Record my zoom meeting mic when open/on only

swabbie

On OBS, i mute the Mic/Aux because I dont want my recordings to capture my breathing while i'm just listening to a zoom call/meeting. But in doing this, when I speak or open my mic on the zoom meeting, OBS cant record my mic/voice because it is muted. Is there a way to record my microphone only when it is enabled or open in zoom?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-26 135752.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-26 135752.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 20

AaronD

OBS has a push-to-talk feature, that connects to a hotkey. If you get used to that, it's a lot better than anything automatic. If you already use that feature in Zoom, then you might even set OBS to use the same key.

swabbie

OBS has a push-to-talk feature, that connects to a hotkey. If you get used to that, it's a lot better than anything automatic. If you already use that feature in Zoom, then you might even set OBS to use the same key.
Thanks for the advice, there's also a push to mute option which is more useful for my situation

pdqpat

In OBS Settings > Audio > Global Audio devices, I chose Integrated Mic array.
In Hotkeys > Mic, I set CTRL+M for both mute and unmute (basically a toggle).
Normally record with Mic muted to prevent audio buzz.
When I want to talk in a Zoom meeting, I turn on Zoom audio, then in OBS I type CTRL+M to unmute the Mic. This produces instant noise but doesn't record my voice. What am I don't wrong?

AaronD

...unmute the Mic. This produces instant noise but doesn't record my voice...
So your mic is noisy. The question is, "Why?"

Is the room actually that noisy? Be brutally honest: your ears to a fantastic job of cleaning it up and ignoring the background, while the machine does not.

What about electrical noise that gets into the wiring for the mic? Things like a refrigerator, air conditioner, light dimmer, or even the computer itself.

It might be good to post a recording of that noise. Different problems sound different. A logfile wouldn't hurt too, from the same session that produced that recording. Help -> Log Files -> Upload... Copy/paste the URL that it gives you, both here and into the automated analyzer that you can get to from my signature.

pdqpat

How is push-to-talk supposed to work? There isn't a way to reverse it. In Zoom, lifting off the space bar turns the mic off.

AaronD

How is push-to-talk supposed to work? There isn't a way to reverse it. In Zoom, lifting off the space bar turns the mic off.
Zoom might be fixed-function, for all I know. OBS, at least, has both push-to-talk and push-to-mute, which return to the opposite state when you release the hotkey; and both Mute and Unmute functions that remain when you release the hotkey. Assigning the same hotkey to both in a pair, makes it a toggle.