Question / Help replay buffer not responding

fnole12

at some days i run the replay buffer in the background for multiple hours and somtimes it just stops responding, meaning its not saving any replays and when i try to stop the replay buffer the butten will say: "stopping replay buffer..." and stay like this. while that obs is slowly claiming more and more ram memory. This goes on until i force-close the application.
Any knowlegde on this issue would be appreciated, i was not able to find anything usefull about this.

carlmmii

Just how much time/memory to you have set for the replay buffer? The replay buffer uses your system memory to store the encoding in the background. If I'm reading the logs correctly, that's 7 hours of encoded data that's being stored in RAM, which at the 90Mbps bitrate you have set for your encoder settings, that means you're trying to store 270GB of encoded video data to your memory.

You have 16GB of RAM. That means as soon as windows realizes it doesn't have enough space, it will resort to using the page file, which means it will be constantly reading/writing back and forth to your C: drive, which normally isn't a bad thing for storing video, but is absolutely horrible for operations that are expected to be dealing with RAM.

Limit your replay buffer to something that fits within the memory that you have, while allowing enough for the rest of your system to operate normally. The replay buffer isn't meant for long recording periods -- it's for short snips that happen that you want to catch immediately after they happen. If you need to record long periods, just start an actual recording session. If it turns out that you don't need something from it, delete it afterwards.

fnole12

thanks but i set the time to just 90 seconds and it says it takes about 972 mb of ram for that at the set bitrate
i dont know why there should be 7 hours of footage in the ram

carlmmii

That seems very odd then... Can you get a log file of a test recording by itself (no replay buffer)?

carlmmii

Change your output to .mkv.

.mp4 should never be used for recording -- it requires extra metadata to be written at the end of the file, meaning if anything happens before OBS is able to finalize the recording, the entirety of the video is lost. .mkv does not have this problem, as it's designed to be a streamable container.

Also, what kind of device is your Y: drive? If it's a network drive, that could compound your problems. Recordings should always be done to a local drive if possible.

fnole12

thanks for the help, i'll try that
i used shadowplay befor that and that created mp4 files so i thought it were the standart

Y:\\ is a harddrive not a network drive so that should be fine