Bug Report Recording gets cut off at the end

obsstudiol0v

Hi,

I'm currently having a problem that I didn't have before with OBS Studio. Every recording I make now is cut off at the end. So I'm not getting the full recording. Some part of every recording before I hit the stop button is not included in the final output. I've googled this problem and it seems other people have/had this problem too (going back to 2015).

This makes it unusable for me, unfortunately.

I included a Log File (click).

Thanks for any help.

koala

Unfortunately, we cannot see anything in the log, because you're using ffmpeg output. Please switch to simple output mode (preferred) or advanced output mode (only if you need to output multiple audio tracks).
Usually, it's sufficient to wait a few seconds and then stop the output to get a complete ending. How much (in seconds) is missing from your recording?

obsstudiol0v

Unfortunately, we cannot see anything in the log, because you're using ffmpeg output. Please switch to simple output mode (preferred) or advanced output mode (only if you need to output multiple audio tracks).
Usually, it's sufficient to wait a few seconds and then stop the output to get a complete ending. How much (in seconds) is missing from your recording?

Hi, I'm already using simple output mode (see pic).
obs-settings.png

The last 30% of every recording is missing. So if I record for 10 seconds, it only gives me 7 seconds. If I record for 70 seconds, it only gives me the first 49 seconds.

obsstudiol0v

UPDATE: I just tried to change the Recording Quality to something else than 'Lossless Quality'. It works fine if I change it to a worse quality. When I change it back to 'Lossless Quality' it's still the same problem. I need the lossless quality, though, so hopefully there is a fix.

Another weird thing: when I click on the stop button it's not stopping immediately. It says 'Stopping Recording ...' and I have to click again to actually make it stop (see pic).

obs-bug.png

koala

You probably don't need lossless quality. The next lower level ("indistinguishable quality") is as it sounds: the human eye isn't still able to distinguish from raw material. That may be the cause for your issues, because lossless quality usually requires an internal SSD as video destination - everything else doesn't have enough throughput or enough write cache. You write to an F: drive, if this is a USB drive, change to some internal drive. USB drives often do not have write cache, so writing there produces lags and lost frames.

By the way, I just realized it, by double-clicking the stop recording function you actually cut off the video ending. The first click stops the encoder, and it is "stopping", because it continues to writes cached data. The second click aborts writing the cached data and terminates writing immediately. So that's actually the cause of your issue.

obsstudiol0v

You probably don't need lossless quality. The next lower level ("indistinguishable quality") is as it sounds: the human eye isn't still able to distinguish from raw material. That may be the cause for your issues, because lossless quality usually requires an internal SSD as video destination - everything else doesn't have enough throughput or enough write cache. You write to an F: drive, if this is a USB drive, change to some internal drive. USB drives often do not have write cache, so writing there produces lags and lost frames.

By the way, I just realized it, by double-clicking the stop recording function you actually cut off the video ending. The first click stops the encoder, and it is "stopping", because it continues to writes cached data. The second click aborts writing the cached data and terminates writing immediately. So that's actually the cause of your issue.

Thanks, I'll try using the lower quality. It's indeed writing to a USB drive. It's a bit strange, though, because it used to work fine.

The double-clicking is probably not the cause, I only leave a couple seconds between the 2 clicks but it can still cut off multiple minutes of recording.

koala

Don't double stop the recording at all. Wait until the "stopping" status is gone by itself.

More1481Pictures

It happened to me to. Especially as of recently. Whenever I record a long video, like a 37 minute video, it cuts almost the entire video and leaves like 3 minutes out of it.