Question / Help Quicksync footage not properly recognized by Sony Vegas

chummy

Hello guys. Since i updated OBS-Studio to newest branch with new Quicksync implementation i recently tested recording with it. But i just stuck with a simple glitch, while other encoders like Handbrake recognize it without problem Sony Vegas create image artifacts with this version of Quicksync. I need to reencode OBS Quicksync footage with Handbrake before editing it in Sony Vegas to work proper with it.

Someone has some idea what is happening?

Suslik V

I think, you need to provide more info, like file format, settings, vegas version etc. Screenshot of the artifacts is welcomed. And maybe OBS Studio's log-file from that recording attempt (where issue is present).

Maybe it has something to do with VLC giving gray screen when I click on navigation bar to skip to another part of file. Bug disappears after ~1 sec
Recording to FLV. Remux to MP4 in OBS fixes it.

Attachments

• 2016-05-06 15-50-50.txt
    15.9 KB · Views: 44
  • vlcsnap-error568.png
    vlcsnap-error568.png
    836.9 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

Suslik V

Close the Studio and the Game. Then try VLC - it is only hw overlay issue, the recordings usually hasn't artifacts.

Last edited:

Suslik V

PC with APU on-board - even x264 and .mp4 acts the same as your vlc screen (tested by myself). See no bug. Large resolution - more often grey appear on screen at start of playback - only playback(!), recordings are just fine (I can use other player, codecs, software).

I think, if player starts playback from keyframe - image is ok, other way - it decode all frames from last keyframe to current position as fast as it can (a lot of cpu usage) or skip them (thus, until keyframe appear in file-stream, you'll see only artifacts) or make positioning only by keyframes. If you have other thoughts - post more.

something fishy here, I have never seen it before I started using QS. Only QS made FLV have this issue. files from nvenc and x264 were always fine for me no matter what. but yes, looks like its only playback and its fixable with remux in obs itself.

chummy

The raw Studio QS video runs properly in my MPC and windows 10 player. The problem only happens in Sony Vegas preview(inside Vegas) and the video output after rendering with Vegas. I think the settings OBS team is using in new Quicksync implementation is not well accepted by Vegas since Vegas is known to have bad compatibility with codecs.

I say that because the old Quicksync from OBS1 and even the AMF QS in Studio cause no problem with Vegas, but the new one which replace the AMF is causing this.

I'm having the same problem, and my quick sync uses a Intel HD 4000 in a i5 3570k.
I read somewhere that the problem can be the DX11 that OBS uses to encode, and we should set the QuickSync parameters to run it with DX9. The problem is that OBS only allow parameters to x264 and not to QuickSync. :(

edit: The post is this one: https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/strange-results-with-quick-sync.7239/
I'm not sure how this post is relevant today because obs studio introduced new implementation of quicksync in 0.14 version
If I'm correct @Palana is the awesome guy who coded QSV into OBS Studio, maybe he could shed some light on this or have some tip

chummy

I'm not sure how this post is relevant today because obs studio introduced new implementation of quicksync in 0.14 version
If I'm correct @Palana is the awesome guy who coded QSV into OBS Studio, maybe he could shed some light on this or have some tip
Problem is than Vegas dont update codecs, they keep using old implementations of everything. Sony Vegas is a piece of crap to codec compatibility, unfortunately. They introduced Quicksync in the Sandy bridge launch and since then they dont even touched it. While most softwares out there like OBS/Hanbrake etc are capable to use quicksync without a cable connection to screen, Sony Vegas quicksync only works if you connect the Igpu to some Screen.

The good thing is than when i reencode with Quicksync from Handbrake, Vegas then works perfectly, so at least i got workaround.

Ratu

Problem is than Vegas dont update codecs, they keep using old implementations of everything. Sony Vegas is a piece of crap to codec compatibility, unfortunately. They introduced Quicksync in the Sandy bridge launch and since then they dont even touched it. While most softwares out there like OBS/Hanbrake etc are capable to use quicksync without a cable connection to screen, Sony Vegas quicksync only works if you connect the Igpu to some Screen.

The good thing is than when i reencode with Quicksync from Handbrake, Vegas then works perfectly, so at least i got workaround.

I use MoviePlus X6 to edit my videos and I use OBS with QuickSync to record (720p60).
When I open the file on MoviePlus, it shows a lot of frames completely black, like if they were skipped or something during recording. Now, if I record using Nvenc or X264, all frames come out correctly.

Last night I reinstalled my Windows 10 and tried to record using the Microsoft driver for my Intel Graphics and then installed the latest driver version from Intel. Both recordings came out with the same problem.

I even changed the advanced OBS option to use OpenGL instead of DX11, but looking at the log, the encoding kept using DX11 for everything.

I'm going to post a log and some screenshots when I get home. :)

Ratu

Hello guys. Since i updated OBS-Studio to newest branch with new Quicksync implementation i recently tested recording with it. But i just stuck with a simple glitch, while other encoders like Handbrake recognize it without problem Sony Vegas create image artifacts with this version of Quicksync. I need to reencode OBS Quicksync footage with Handbrake before editing it in Sony Vegas to work proper with it.

Someone has some idea what is happening?

Hello Chummy.
After a lot of testing I have two possible solutions for you:

1) Use OBS Classic to record using QuickSync;
2) Use OBS Studio but change the file format from .mp4 to .ts

I'm currently using the option number 2 and recording at 1080p60, no problems so far.

Hope it helps. :)

i have same gray artifacts with MP4, MKV and TS. strange because its only in VLC.
MPC-HC is making a little pause when I skip videos instead of bugging image, so its like some keyframe sync issue somewhere. issue is nonexistent in x264 recorded MP4s - they skip instantly no matter filesize
i just tried to use QSV in MSI afterburner saving to mkv and it worked ok also, but they probably using media foundation version
for those interested https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186453-how-to-record-gameplay-with-perfect-quality-no-fraps/

Last edited:

chummy

@Mroczny_Gustaw Afterburner is not designed to recording, its just a workaround there. Afterburner has variable framerates which will be a major problem to those wanting to upload it later. Afterburner has bigger performance overhead too, OBS keep higher fps in game while recording with same encoder.

Afterburner only worth if want record 30fps since your game dont drop below 35, or have very powerful rig to keep minimum in game fps above 70 to record 60fps.

Variable framerate is a no go for gameplay recording.