Question / Help Recording Audio and Video Separately from Game

SmokieJosh

1. I'm wanting to record videos with my webcam totally separate from my gameplay so I can fix it up/move it during editing.

2. I also want to have the game and mic audio separate as well. I've tried using Audacity to record my mic volume while OBS records my game volume, but I get this weird thing that happens.

2a. My Audacity file turns out shorter than the video even after syncing up where they should be together. (I keep the mic volume on while I do this so I can sync them.) But when I do that, at the end of a 10 minute video, the audio and video is off by like 15 seconds, being the Audacity audio the shorter.

Any help?

Thanks! =D

SmokieJosh

Okay... so i figured out problem #2a... I was a dummy and didn't realize that the audio bitrate on OBS defaults differently than the bitrate for Audacity XD. So that one's good. Can anyone help me on part 1 still?

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Create a second copy of OBS. Use the -multi command line parameter combined with -portable to then open it at the same time as your first copy, and record your webcam separately.

-multi allows you to open multiple instances of OBS.
-portable causes the program to save all its settings to the folder the executable is in instead of to %appdata%\obs

I would recommend creating a shortcut to the second instance, and then adding those command line parameters to the end in the shortcut.

SmokieJosh

I hate to say this, but I am unaware of how to do that.

A Second copy of OBS. Copy and paste the software?
I don't have a clue how to add parameters to OBS.

Thank you for your assistance!

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_14KsWslxc
In your case, setup one OBS to record the game and desktop sound. On the second OBS you setup your webcam and Microphone but mute desktop sound. Set the same start/stop recording hotkeys on both programs (make sure they use different file names for the recording) and you are good to go.

SmokieJosh

Thank you very much. Your video was very helpful. OBS has such a high recording quality, especially for a free software. I love this!