Replay Buffer Not Recording For Correct Amount of Time

Jackadoodles

Title. I set the replay buffer to record for 240 seconds (four minutes), and so far it's produced just a single clip (of like 15) that is actually four minutes long. They often come out as 2:32/2:40 minute long clips, sometimes even just a minute or so.

Really frustrating problem, I don't know what it could be that's doing this.

Log: https://obsproject.com/logs/l9f5pRVHl7aCZ7bP

koala

The replay buffer feature uses the recording settings of OBS. If you set some quality based mode like CQP, the actual bitrate depends on the type of video - from zero to infinity. So the actual video length depends on the buffer size. If your video material makes the buffer full in 2 minutes but you want it 4 minutes, double the recording buffer size and you get double the time. This is what the hint on the OBS configuration dialog suggests.

Jackadoodles

I've made the maximum size of the buffer the highest possible number it'll let me input - 8192 MB. You can't even go to 8193.

Interestingly, now that I've checked, the 2:43 videos are actually 7.80 GB or so each, which is much closer to the cap than what they were (rarely breaching 300 MB). To solve that, I guess I just need to turn down the quality, right?

Curiously though, a two minute and thirty second video of Mordhau costs me 7.92 GB, but a full four minute video of VRChat (in VR) only costs me 1.93. Is this just because of the difference in visual quality of the game?

In any case, I reduced the recording quality (for CQP) from 12 to 14. I'll update soon with what changes.

koala

Yes, your CQP value of 12 is ridiculously high. I am not able to see any difference to the original raw at 18 and below.
Regardless the starting CQP value, increasing it by 3 about halves the resulting video, and decreasing by 3 about doubles the resulting video.