Question / Help Random Freeze even only recording

Xaymar

If you want to see the actual RAM speed that your system is set up with, use the SPD tab in CPU-Z. DRAM Frequency is the current not the maximum speed. It's also the true speed, as DDR is running at twice that frequency. For 1064.5Mhz, That would be 2129 Mhz, or 2133 Mhz more likely.

If you want to run the RAM at higher frequency (dunno why you're even looking at that, 2133 Mhz is more than enough), update your BIOS to the latest version (the one with AGESA 1.0.0.6) and edit the timings in the BIOS - I will not tell you how to do this, you'll be on your own if you want to do that. Not that you'd get it much higher than that, dual and quad DIMM support for Ryzen is terrible.

SoulOfDerp

If you want to see the actual RAM speed that your system is set up with, use the SPD tab in CPU-Z. DRAM Frequency is the current not the maximum speed. It's also the true speed, as DDR is running at twice that frequency. For 1064.5Mhz, That would be 2129 Mhz, or 2133 Mhz more likely.

If you want to run the RAM at higher frequency (dunno why you're even looking at that, 2133 Mhz is more than enough), update your BIOS to the latest version (the one with AGESA 1.0.0.6) and edit the timings in the BIOS - I will not tell you how to do this, you'll be on your own if you want to do that. Not that you'd get it much higher than that, dual and quad DIMM support for Ryzen is terrible.

I just want to fix this. If its not gonna help, I am not going to bother. But thanks for clearing that up for me.

So I am out of ideas yet again, and the problem still stand.........

Last edited:

SoulOfDerp

I'll be buying another RAM stick soon, but I'm afraid it may not be the source of this problem since Soul's PC is running in dual channel mode and he has the same issue. I'll also try to get a second HDD to do some testing (in my FX6300/DDR3 build I had only 1 HDD and had no frame drops).
How new is your other stuff, such as HDD?

Because when I switch the output file to SSD from HDD, it seems to have no issue. I recorded 2 OW games just now with 60FPS with ultra in-game setting smoothly.

I now suspect the seller did not format the HDD before delivering the PC to me, since their service scope was just assembling the components and install windows+drivers.

Knzchaos

My HDD is the same as my old build (Seagate Barracuda 1tb 7200), it's a year and a half old. I did reinstall windows twice after replacing my PC parts so I doubt it's the problem lol (unless it's starting to die of course)

I'm a bit suspicious the HDD is at fault here, since both gpu&cpu render struggles with it, it may be dying after all but I have no way to test right now. I'll try to borrow one from a friend or something just for testing.

Last edited:

richard89

CPUZ shows DRAM Frequency to be 1064.5 MHz

My RAM is Corsair VENGEANCE® LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000MHz C15 - White LED

It should be 3k MHz.... right? So I am only getting 1/3 of the speed?

This probably has little to do with the video stuttering during recording. I have mine running at 3200MHz and the same issue occurs where the video stutters when viewing recording playback.

richard89

I found out the problem. The video playback file needs to be played from your primary (faster?) SSD. If you have an older HDD that is slow, playing files back from that hard drive may possibly cause some delays due to the way it reads during playback.

SoulOfDerp

I found out the problem. The video playback file needs to be played from your primary (faster?) SSD. If you have an older HDD that is slow, playing files back from that hard drive may possibly cause some delays due to the way it reads during playback.

No... it cant be it. I can save to my 8 year old EXTERNAL HARDRIVE with less then 10 frame drop after 5 min of recording. But my HDD have like 100 frames drop every minute.

So yeah... I can now confirm for me, HDD is the problem. Something's wrong about my HDD.

Last edited:

richard89

I actually think that since the HDD is a secondary drive, that it takes longer to read, so all you have to do is let it load/buffer/time before it starts to read smoothly and you wont get the lag in the recordings.

SoulOfDerp

So I moved the HDD from my old PC to the new, and tested again. So only the new HDD from my new PC has this problem. my old HDD works, my external hard drive (which is 8 years old btw) also works. So something is wrong with my new HDD but I dont know what. But at least now I can record it to my old HDD or even my new SSD.

This is a bypass of the problem, not exactly a fix, but I have to live with it for now.

Knzchaos

It's kinda a fix because your HDD is most likely failing. I have just tested "Resident Evil HD Remaster" and randomly the game will freeze for a second when loading the next pre-rendered scenario, so I'm 90% sure my problem is also a failing HDD =\ Kinda sad but we have to accept that PC parts do fail.

SoulOfDerp

It's kinda a fix because your HDD is most likely failing. I have just tested "Resident Evil HD Remaster" and randomly the game will freeze for a second when loading the next pre-rendered scenario, so I'm 90% sure my problem is also a failing HDD =\ Kinda sad but we have to accept that PC parts do fail.
Sadly I still have no fix for the in-game freeze for The Surge.

Turns out its another unknown cause afterall.

SoulOfDerp

Do you perhaps experience this issue? https://community.amd.com/thread/216835

I've only been able to fix it with 16.11.5, which increased the power draw by ~300% (USV reported 1500W from the entire PC, 2x the PSU rate wattage)

I think they are talking about driver bug for AMD GPU? I cant even try that fix as I am not using AMD GPU and uninstalled AMD GPU driver after I test with my old display card.

Basically for my case, both AMD and Nv GPU cause the freeze in that game only.

Last edited:

Xaymar

I think they are talking about driver bug for AMD GPU? I cant even try that fix as I am not using AMD GPU and uninstalled AMD GPU driver after I test with my old display card.

Basically for my case, both AMD and Nv GPU cause the freeze in that game only.

Oh my bad, i thought you had the issue only on the "AMD R9 280x" you mentioned earlier. Don't know what's causing it for both - if you've already gone through the usual (disable AV, disable any kind of game enhancer/mode, close all background processes) then I don't know.

SoulOfDerp

uOYcmu5.png

I am speechless. Steam is not installed there, game is not installed there, but somehow it cause the HDD to spike at 100% and GPU/CPU load becomes 0%.

Sorry... kind of off topic here since its no longer OBS problem, but its the same case.

c3r1c3

Is that attached to the Native AMD chipset SATA port, or a 3rd party (like Asmedia or Marvell) chipset?

If it's not on the AMD SATA ports, please try moving it to there.