Question / Help Random Recording Lag While Recording In 240FPS

ekulfn

I am trying to record in 240 fps for my gameplay videos, but the recording will have random lag spikes throughout the entire video. Here are the output settings. Can anyone help please? Thanks!
obs64_PMJJgrqER7.png

Tarumes

Hello

and please post a logfile
https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/please-post-a-log-with-your-issue-heres-how.23074/

Please try to include a recording/streaming session when you experience problems while streaming or recording,
as OBS only writes important performance data during recording or streaming sessions.

If you have solved your problem yourself, please let the others know how you did it If someone else has the same problem,
he will find your post, read it through, is no step closer to solving it, and has wasted some time.

ekulfn

Hello

https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/please-post-a-log-with-your-issue-heres-how.23074/

Please try to include a recording/streaming session when you experience problems while streaming or recording,
as OBS only writes important performance data during recording or streaming sessions.

If you have solved your problem yourself, please let the others know how you did it If someone else has the same problem,
he will find your post, read it through, is no step closer to solving it, and has wasted some time.
https://obsproject.com/logs/_1KJIpYiv5XSnAr1 and ill go upload the video now

ekulfn

Hello

heres the video with the problem occurring https://youtu.be/ytsszm3tp9I

D

Deleted member 121471

1) Run OBS as administrator;
2) Only have a single capture source per scene, as they always incur a performance hit, even if disabled;
3) Cap your FPS;
4) Don't record at 240 FPS as that is beyond pointless and the solution to every single minecraft OBS issue posted in these forums.

These settings aside, I also recommend changing YUV colour space to "709", YUV colour range to "Partial" and you should be able to run a lower CQP number without any encoding lag, 16-23 is the range to aim for (lower number= higher quality and larger filesize).

Here's a hint for competitive play. Past a certain value, higher FPS does not help AT ALL. In your case, capping it at 120FPS will stabilize the frametimes for a significantly more consistent experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

ekulfn

2) Only have a single capture source per scene, as they always incur a performance hit, even if disabled;
3) Cap your FPS;
4) Don't record at 240 FPS as that is beyond pointless and the solution to every single minecraft OBS issue posted in these forums.

These settings aside, I also recommend changing YUV colour space to "709", YUV colour range to "Partial" and you should be able to run a lower CQP number without any encoding lag, 16-23 is the range to aim for (lower number= higher quality and larger filesize).

Here's a hint for competitive play. Past a certain value, higher FPS does not help AT ALL. In your case, capping it at 120FPS will stabilize the frametimes for a significantly more consistent experience.
my fps is capped at 240, im not capping it below 144 because i have a 144hz monitor, and there is a amazing point to recording in 240fps it makes the video super smooth after it’s rendered and i’m looking to find a fix to recording in 240fps, not just being able to record in any fps without lag. i’ll take your advice for the color and cqp number and i’ll let you know what it comes out too. thanks!

D

Deleted member 121471

Other volunteers can offer further assistance since you're unwilling to follow instructions. Good luck with your recordings.

ekulfn

Other volunteers can offer further assistance since you're unwilling to follow instructions. Good luck with your recordings.
what? i said i wanted to record at 240fps not 60. i will change the settings you told me but not the fps because that ruins the whole recording.

carlmmii

For anything past 60fps, you're honestly better off trying to use shadowplay for recording. OBS and any other recording problem requires a LOT of video data to be sent around, and what you're asking for is 4x the bandwidth that normal recording requires, which is already a big strain on PCIe transfer speed alone, just to go from GPU to CPU and back again. Not to mention, the higher the framerate, the lower the turnaround time has to be for the frame to be included before OBS has to give up on it because it's missed the timing requirement for doing things in real-time. Again, this will be limited by transfer rate over the PCIe bus.

Shadowplay has the unique ability to handle the entire video pipeline on-device, meaning it is not restricted with having to send data over the PCIe bus. That is the only feasible way to capture extremely high framerates.

That said, I would at least try lowering your recorded framerate to 120fps. 240fps is absolutely overkill for any recording medium unless the intent is to produce slo-mo playback.

ekulfn

For anything past 60fps, you're honestly better off trying to use shadowplay for recording. OBS and any other recording problem requires a LOT of video data to be sent around, and what you're asking for is 4x the bandwidth that normal recording requires, which is already a big strain on PCIe transfer speed alone, just to go from GPU to CPU and back again. Not to mention, the higher the framerate, the lower the turnaround time has to be for the frame to be included before OBS has to give up on it because it's missed the timing requirement for doing things in real-time. Again, this will be limited by transfer rate over the PCIe bus.

Shadowplay has the unique ability to handle the entire video pipeline on-device, meaning it is not restricted with having to send data over the PCIe bus. That is the only feasible way to capture extremely high framerates.

That said, I would at least try lowering your recorded framerate to 120fps. 240fps is absolutely overkill for any recording medium unless the intent is to produce slo-mo playback.
i will try 120 but i’m telling you, 144 looked horrible to me that’s why i went up to 240. i just don’t understand why there are so many people that have no issues with it. i am never dropping below the fps i’m recording at as i have an i7 9700k and a rtx 2070 super which is definitely more than enough to be able to do what i’m trying to do. i’m going to try stress testing my system because sometimes google chrome will freeze for no reason but my game is completely fine and i feel like that might be happening to obs as well and maybe that’s causing the issue. thanks for the help!

Sukiyucky

You said you are watching with a 144Hz monitor.

A hertz is cycle per second
FPS is frames per second

60 Hz = 60 FPS
144 Hz = 144 FPS
240 Hz = 240 FPS

So think here. What happens when your game is cranking out 240 frames per second. How is a 144 Hz (144 FPS) monitor going to keep up in displaying all 240 frames? It can't.

40% of the frames are going to be dismissed by your 144Hz monitor. Of course its going to look bad.

If you want to see all 240 frames, you need to use a 240Hz monitor.

ekulfn

3) Cap your FPS;

did everything said in the middle paragraph, fixed! thanks! 240fps does still work without lag now.