Bug Report Potential Stream Crash Fix & Webcam/USB Mic Lag/De-sync

Jumbozo

I recently had a sync issue, first my mic and camera were out of sync, after an hour or so my mic was out of sync with the game/music audio as seen on http://www.twitch.tv/jumbozo/b/350018052 skip to about 4:10 to see a good example of it. i am using version .462a because i was having disconnecting issues after 3-3:30 hours (which seems to be fixed thanks!!!).

i found this thread and saw that it was basically fixed, but am still having problems.

Thank you

RemagUK

For those who have audio before webcam sync issues, increase the stream fps to 31 in settings > video tab. This will stop it going out of sync. (It will allow the webcam to slowly catch up to real time again because it will be capturing at 1fps slower) Equally you could set your webcam FPS to 29 in OBS as well, and run the stream at 30fps, although this will cause some occasional micro stutter on the webcam. As long as the webcam is 1fps slower than the stream it will stay synced basically.

For those who have webcam before audio sync issues, try increasing the cpu priority to above normal or high on both your webcam software and also OBS.

(this may have already been mentioned but i've spent some time tinkering so figured i'd post it just incase it's not known)

Jumbozo

Thanks rem for the advice. I was running at 60fps on the game and my webcam can't get anywhere near those rates, any advice there?

I will try making my webcam a higher priority, OBS was already higher.

RemagUK

What webcam do you have? Does it encode to h.264?

If so then it might just be the webcam. But the only other thing I can think of is CPU resources. Might be worth ctrl+alt+deleting and right clicking on OBS in the processes tab, then "set priority" to real time. Also do the same with the webcam software. It might cause lag in games, but if it doesn't it would be worth trying.

Let me know if any of that works.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I'm working on fixing the rest of the sync issues that either still existed past or were brought on by 0.455-0.462.

I'm also adding a "mic time adjustment" option to allow users to adjust their mic output time by a certain amount back or forth in time just in case any mic sync weirdness persists regardless of what I do.

Snaert

Jim said:
I'm working on fixing the rest of the sync issues that either still existed past or were brought on by 0.455-0.462.

I'm also adding a "mic time adjustment" option to allow users to adjust their mic output time by a certain amount back or forth in time just in case any mic sync weirdness persists regardless of what I do.

Hey Jim, I don't wanna be a pain in the @ss but will that audio desync fix be in the next update or in the next major update?

I don't have any desync problems myself with 1080p @30fps and 128 audio bitrate. But im helping a pretty big streamer setup OBS and he is having the problem.

Thanks for making this AWESOME piece of software =)

Snaert

Okey, so we've tested it and the desync seems to be gone. but there's another problem, don't know if it's a OBS problem or a Twitch problem (yes twitch is the site we're streaming to). When we're streaming in 1080p there is no problems what so ever, but if people try 720p or lower they get either no sound or only sound in the right speaker/earphone/earplugg. Just wanted to give you an update on our situation.

Edit: There seems to be a desync if you've been streaming for a while, right now we've only got desync after an hour or more.

//Andy

Jumbozo

Yeah i get a desync after an hour or two on the webcam. The audio is fine, the webcam however lags further and further behind over time. I tried doing what RemagUK said by lowering the webcam fps to help the stream catch up (first to 59 and when that didnt work to 50 fps, still no luck).

I am using OBS version .463a test 3

Snaert

So I have some info about one of the things that give me audiodesync, I always stream at 1080p@30fps Quality 10 and a veryfast cpu preset. In my case it's when I use my webcam (not for audio, the Logitech c920). When the webcam is recording/streaming at 1080p@30fps I get desync, but if I go in to the settings of the cam (the OBS settings in the "Sources" part of OBS) and lower the quality (of the webcam only) to 720p@30fps the desync goes away. I know that this is a popular webcam from Logitech (I've seen this problem with two diff persons and two diff computers where the only thing that is the same is OBS, the Logitech c920 webcam and the Logitech G35 headset). I don't know if this might be a driver issiue or something like that or if it's OBS that can't stream a screen AND a webcam at 1080p at the same time (even tho the webcam might not be fullscreen). I hope this helps somehow :)

Ohh and by the way i've tested every .463a versions of OBS test v1-5

and once again I have to say thanks to Jim for making this fantastic piece of software/freeware! and im telling all the ppl I know to switch from xSplit to this (even tho it's in alpha) cause it is so much better if you ignore the small little buggs here and there =)

//Andy

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
There was a bug in recent test versions where mic could go out of sync as well which I fixed in test 6. I still need to add in an option to adjust mic time offset and such as well

Snaert

Jim said:
There was a bug in recent test versions where mic could go out of sync as well which I fixed in test 6. I still need to add in an option to adjust mic time offset and such as well

Sounds awesome! I can't wait for the real release of this master piece will be like. By the way Jim do you know when you're planning on releasing the major update we've been hearing about?

//Andy

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
The test builds that you see are just my progress working towards it. The holidays were really slow for me so I didn't get much work done recently, just what's been going on in the test builds