Record button does not work 2nd time without restart of OBS

tvak66

Winodws10 environment I can make a recording once. After stop if I wan to new recording, pressing Start button does not work. Logs file dont have any entry of starting 2nd recording.
Only way to start new recording is to exit from OBS, kill process using task manager and start OBS again.
Using keyboard shotcuts does not help here.

Any idea where to look resolution. PC is ZBook 15. With HP Probook 850 it work perfectly all the time.

fgaffney

I've been having the exact same issue of late. Sometimes I can record multiple times using Start/Stop and other times I need to end the OBS process in Task Manager. The Start Recording button just turns grey (not greyed out) and does nothing if I try to record a 2nd time?

Does anyone have a fix/workaround? Unfortunately there's not much else on the web that relates to this issue so I'm thinking it's not that widespread?

Windows 10 19042.1083 / Ryzen 7 3800X / RX 5700XT (drivers up to date)

konsolenritter

Some people find that's related to the AMF (AMD) encoder.

Eshshshshsh

I am having an issue where I can start but not stop recording. Using AMD encoder, but it did work well till yesterday...at the same time I did update Radeon software yesterday as well so I will try x264 then I guess. Will let you know if that helped.

Eshshshshsh

Thanks a bunch, indeed switching to x264 did solve the issue, OBS again working as per usual. I guess the latest Radeon software is the cause / both are incompatible at least. OBS might raise it to AMD I guess.

fgaffney

Back to the OP... I'm still needing to restart OBS on my main PC if I need to make multiple recordings. It works fine on my laptop and I can stop and start all day long if I like without shutting it down and re-launching.
Anyone have a fix for this?

konsolenritter

If you have newer AMD software installed and this issue, follow up here:

ocen45

I have same issue. X264 encoder is working very well but AMD encoders has problem. How can we solve this without downgrade our drivers?

konsolenritter

@koala If thats true, those information should be pinned in the forum at top. Just to mention the number of AMF/AMD users experiencing problems recently (over the last weeks)...

koala

Since I don't have a AMD GPU myself, I'm unable to verify my assumption. It's just what I guess if I compare the issues people have with the OBS-internal encoder with the availability of a different AMD encoder within StreamFX. According to the StreamFX documentation, it contains an interface for the AMD encoder available with the ffmpeg library, which seems different to what OBS itself provides.

Slayer1976

If you have newer AMD software installed and this issue, follow up here:
I have the same issue, tried the x264 workaround but that just meant I could record for a littel longer than when using AMD encoder (four recordings instead of two). My AMD software version is 21.6.1, so the problem is not in 21.6.2 at least.

Any ideas on a workaround yet without downgrading drivers?

galaxial

Same problem here!! I just updated my 6800xt to the latest driver update and this is happening to me. I can press record once, but once i try to start another recording, nothing happens and I have to restart OBS! Its obvious this is a problem pointing to updating to the latest AMD drivers... Ughh. this is annoying. Any fix for you guys yet???

habibulislam6862

1629535299585.png
My obs start recording button suddenly was not working ,,But after changing recording encoder to Software x264, it is working well. thank you..

joserolando

I am having this problem too. I am absolute newbie to recording. Radeon Software ver 21.6.1, OBS 27.0.1. Using H264 encoder. First recording is fine. But on 2nd attempt to record, after clicking start recording, nothing happens. It doesn't load. I cannot exit OBS either, i have to kill the process via task manager.