Question / Help Random Freeze even only recording

SoulOfDerp

I just got my new PC with have a Ryzen R7 1700, 16GB ram and GTX 1070 (WIN10) and from Open Hardware Monitor, CPU usage never go higher then 25% and GPU usage never go higher then 50%. Was using OBS classic in WIN7 on my old PC with way worse hardwares.

At first I though its bitrate and stuff, but I found that when streaming, the freezes happens at the exact moments compare with the output mp4 file. So I tried recording only without streaming, the random freezes still happens. I lower the bitrate from 3000 to 1500, FPS from 60 to 30, doesnt seems to improve. Still random freezes 1-2 times per minute.

I also tried different games, overwatch, dark souls 3, the surge. And overwatch have the most freezes, dark souls 3 better, the surge having the least amount of freezes, but it still happens. Tried both OBS classic and OBS studio, both tried to lower bitrate and FPS, doesnt seems to affect the frequency of those freezes. Like I am not even really playing the games when I test recording, I am just hitting the wall/looking at heroes emotes and stuff.

Basically, I tried everything I can find/think of, streaming/not streaming, classic/studoi, 1500 bitrate/3000 bitrate, 30 FPS/60FPS, nothign seems to afect the freezes. They dont seems to happen more frequent for the same game.

Also, sound never have any issue. It is smooth as hell and never lags, its only the video that have random freezes.

Any kind of suggestions would be really appreciated.

EDIT: update on 11 Jun 2017, in my case it is the HDD that is failing me. If I set the recording output location to my SSD, my external hard drive, basically no frame drops. It also works after I move my old HDD to my new PC and set the output there.

No idea what is wrong with the new HDD, I even formatted the new HDD and the output there still have random freezes.

Just leaving this here for other people to consider as one of the reason, just in case someone google this.

Attachments

• 2017-06-06 22-35-39.txt
    11.4 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

SoulOfDerp

No because some say not going over v. Fast fix the lag when googled. Will try that too when I get home.

Can you explain a little bit about what this does please?

Last edited:

richard89

I have this issue as well with my new Ryzen PC where it stutters/freezes/lags for 1-2 seconds every 10 seconds or so. Here's my log. PLease help me thanks.

Attachments

• 2017-06-04 23-28-38.txt
    24.5 KB · Views: 38

SoulOfDerp

I have this issue as well with my new Ryzen PC where it stutters/freezes/lags for 1-2 seconds every 10 seconds or so. Here's my log. PLease help me thanks.

Do you happen to have in-game freeze as well or only recording? I have problem with The Surge but Dark Souls 3 and Iverwatch runs smoothly in game. But recording have this issue across the games I tested.

richard89

Actually I don't have in game lag at all until I set process priority to above normal. Only on the recording does it show skipping/freezing.

Knzchaos

I was having this problem in Windows 10 as well and now I just reinstalled Win7 and still didn't test to see if the problem is fixed for me (will post update after I test it.)

Is your RAM a single stick?

(BTW my rig is a i5-6500 750ti & 8gb ddr4 Single-channel)

EDIT: Windows 7 didn't help at all. There's a problem somewhere else.
When I had a FX6300 and 8gb DDR3 it used to work just fine on W7...
Maybe it is the single stick RAM but I need to confirm it first.

Last edited:

Knzchaos

I meant that maybe running it on a single stick could be the problem, but you have the same issue even though you're running on dual-channel. What is your motherboard brand? And PSU?

SoulOfDerp

I am using ab350 gaming 3 MB and Antec NeoEco II Series NEO-ECO2-550 80Plus Bronze 550W PSU.

I am starting to think the ram or display card is faulty. Literally nothing changes when I go from max setting to lowest. Both obs and in game.

Knzchaos

You're having literally the same issue as me. Game and recording settings doesn't matter at all, frames are still skipped. The only thing in common I found was the Gigabyte brand mobo, maybe a bios setting or something, otherwise I have no idea why this is happening.

My mobo is a H110M-H.

Which brand is your RAM stick?

Last edited:

SoulOfDerp

Corsair VENGEANCE® LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000MHz C15 - White LED

Do you happen to have the game The Surge or do you have any games that have simliar freeze in game (audio and background sound totally fine, just combat is paused). I found that any other game I tried having no problem but The Surge having simliar freeze.

And not sure if it matters but I dont seem to be able to get temperature reading for my cpu.

Knzchaos

I have frame skip in any game I try to record. Tested Tomb Raider (2013) and GTA: Episodes from Liberty City. I don't have The Surge so unfortunately can't test it =/
Audio is always perfect, just the video freezes for a few frames (sometimes even a second).

Is your CPU reaching 100% while recording?

SoulOfDerp

No, my cpu doesnt even go over 20% most of the time. So you have this freeze even when playing the game? The only game so far that has this problem is The Surge. Other games only the output mp4 have the frame skipping problem. The game itself runs ok even during the recording.

But when The Surge freezes, both gpu load and gpu memory control drops to 0 to 1% from 50 to 60%.

Knzchaos

In my case the game runs perfectly fine, but the recording ends up with frame skips; I also use .mp4 output.
It's strange since I was able to run OBS just fine with the same videocard and a weaker processor before (FX 6300)

Do you have any kind of problem with Shadowplay?

Last edited: