Record in Dolby Atmos

rockbottom

Since I went this far I tried streaming 5.1 with MistServer, well damn if it doesn't work. My friends are going to get a kick out of this when I drop it on them.

rockbottom

How about your hardware? I had a Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard in my old PC, stereo only. If I wanted multi-channel audio, I had to switch to the on-board audio.

rockbottom

You verified OBS is set at 5.1, the only other change I made to my normal configuration was to change my speaker configuration from Stereo >> 5.1 & it worked. All of my devices operate @ 24/48.

I just updated all of my mobo drivers last week, audio included. Lots of updates for my 1 year old Z690. Might be worthwhile to go look at what has been released for your mobo by Asrock.

rockbottom

1683323420933.png

rockbottom

In case you haven't noticed & you're encoding AAC, the bit-rate for multi-channel can be set as high as 960 or 1024kb/s.

Settings > Output > Audio

streamfuchs

I have my PC connected via HDMI to my surround sound processor. I am playing back a 5.1 source & capturing the audio with a loopback. OBS is also set for 5.1. Seems to work fine....

View attachment 93829
Hi,

I just read your post from May this year.

I am trying to get Dolby Digital (5.1) out of OBS since 3 day now, without any success.
I tried to use a HDMI audio extractor with a S/PDIF optical output connected to my Dolby Digital Amplifier via fibre.
When playing content with Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital+ content with the legacy windows media player in Windows 11 my amplifier recognizes Dolby Digital.
But when playing the same content with OBS it does not work. Of course the audio preferences are set to 5.1, monitoring device is my HDMI out with the extractor connected.
Did I understood you correctly that you succeeded in getting Dolby 5.1 (AC3) out of the HDMI port??
How have you done this?

Any help is very appreciated because I need to playback and monitor 5.1 content with OBS (if it is possible at all) in the near future

rockbottom

Did I understood you correctly that you succeeded in getting Dolby 5.1 (AC3) out of the HDMI port??
How have you done this?

Any help is very appreciated because I need to playback and monitor 5.1 content with OBS (if it is possible at all) in the near future

Yep

I just followed the directions here:

streamfuchs

Yep

I just followed the directions here:

I just tried again, but without any success.

Just to be shure that it is not a problem of my HDMI-audio extractor (which works as it should when using the legacy video player in Windows 11 but not with OBS so far) lets double check:

Your surround sound processor connected via HDMI indicates Dolby Digital and is going to decode 5.1 channels when playing back 5.1 sources in OBS?? So you can monitor 5.1 sources played in OBS via your processor?

If this is the fact: Would it be possible to provide screenshots of your settings for the tabs:

AUDIO and
OUTPUT (with subtaps STREAMING, RECORDING and AUDIO - if this is important to take into account.)

I am doing something wrong but have no idea what.

Thanks a lot.

rockbottom

HDMI is connected directly from my 3090 to my SSP, there's nothing in between.

Your entire audio chain needs to be in 5.1 or whatever multi-channel setting(s) you are using for it to work correctly. See posts 25 to 30 above.

streamfuchs

In think that this is the (only) solution.
My thought error was that I was not aware of the fact that HDMI is capable of transmitting multichannel PCM audio via HDMI up to 8 channels.
So the audio does not necessarely has to be bitstream coded (as Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital + etc.) what OBS provides when "reading" sources but not when giving audio to the output.
And because S/PDIF - Toslink is only capable of transporting 2 channel PCM audio or coded bitstream I could not have any success by using a HDMI audio extractor / USB audio device and a toslink port for getting 5.1channels out of OBS.
I will have the opportunity of testing the direct HDMI connection with a suitable Surround Decoder next week.
Should work, let´s see.

streamfuchs

Today I can confirm it:
With a direct HDMI connection between OBS and a suitable Surround Decoder I was successful in transmitting 5.1 audio.
Good news.

Hi,
I want to capture a video playing on my PC. This video is in Dolby Atmos.
Is it possible to record it with OBS, so that the recording is also in Dolby Atmos?
Thank for help.
Joel
You won't get atmos out of it. You'd need to bring it into something like Davinci Resolve Studio.
If you're looking for just the spatial aspects of it you could try this with OBS.