PSA for Windows 10 Anniversary Update users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryonic

The log you posted indicates that you still had recent Windows Updates and the Anniversary Update installed.

Rolling back is not safe (could break windows or some functions) and we want to use the update anyway. Remeber, Win10 forces you to update sooner or later, you cant push out updates for a long time. And as the time moves on, more and more people will grab the Anniversary Update and install it. We need a solution for it. I dont think that Microsoft will fix it in a short time.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Rolling back is not safe (could break windows or some functions) and we want to use the update anyway. Remeber, Win10 forces you to update sooner or later, you cant push out updates for a long time. And as the time moves on, more and more people will grab the Anniversary Update and install it. We need a solution for it. I dont think that Microsoft will fix it in a short time.
I am well aware of all of that. I wrote the PSA, and I've warned of the dangers of rolling back updates in it and in other threads. However, rolling back updates is listed as a possible workaround (not just by me, but by some very large companies) and the user stated that they had tried all workarounds. The log file clearly shows that they were still on the latest version of Windows, which was my point.

I am also well aware that a real permanent solution would be nice. The OBS Studio developer and community are actively investigating the issue, but nothing has yet come from that research that would immediately solve this problem.

The Anniversary Update is currently not being rolled out as aggressively as it first was. If it can be avoided, Version 1511 (last year's major update) is still receiving cumulative patches.

Cryonic

No progress on the investigation?
I'm not that deep into software development and coding, but i understand how crazy that new OS is and every small change can break multiple related things completly.

And no, the update is still out there and suggested for anyone who is not up to date. Just reinstalled my Win10 on PC couple of days ago - and got the AU with the install media *facepalm*
At the same time my laptop got it rolling in, the latest update.

Blocking updates in Win10 is not easy, there are some strange tools and there are some registry hacks - normal people usually dont do that unless there is no way around.
Could we at least see a warning on the main page etc.? Like "dont install updates blahblah, they might cause some issues"?
My audio&DJ software sometimes has similar problems (related to updates) and i get an e-mail withhin a short time from the developer, explaining that update XYZ is not safe, please avoid it or make a backup before installing it.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Minimal progress on the investigation. It definitely seems VRAM related (as has been pointed out by some users), but the exact cause is still unknown. Keep in mind that work on that investigation happens in parallel to working on other issues.

As for putting a warning on the main page, that's up to the actual staff and not to me.

Cryonic

Well AMD and Nvidia didnt change anything related to VRAM so far i know in the latest patches. Windows should not mess around with it. Sure there is some stuff loaded into VRAM for Windows bling bling effects, but i didnt notice anything new there either. Strange crap is going on.

Osiris

Well AMD and Nvidia didnt change anything related to VRAM so far i know in the latest patches. Windows should not mess around with it. Sure there is some stuff loaded into VRAM for Windows bling bling effects, but i didnt notice anything new there either. Strange crap is going on.

It's definitely related though, when I fire up GTAV and set it so that it uses more then my GPU's VRAM (2GB) i can capture and record it for about 10-20 seconds and then obs freezes with the familiar errors in the log.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
For anyone following this thread, I've made some updates to the initial post.

2016-10-10: Added a workaround (#3, OpenGL). Reordered workarounds. Clarified workaround options. Clarified that the developer is investigating the issue. Changed formatting.

The reason I had to reorder the workarounds is because I have tried to order them by severity or difficulty (or scariness, if you prefer). Basically, #3, #4, #5, and #6 became #4, #5, #6, and #7. The new workaround added is now #3, which is to switch the renderer in OBS Studio to OpenGL. However, it's worth keeping in mind that the OpenGL renderer does not tend to perform well on Windows (it's really meant for the Mac/Linux builds).

Cryonic

It's definitely related though, when I fire up GTAV and set it so that it uses more then my GPU's VRAM (2GB) i can capture and record it for about 10-20 seconds and then obs freezes with the familiar errors in the log.

Well it is strange since Xsplit has no similar issues (it has different issues just by design - not bad, but you have to adjust if you got used to OBS). I tested high GPU usage and high VRAM usage on my GTX 970 and didnt notice anything wrong with Xsplit, besides the preview acting weird once i slam my GPU to the wall with high settings and uncapped FPS.
I did not manage to produce a crash or a freeze similar to what OBS is doing here.

Other tools also work really stable, it is just OBS pooping all over the place. Any ideas?

Cryonic

Afaik xsplit doesn't use the gpu for compositing.

Yep i know. Thats also why Xsplit creates more CPU load with same settings.
So where is the workaround on OBS to get around that problem quicky, lets say advanced or developer mode for people who are affected and dont want to roll back?

As an owner of a powerful CPU i would trade GPU usage for CPU usage all day every day. And if that also helps with multiple issues? Hell yeah. Just give us that option please.

Cryonic

Well, rewriting OBS Classic managed to get us some huge problems with OBS Studio so far.
Many people who can work live cant accept unstable software, just like they cant accept unstable connections, power outages etc. Some of us earn our living with the software and it must be 100% stable. The price doesnt really matter at that point, service does. Everyone who used some kind of tools would agree - a good tool will make the life easy, a bad tool will make it a nightmare.

Harold

The problems with the win 10 AU happen to classic users too, and most of those so-called "huge problems" have already been fixed.

Cryonic

The problems with the win 10 AU happen to classic users too, and most of those so-called "huge problems" have already been fixed.

As someone who has used OBS for latest games with latest updates and drivers, i managed to run into most issues posted here in the last year. Yeah i know, never change a running system blah - forget it, we are "forced" to use latest drivers, Win10 forces updates on you (so it is easier to install them rightaway when they pop up) and the fix was always really late.
I just look at OBS just like i look at any other tool out there. It has to be 100% stable to be worth it for professional or semi-professional use. Thats not my music player software, if that goes bad - i just switch without losing much time, money or viewers/listeners. But as a DJs who did that for a while and expirienced software and hardware failure live - not funny, not at all. This is how you lose people, when stuff just creates problems.

I know for a streamer there is no such thing as 100% stability, there is so much that can go wrong and a backup is usually expensive as hell or not possible due to regional limitations blah. So removing 1 thing on that list "stuff that breaks!" will be so amazing...

Veetus

I do not have any of the issues mentioned by OP with freezing, instability, etc. but I have noticed now twice since upgrading to the AU that I have randomly opened OBS Studio to see my scenes get completely erased. If this only happened once I would think it was not a big deal, but has happened twice. First time it happened, I restored Windows.

I wonder if I am the only one having this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.