Record in Dolby Atmos

Joel.

Hi,
I want to capture a video playing on my PC. This video is in Dolby Atmos.
Is it possible to record it with OBS, so that the recording is also in Dolby Atmos?
Thank for help.
Joel

AaronD

I doubt it. At least not in digital form. Same answer for *any* proprietary format. OBS is free and open-source, so it's not going to include anything that itself costs money.

Joel.

What about 5.1?
I know OBS supports it, but how to use it. But how can I record my PC audio in 5.1?

AaronD

It has nothing to do with channel count. 5.1 is simply 6 ordinary channels with predefined destinations, just like stereo is 2 channels with predefined destinations.

OBS supports anything from mono (1 channel) to 7.1 (8 channels), but there's nothing proprietary about any of it.
1683303715411.png

Joel.

But I have problems recording my audio with more than 2 channels. With an audio output capture there are only 2 channels. Than I tried it with applycation audio capture. Than there are 6 channels shown in the audio mixer, but the audio only plays at 2 channels even if I play 5.1 audio and I hear it correctely in my headphones.

AaronD

You have 6-channel headphones? I've seen those, with multiple speakers in each cup, but I've always considered them to be a gimmick. Others have some processing of their own to convert 6 or 8 channels into what it supposedly sounds like to our ears, and then plays that in a single speaker per cup. Which kind do you have, and how well does it actually work?

Anyway, yes, OBS has had much less testing with more than 2 channels. I would not expect to do anything more than a dumb passthrough with that. For example, the pan/balance control seems to be hard-coded for stereo, regardless of the actual channel count, which makes it useless to control anything more than stereo.

Do you actually get a 6-channel recording with OBS set to 5.1? Or is that hard-coded to stereo too?

rockbottom

I have my PC connected via HDMI to my surround sound processor. I am playing back a 5.1 source & capturing the audio with a loopback. OBS is also set for 5.1. Seems to work fine....

1683308973374.png

rockbottom

Nice bit-rate...

Audio​

ID :2
Format :PCM
Format settings :Little / Signed
Codec ID :in24
Duration :12 s 971 ms
Bit rate mode :Constant
Bit rate :6 912 kb/s
Channel(s) :6 channels
Channel layout :L R C LFE Lb Rb
Sampling rate :48.0 kHz
Bit depth :24 bits
Stream size :10.7 MiB (30%)
Default :Yes
Alternate group :1

Joel.

You have 6-channel headphones? I've seen those, with multiple speakers in each cup, but I've always considered them to be a gimmick. Others have some processing of their own to convert 6 or 8 channels into what it supposedly sounds like to our ears, and then plays that in a single speaker per cup. Which kind do you have, and how well does it actually work?

Anyway, yes, OBS has had much less testing with more than 2 channels. I would not expect to do anything more than a dumb passthrough with that. For example, the pan/balance control seems to be hard-coded for stereo, regardless of the actual channel count, which makes it useless to control anything more than stereo.

Do you actually get a 6-channel recording with OBS set to 5.1? Or is that hard-coded to stereo too?
I actually don't even know which type of headphines I have, sorry.
My OBS is set to 5.1. But when playing 5.1 media only 2 bars in the applycation audio capture move.

rockbottom

There does seem to be a routing problem using VLC for playback with OBS. The Center Channel & Left Surround Channel are swapped. When I play the BD (Avatar) directly with VLC audio routing is OK.

All channels are in the correct position using Media Source.

AaronD

My OBS is set to 5.1. But when playing 5.1 media only 2 bars in the applycation audio capture move.
Does your source material only have those two channels active during your test? Just because you have 6 channels, doesn't necessarily mean that *all* of them must *always* have something in them.

Music that is intended to be stereo, for example, may only exist in the front corners. Dialogue might be center only. Etc.

rockbottom

Correct, but OP also needs to make sure the entire audio chain is 5.1 or better.

I'm running my on-board audio @ 5.1. Normally it's in Stereo. Saw the thread & was interested.

Joel.

Does your source material only have those two channels active during your test? Just because you have 6 channels, doesn't necessarily mean that *all* of them must *always* have something in them.

Music that is intended to be stereo, for example, may only exist in the front corners. Dialogue might be center only. Etc.
I used this test video: https://ia600406.us.archive.org/7/i...ormatsAACAC3MP4DTSWAV/surroundTest - Copy.mp4

I played it in chrome and it didn't work via audio output capture or applycation audio capture. Then I downloaded it and used it as media source. But for media souces OBS only shows 2 channels in the audio mixer. There are only 2 bars. But for me I want to record a video playing in the browser.

rockbottom

5.1 from beginning to recording or no 5.1.

I'm impressed, the recording won't make me forget the BD has DTS-HD MA but it sounds really good.

Joel.

I have a video in my browser. It's 5.1. I want to record it in OBS in 5.1. When using an udio output capture or applycation audio capture it's stereo. Is there a way to fix this?

rockbottom

I'm using Audio Output Capture (Loopback) of the HDMI out from my 3090. I only tested VLC & Media Source, didn't bother with the browser so I'm not sure.

Joel.

Media source also didn't work for me. In the audio mixer there are only two bars even for 5.1 videos.

rockbottom

I'm using the on-board audio, it's set @ 5.1 along with OBS. They are the only changes I made to my set-up & I was recording 5.1.