Output to virtual webcam device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadikuizayoi

Possibility to output the video to a virtual webcam device similar to Dxtory's DirectShow output. Most likely as a streaming mode or as an output in addition to RTMP/File Output Only.

Practical implementations could be streaming to Skype or Flash applications, uploading straight to YouTube using Webcam Capture or even livestreaming on YouTube using Google+ Hangouts.

Think this could be really nice, I can't think of any other way to get OBS to a webcam device that doesn't suck.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Jim has stated that he probably won't do this, but he'd love it if someone else could take a crack at it.

dehixem

The youtube webcam capture could be real nice, I tryed it once though, and the audio/video quality was really bad :s

rbeaujard

Yes this would open the software up to many different streaming servers and software. This feature is preventing at least 4 of my colleagues from using this software as well as myself. Someone please implement this. Frankly, this seems like a no brainer for making the software virtually compatible with any existing software that can stream and any future software as most everything will support a live video source.

Nookie

It's NEEDED.

Xsplit would probably completly DIE if you do that.

I don't want to subscribe to xsplit cuz its cost too much.

OBS is lighter and broadcast fullscreen games... so if it's aslo have virtual device, it would be VERY nice.

It's NEEDED!

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I am aware and it will be implemented -- but I am juggling about 10 things at once at any given time and I have to prioritize certain things and backburner others. I can't give a definite time estimate, but the code to allow this to be implemented via a proper plugin will be in place -hopefully- within the next few months (as long as things don't blow up in my face). Refactor and general bugs are the most important priority at the moment

casufi

I think such device may be realized as separate network service that listen some ip:port to video stream and act like video capture device.

JamesBaber

"but the code to allow this to be implemented via a proper plugin will be in place -hopefully- within the next few months"
Has anything happened yet or is this idea still on the backburner?

Innomen

I just want to say that this really needs to happen as it would make a profoundly powerful educational tool.

Being able to show anyone with a skype account, the face of the professor they are actually dealing with (as opposed to a name and a still picture disembodied voice which does not build rapport) along with their examples while, being able to interactively field questions would be completely amazing.

It would also be great for family tech guy training sessions, when they want to learn but also just see you because family :)

Cryonic

There are way better educational tools than skype :-) But this option would be nice. I expect it later in the OBS MP, the current OBS is not developed, just bugfixing so far i know.

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
Not really sure why we have to say this over and over again: The feature might get added to OBS-MP if a developer finds time and wants to do it AFTER all the much more important features have been added to OBS-MP.
If you want the feature added right away, you are free to write it and make a pull request.

Cryonic

Not everyone is able or willing to write it.
The old OBS is not in development anymore, the new one is not ready (specially a problem because a lot of other stuff is changing, like the new windows 10), so it is even harder to work with new hardware and software.

Komak57

I've tried at least a dozen times to get a virtual webcam program running (and failed). These things are not easy. Firstly, it MUST be written (at least the core interface) in C++. There don't seem to be any ways around this. Secondly, they can be fairly resource intensive, and difficult to install/uninstall at will. Superuser/Admin permissions are required to run BATCH programs to load the virtual driver software into resources, or an installer is required, which defeats the purpose of it being a simplistic plugin. Then, to add to conflicts, the OBS plugin sdk isn't very programmer-friendly, and has stopped me from working on several plugin ideas.

That being said, I recall reading a post some time ago that the developers were working on rebuilding OBS from the ground up to better implement such a feature in a better direction. Not sure if just rumors, or truth, but it seems that's the only way we're going to see said functionality without third party resources.

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
This discussion does not seem to go anywhere...

Not everyone is able or willing to write it.
The old OBS is not in development anymore, the new one is not ready (specially a problem because a lot of other stuff is changing, like the new windows 10), so it is even harder to work with new hardware and software.
Cant follow that explanation. Windows 10 has nothing to do with it at all. And OBS-MP is ready to be used, it is just missing a few features that OBS had.

That being said, I recall reading a post some time ago that the developers were working on rebuilding OBS from the ground up to better implement such a feature in a better direction. Not sure if just rumors, or truth, but it seems that's the only way we're going to see said functionality without third party resources.
As I explained two posts above yours.... Oh and its not just being worked on, you can download it for mac, linux and windows already.

Cryonic

it took a really long time to get the OBS MP into the current state and its still missing a ton of important features.
And windows 10 has something to do with it, specially it makes it impoossible for me to use game capture with the old OBS + the encoding performance for me is lower than with 8.1 O_o Even with windows 10 using less CPU power.
Somehow i miss the time when software was developed, tested and then released, with all needed features.
But i can understand you guys, the old OBS is a mess, even people who dont understand the code can see it.
Maybe i expect a bit too much, no idea how big the team behind OBS is. But i expected OBS MP to be ready in 6 months after announcing it with all requested features and also tested with all usual popular plugins like clr browser, video source, TS plugin whatever.

I`m too stupid to code something myself, tryed it - i would rather pay someone than do it myself. I can offer testing on the newest hard&software, thats it.

Sorry guys just releasing some steam after so many fails and facepalms related to game & softwarereleases in the last couple of years, everything i seem to like is crippled or delayed or in the worst case - both...

Status
Not open for further replies.