Reducing input to program/preview latency

danielmiester

Hi all.
I'm using OBS Studio as a live video switcher for my church, as well as a streaming source for our online viewers.
If we were only going to youtube with the stream, I wouldn't care about the latency, as the services all add their own buffer that dwarfs anything I have control over.
However I am also using the program output to stream locally to various locations in the building as a simulcast, and it's a bit disconcerting that the audio (and video) lags the source in the sanctuary by a noticeable amount, which shows up as an "echo".
Are there any ways to minimize the latency?
Before you ask, our av distribution system is virtually latency free. I've tested it and could find no noticeable latency, whereas there IS a noticeable latency between the live show and what is displayed on my monitors

Thanks in advance!

Tomasz Góral

OBS add delay is normaly, i think is 3-4 frames (150 - 200 ms), I many times connect OBS as switcher to LED screen, in hardware switcher (e.g. ATEM Mini) lags is 1-2 frames. And every screen has own input lags, some TV 40 ms, some other 80 ms.
Don't use OBS as audio monitor for church, better is use audio mixer with separately speakers installation, and second with screen.

If you need use OBS in local network to streaming, use NDI or Teleport plugin.

HofWstreamer

I also use OBS as a switcher in our house of worship. Since much of the delay seems to be in units of frames, I switched to 60 FPS every place I could and shaved 30% off my solution latency. I also noticed turning on NDI outputs appears to add 2 additional frames of latency. At this I don't know why or what I can do to influence the incremental latency due to NDI outputs enabled.