Question / Help Question about resolution downscaling.

Ramthen

Hi! I recently tried out OBS and I got it to to everything I wanted and more, but I've been having a slight issue with the resolution downscaling. Basically, I only stream in around 480p because my CPU is a bit weak (i7 720QM), and I noticed downscaling the resolution it has a hard time with text on screen, I've tried custom setting it to 854x480 and a direct 2.0 downscale from my base resolution which was 800x450, I also tried 960x540 which obviously looked the best, but even at that it wasn't great. The text is usually extremely blurry. (I'm focusing on text because it's most noticeable on that, but everything loses a lot of sharpness)

Now, don't get me wrong, I know that just happens on lower resolutions, but it seems worse than it should be, the best thing I can relate it to is streaming with FME/SCFH and not turning on bilinear filtering on SCFH, so I don't know if there is a correct way to downscale or if there is some kind of filter I can use to help clean it up. Any help would be appreciated!

That said, OBS is going to become my main streaming software, this is the only negative I have found with it, and it's fairly minor, and there are so many benefits over other streaming programs.

Thanks! If you need any more information let me know.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
ah, yes, there may be a bug that makes downscaling a little less accurate than it's supposed to be at the moment. I'll try to get it fixed in the next version.

Ramthen

Thanks for that! OBS really does have everything I want in a streaming program, so I cannot thank you enough for the effort you put into it. Every other program I've tried just has so many various issues or just lacks basic features.

So again, thanks, and keep up the great work!

Ramthen

Figured I'd update this post instead of the other one.

I just went back and tested for the sake of testing a full screen image downscale and grabbed some images of 3 icons on my desktop with various streaming programs.

OBS: Custom 854x480 / Direct 2.0 Downscale (800x450)
FFsplit: 854x480 / 800x450
FME/SCFH: 960x540 Input/854x480 Output, Bilinear Off / 960x540 Input/854x480 Output, Bilinear On
Xsplit: 854x480, Text Resize Off / 854x480, Text Resize On

FFsplit 854x480 is the winner here because of its superior resolution to the direct 2.0 downscale on OBS, but the OBS downscale and the FFsplit 800x450 images are VERY close, I want to say the text looks better on OBS, but the icon looks better on FFsplit. Ether way, both of them are far superior to every other image and I'm probably being nitpicky.

I don't know if I'm helping, but I figured I'd post results of the change, and obviously, it helped a lot. So thanks again!

EDIT: I didn't see the 0.401a update until just now, that might clean up the icons, I'll go test it and edit this post again with a new image of it.

EDIT2: here it is using the direct 2.0 downscale so it's 800x450. I changed my backround, so never mind that it's slightly brighter, but the icons do look MUCH better now, I'd say it's equal or even better than FFsplit now as the text I still think is slightly easier to read, so props to you guys again!

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
yea, there was a tiny bug with my code that caused chroma sub-sampling to come out incorrect, which in turn screwed up the output image, especially edges. downscaling made it even worse, but now in 0.401 the problem is fixed and colors and the image should be accurate.