Question / Help Question about downscaling

mrgusse

I've noticed that you can set downscaling in two different places. Under video settings and under output.
Does it matter performance-wise which one you use? Or could you set it in output (stream) to downscale the stream but keep base resolution on recording?

I guess if you set it in video settings it will downscale both, right?

Dilaz

Always use the one in video settings if you are not streaming and recording at different resolutions. If you downscale from output settings, the downscaling is done with CPU instead of GPU.

Downscaling is only done once if you have the same resolution in video output and output settings

mrgusse

Always use the one in video settings if you are not streaming and recording at different resolutions. If you downscale from output settings, the downscaling is done with CPU instead of GPU.

Downscaling is only done once if you have the same resolution in video output and output settings

So basically, if i do want to record at 1080p but stream 720p I have to use the one in output, otherwise I should use the one under Video setttings, correct?

Banyarola

Hey Sus, I don't know why they never post these links in a forum post on a regular basis so users are notified there is a new or updated manual available.

The support forums are great but the online help seems to be all over the map and trying to find the latest is hit and miss at best.
Maybe it's just me but it really confusing to find current help files.

I'm still using the help guide PDF from Feb. 2017, and I found that one by accident.

When a new one comes out delete the old one...Notify users....Seems simple to me..

Suslik V

Official help is there: https://obsproject.com/wiki/

@Banyarola Hmm... I didn't want to bump the guide's thread, because the guide itself is aimed at newcomers of OBS Studio and I don't think that you can find something new for yourself if you already used the application for sometime. Any new user, when it finds the guide, can read the latest version by default. The basis of the guide is controversial and grammar is poor. So, the guide is not marked as it has an updates because of me, and only myself takes responsibility for this. Thus no notify for you. Sorry for this.
Actually, the only reason why it was written - I have had almost the same question as the topic starter: why I can scale twice and what the difference between scale and rescale? The first guides still has wrong pictures for the explanation of the rescale option. It was oversight from my end.

Banyarola

Well Suslik, I like to use it as a reference and sometimes it helps faster then waiting for a forum post reply...
Anyway, just my opinion...
You're always helpful when asked..