Recording two output formats from a single source

intheskies24

Hi all,
One of the biggest banes of my life is reformating video for multiple output formats (16:9 for desktop, 4:3 for social media, 9:16 for reels, etc.).

Is it possible to have one set of inputs that go to multiple output formats? I realise that the difficulty here is mostly in framing the subject matter so that it is captured for each format. However, if we assume that through clever forethought that is achieved, how is best to record that in OBS?

My example: Filming a "reaction video"
In this scenario, there are two inputs - a YouTube video in browser (captured via Display Capture) and a webcam feed (captured by Video Capture Device)
The outputs are a 16:9 Desktop Scene that you would normally see uploaded to YouTube and a 9:16 Reel scene that you would normally see uploaded to TikTok/ Instagram.
Screenshot 2021-10-07 at 21.19.34.png

Any advice and examples would be greatly appreciated!!
Tom

koala

OBS Studio is able to output one video only. You need to create the different formats with postprocessing software. You can automate this, for example with ffmpeg, a command line tool. With the correct set of command line parameters, you can hardcode the conversion.

First, create a master video with OBS Studio, optionally with some postprocessing. Then prepare a batch file with 3 ffmpeg calls, one creates the desktop video, one creates the social media video, one creates the reel, all from the master video.

mohamad219

OBS Studio is able to output one video only. You need to create the different formats with postprocessing software. You can automate this, for example with ffmpeg, a command line tool. With the correct set of command line parameters, you can hardcode the conversion.

First, create a master video with OBS Studio, optionally with some postprocessing. Then prepare a batch file with 3 ffmpeg calls, one creates the desktop video, one creates the social media video, one creates the reel, all from the master video.
Hello
if I want just to change the rotation for instagram can I use ffmpeg ?
how?
I almost haven't used it but a little
thank you

Catahoula

@intheskies24, were you ever able to work this out? I am looking to do the same. I have my framing all set for the two different profiles (one for 16:9 and other 9:16) and can output each separately, but not simultaneously. I reviewed a tutorial where the person was able to do it with OBS being opened twice, one per set-up... but when I do it, I can still only do one or the other. Any information appreciated!!!

rockbottom

There's no direct record output so you would have to capture the stream(s) but the Multi-RTMP Output plugin can output multiple scenes/resolutions/formats. Just need a decent PC/Nvidia GPU that can handle multiple concurrent encodes.

1701404604235.png

Last edited: