Question / Help Recording gameplay for youtube

WarNikolai

Hi,
Im trying to record gameplays in order to upload them to youtube. The problems is that they are on too low quality... My settins are 1920x1080 and 30 fps. By deafult a 30 min movie its about 500mb but in low quality. I tried to search these forums for settings and tried disabling CBR and set quality to 10, buffer size=0, then using custom x264 encoder crf=15. The quality of the resulting movie is THE SAME as the deafult but the movies this time grows to 3,5GB.

So... Is there any method of recording a good quality movie so that 30 min sizes around 500mb or less?

Thanks you

hilalpro

The finale file size should totally depend on the content that you're recording, more complex scenes with fine details and a lot of motion will require more bitrate to record at that quality or any decent quality.. 1080p in general will not look good with only 1000kbps average bitrate unless you're planning on recordings mostly static/idle stuff.

Here's some tips if you want to keep the file size low
-Change the crf value to something more adequate for your circumstances like 22 or 23.
-Don't move the screen unnecessarily during the recording.
-Downscale to 720p if you have to.

Boildown

Are you taking your raw OBS recording and uploading it to YouTube without first editing it? If so, you'll want to comply with YouTube's H.264 recommendations: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171

The things you'll need to change are setting only 2 bframes (most x264 presets use 3 bframes), and "GOP of half the frame rate", which is another way of saying a key interval of half the framerate. As OBS doesn't support setting a key interval of half the framerate in the GUI, you'll need to set this and the bframes=2 options on OBS' advanced settings page on the custom x264 command line. Use on that line: "bframes=2 keyint=x", where x is equal to half of the fps you're streaming/recording at.

You'll also want to set your audio to 48000 instead of 44100, set the video to High Profile, and never use the UltraFast preset. You can set whatever bitrate you want, but I recommend using a constant rate factor as described in the guide that Feeb linked. I would avoid downscaling. And as YouTube will always reduce any faster framerate down to 30 fps, there's little point in capturing at a framerate higher than that.

The only problem is that I don't think you can reliably do this method and keep the file size under 500 MB. Your best bet to meet that requirement is to capture at a very high bitrate and then re-encode according to YouTube's guidelines with a less-than-realtime encoder, like Handbrake. Ideally you'll use an editor to remove unwanted content from your video first.