Question / Help [Problem solved] OBS Studio captures a small window instead of fullscreen

Suslik V

@ilovefwc isn't it obvious? You capturing OBS Studio Preview that shows how OBS Studio Preview looks like, that itself shows how OBS Studio looks like... Just minimize your OBS Studio to capture only Display screen.

Zeustastical

Hello everyone,

I'm just getting started with OBS Studio 20.1.3 and with video capturing software in general. I'd like to capture and post video game longplays on Youtube. After I had some difficulties to get OBS working on my Lenovo Laptop because of the black screen issue due do nvidia graphic settings, I solved the problem thanks to a lot of help from this forum as well as other sources on the web.

Unfortunately, even though the video capturing works right now, it doesn't really work when capturing a video game. OBS just captures a small window on the upper left side instead of a fullscreen. The window shows the full screen of the video game but it's very small and not in the center of the file. When I capture my desktop, it just works fine. I tried to upload a video here, but its size is too big to be uploaded here.

Does anyone have some tips for me how to solve this problem? It doesn't matter if its a game which runs on Dosbox, steam, or via a separate installation.

I really appreciate your help. Thanks a lot.

Problem solved! ( If you have two monitors or more it'll be a lot easier though.

1) In your display settings you'll change your display to the actual game settings for example 1024x768. You'll change your display resolution to that.

2) Add a window capture to whatever recording software you're using. (Works for OBS and StreamLabs OBS)

3) Make sure you add the right window that you changed your display on.

That should make recordings and streams look a lot nicer instead of the box-shape.

GabeCPB0

Go to settings->video, where you can set your base (canvas) resolution and output (scaled) resolution. Do these values match your game's resolution? If not, try setting the base (canvas) resolution to match your game's resolution. The output (scaled) resolution should be set to match the game's resolution too, or at least have the same aspect ratio.

If that doesn't work, there are programs like Avidemux that can crop out the black part and leave only the small window.

Thanks!