Recording at <1fps when recording r6

5Green

I wanted to try recording Rainbow Six Seige, but when I tab to the game, the output video plays at a very inconsistent frame rate. Sometimes, there are 2-3 frames back to back, and then 2-5 seconds later, another frame appears. Changing the recording quality to indistinguishable does nothing. Using either game/display capture changes nothing. When I record my desktop, it records at a perfect 144 fps, but the moment I tab to siege, the fps just dies. (My FPS in-game is fine; only the video output is terrible.) Anyone got a fix for this?

qhobbes

5Green

oh wait, setting the fps to the common integer (0) rather than fractional (144/1) makes it smooth, however there are still many lag spikes in the recording.

qhobbes

1. To ensure that OBS Studio has the hardware resources it needs for realtime streaming and recording, we recommend disabling the "Game DVR Background Recording" feature via these instructions.
2. Run OBS as Admin. To run OBS as Administrator, right click on the OBS shortcut, properties, advanced, check box, ok, apply, ok.
3. Recording at a tremendously high framerate will not give you higher quality recordings. Usually quite the opposite. Most computers cannot handle encoding at high framerates. This could be contributing to your encoder overload and rendering lag. You can change your OBS frame rate to 60 or 30 in Settings -> Video. Ideally things like refresh rate, source FPS and output FPS should all be even multiples of each other. 144 is not even multiple of 30 or 60 so you may need to adjust your monitor and game settings.
4. Custom FFMPEG output is in use. Only absolute professionals should use this. If you got your settings from a YouTube video advertising "Absolute best OBS settings" then we recommend using one of the presets in Simple output mode instead.
5. Display and Game Capture Sources interfere with each other. Never put them in the same scene (Scene).

If still having issues issue after making those changes, post new log.