0, 0);

float downscale = AppConfig->GetFloat(TEXT("Video"), TEXT("Downscale"));
    bool bFoundVal = false;

for(int i=0; i<multiplierCount; i++)
    {
        float multiplier = downscaleMultipliers[i];

int scaleCX = int(float(cx)/multiplier) & 0xFFFFFFFE;
        int scaleCY = int(float(cy)/multiplier) & 0xFFFFFFFE;

String strText;
        if(i == 0)
            strText << Str("None") << TEXT("  (") << IntString(scaleCX) << TEXT("x") << IntString(scaleCY) << TEXT(")");
        else
            strText << FormattedString(TEXT("%0.2f"), multiplier) << TEXT("  (") << IntString(scaleCX) << TEXT("x") << IntString(scaleCY) << TEXT(")");

int id = (int)SendMessage(hwnd, CB_ADDSTRING, 0, (LPARAM)strText.Array());
        SendMessage(hwnd, CB_SETITEMDATA, id, (LPARAM)*(DWORD*)&multiplier);

if(CloseFloat(downscale, multiplier))
        {
            if(lastID == CB_ERR)
                SendMessage(hwnd, CB_SETCURSEL, id, 0);
            downscale = multiplier;
            bFoundVal = true;
        }
    }

ROoVhR.jpg

Last edited:

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
With OBS(1) you simply change your base resolution to custom 1920x1080 and fit your sources to the scene to get a 1080p output of a 1440p source.
OBS(2)-MP has custom downscales.

santer

If I change in OBS base resolution to custom (1920*1080), but resolution in my game 2560*1440, then in Stream the part of the screen is cut off and I lose part of the game screen in stream.
If I not correctly understood, then explain in more detail please.

Last edited:

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
You can resize any source by using the "Edit Scene" button while having a preview/recording or stream running and using your mouse. Also its possible to right-click a source and select Position/Size -> Fit to screen, to automatically fit the size of the source to your obs screen size.
See our help file:
http://jp9000.github.io/OBS/general/editmode.html

santer

Thanks!
But the best metod add to options in OBS (change resolution for stream - 360p,480p,720p,1080p,1440p....)

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Downscaled resolutions in OBS are not just a strict list of common output resolutions. It uses a mathematical formula to provide a high-quality downscale to avoid blurriness that can happen when you discard detail. But that only works if you downscale by certain factors (1.5x, 2x, etc.). That is how the list of available resolutions is generated by OBS: It looks at your base resolution and figures out what resolutions it can mathematically downscale to without making the picture too blurry.

So offering a straight list of common output resolutions would result in those resolutions not looking that great. If you want to stream at 1080p, then just set your base resolution to 1080p and resize your sources to fit.

RavenousSix

Downscaled resolutions in OBS are not just a strict list of common output resolutions. It uses a mathematical formula to provide a high-quality downscale to avoid blurriness that can happen when you discard detail. But that only works if you downscale by certain factors (1.5x, 2x, etc.). That is how the list of available resolutions is generated by OBS: It looks at your base resolution and figures out what resolutions it can mathematically downscale to without making the picture too blurry.

So offering a straight list of common output resolutions would result in those resolutions not looking that great. If you want to stream at 1080p, then just set your base resolution to 1080p and resize your sources to fit.

What ends up happening is something worse than having a bit more blurry picture.

I have a 16:10 monitor that runs on 1920x1200 resolution by default. If I try to downscale by 1.5x I end up at 1280x800.

Twitch takes this and downsizes it to 1150x719 and it creates black bars on the side, since it doesn't support 1280x800, but only 1280x720.

I'd rather have an option to downscale to 1280x720 than have black bars on the side of my stream.

This really punishes us 16:10 monitor users. We either run our games at a lower res that's supported and looks worse for us when we play or we end up with black bars while streaming.

Bamse

Well, in order to get a 16:10 source down to non-blackbar 16:9 stream on twitch you'd have to crop your input and after that downscale or whatever else you want to do... so it's not as simple as setting a custom downscale res.
Where should the cropped pixels be taken from, where is the canvas center etc etc. One setting might fit the first person but might piss the second off to no end.

I've streamed some 16:10 before and I had no issue with twitch fcuking with resolutions. However, since my stream was 16:10 (800p), a 16:10 monitor was required to watch it without black bars. Due to the "uncommoness" of 16:10 monitors I got a new 16:9 main monitor fairly quickly :)
I still have 16:10 monitors as utility screens tho.

My personal opinion is that the choice of using "non-standard" (I hope you get what I mean by this) resolutions really can't be put or blamed on OBS, nor or their list to fix it unless pretty much every other feature is completed ;)

Osiris

What ends up happening is something worse than having a bit more blurry picture.

I have a 16:10 monitor that runs on 1920x1200 resolution by default. If I try to downscale by 1.5x I end up at 1280x800.

Twitch takes this and downsizes it to 1150x719 and it creates black bars on the side, since it doesn't support 1280x800, but only 1280x720.

I'd rather have an option to downscale to 1280x720 than have black bars on the side of my stream.

This really punishes us 16:10 monitor users. We either run our games at a lower res that's supported and looks worse for us when we play or we end up with black bars while streaming.

It's silly to worry about black bars added by the twitch player.

RavenousSix

It's silly to worry about black bars added by the twitch player.

How is it silly? It makes it look like its 4:3. Nobody wants to come look at black bars on a stream.

It makes it look like everyone else is in HD and you're stuck in the 90's giving them a 4:3 experience.

It's not silly at all.

You're entitled to your opinion I suppose as am I.

I'm not sure how complicated it would be to code this in and give us a checkbox for "Advanced Scaling Options"

Once you check this box you get to type in your own value instead of a preset one. This option should be reserved for "Advanced Users" who wish to use it at their own risk.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
It is mathematically impossible to downscale from a 16:10 resolution to a 16:9 resolution without distortion. Such downscale filters will not be added.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
That's not really a downscale filter, that's basically just changing the base resolution at that point. And even in that thread, it's in the context of downscaling to a resolution with the same aspect ratio.

djriful

Just type 1920x1080 into those 2 boxes and then on your Sources list, Fit video.

wEZOf8v.png

I have a 2560x1440 here, works just fine.