Periodic Frame Drop

Diddle

Hello.

For some time now I have had some trouble using OBS with my capture card, an Elgato HD60 S+. The summary of it is that no matter what my recording settings were, I could not record a steady 60FPS video with my capture card – even when the resolution was at 480p60fps, and CPU usage at ultrafast. There was always a periodic drop in frame rate. Even if I set the frame rate to 30FPS, there is still a periodic drop.

Here are my computer's specifications:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports)
Processor 2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
Memory 16 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4X
Graphics Intel Iris Graphics 1536 MB

What's strange about this frame rate loss is that my computer can indeed record 1080p60FPS video, using Elgato's "Game Capture HD" software. But using OBS, I can't record 60FPS video for anything. I've tried adjusting various settings (i.e. resolution, bitrate, CPU usage, rate control) but nothing helps the issue.

I also tried using Streamlabs OBS, but it had frame rate drops far more frequent than OBS recordings.

I'm quite perplexed as to solving this problem, and any help would be appreciated.

- Diddle

(Log file link: https://obsproject.com/logs/porRW7rV07CeX9UQ. During the session that the log file describes, the frame rate drop was subtle, but present nonetheless. If there seems to be nothing wrong with the session, then please do let me know, and I'll see if I can capture a more pronounced variation of the problem. It always recurs eventually.)

Diddle

I found out why my videos were stuttering, so I don't need help anymore concerning OBS. I do, however, have one more question: how do you delete a thread in the OBS forum? I don't need this thread anymore, but can't figure out how to delete it.

Diddle

Would you mind posting your solution? I've also had this problem...
I just turned on the buffering option within the Video Capture Device's properties. The buffering option is just below the preset drop-down box. Hope this helps! (I included a screenshot to show which box to click.)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 4.16.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 4.16.07 PM.png
    298.4 KB · Views: 36
I just turned on the buffering option within the Video Capture Device's properties. The buffering option is just below the preset drop-down box. Hope this helps! (I included a screenshot to show which box to click.)

Also try using a non-HiDPI resolution on your display. This can be done using an app like SwitchResX. There is a BUG in OBS where sitting Idle, it's chewing up excessive GPU bandwidth. Considering you have integrated graphics, you don't have much bandwidth to start with in the first place.