Resource icon

Non-OBS Script Open Broadcaster Software XML & RSS Data Reader 1.5

regidark

Hi. First off thanks for your program, it seems working.
I have two questions.
How can i get rid of these stars tat the begining?
Once the rss is saved it will autoupdate the rss feed or i need to create a new file everytime i want to show new content from the feed?

Thanks in advance

Christer

Hi!
This being one of my first programs for C#, I kept it very simple.
The stars are in the actual code (hard coded) as separators for each headline. The program just fetches your RSS-feed once and saves it as a textfile, you have to repeat the process every time you want an update.

I have encountered this "problem" myself, and I will make a new version of the program where you can update the textfile, and maybe choose the separator. RSS-feeds are however kind of tricky sometimes.

Stay tuned! :)

Christer

Hello Hello, can the program read multiple RSS feeds and if so, how? Thank you

Sorry, it does not. It only takes a single rss-feed and parses it into a text file of your choosing. You can re-run the program multiple time with a macro though.

As an alternative, you can also use JavaScript and html5 to do this. Then you can parse as many rss-feeds as you please.

Robiul

Hi, does this do exactly what I want it to do?
I want news to appear across the bottom of my twitch stream (n4g.com/rss), but I don't know what to do. I'm a obs noob. The n4g.com/rss is just a web page and when I click on ALL it tries to download an UNKNOWN filetype, named as 'news'. Could you please help. If you help me I will donate £100 to OBS.

ALex2018

Hi!
The stars are in the actual code (hard coded) as separators for each headline. The program just fetches your RSS-feed once and saves it as a textfile, you have to repeat the process every time you want an update.

I have encountered this "problem" myself, and I will make a new version of the program where you can update the textfile, and maybe choose the separator. RSS-feeds are however kind of tricky sometimes.

Hey there, i like your script, it helps me alot, but how about that, two things you've mention - auto update and separator ?

QuantumDragon

The script keeps crashing for me, when trying to access the RSS feed of the news site I stream for. Any idea what might cause that to happen?

RGVJ

Hi Christer

Thank you for this!! Just a quick question, I have scheduled a Windows 10 task to run this program automatically though I have no idea how to pass the input to the application automatically. I imagine I use a batch file though I am really struggling to find any answers online on the script to use for the batch file. Do you have any advice on how to resolve this?

Thanks for your time and help!!

Christer

Hi Christer

Thank you for this!! Just a quick question, I have scheduled a Windows 10 task to run this program automatically though I have no idea how to pass the input to the application automatically. I imagine I use a batch file though I am really struggling to find any answers online on the script to use for the batch file. Do you have any advice on how to resolve this?

Thanks for your time and help!!

Sorry for late reply.
The application reads RSS-url straight from memory, ie you have to manually find an url to use (for example http://rss.cnn.com/rss/edition.rss). You then tell it what you what to name the text file. It then saves a text file that you pick up in OBS to display and animate as you please. Updating is simply done by selecting Yes on the question to update.

It is based on a C# library for parsing RSS-feeds, but it is not perfect so don't expect every RSS-feed to work. Trial and error ;)

Zbatt21

Out of curiosity is there an issue with this using https links? Specifically the link I'm going for is https://alerts.weather.gov/cap/oh.php?x=0 . As a weather nerd I'd love to have this as a feed when severe storms arrive this Spring. However with that link I get a Forbidden error which is weird because this requires no creds to access. Not sure if it's specific to the way they do things or what. For the record no RSS feeds from the National Weather Service or Storm Prediction Center seem to work.

peace.maker.00

Sorry for late reply.
The application reads RSS-url straight from memory, ie you have to manually find an url to use (for example http://rss.cnn.com/rss/edition.rss). You then tell it what you what to name the text file. It then saves a text file that you pick up in OBS to display and animate as you please. Updating is simply done by selecting Yes on the question to update.

It is based on a C# library for parsing RSS-feeds, but it is not perfect so don't expect every RSS-feed to work. Trial and error ;)

SO is there a possibility to get the github for this? I can't seem to make it work with the batch to auto update

Christer

I haven't got a Github repo for this yet. I can certainly set one up. I'll get back when it is set up.

Christer

Out of curiosity is there an issue with this using https links? Specifically the link I'm going for is https://alerts.weather.gov/cap/oh.php?x=0 . As a weather nerd I'd love to have this as a feed when severe storms arrive this Spring. However with that link I get a Forbidden error which is weird because this requires no creds to access. Not sure if it's specific to the way they do things or what. For the record no RSS feeds from the National Weather Service or Storm Prediction Center seem to work.

The problem is how they designed the feed. All RSS-feeds are unique and designed individually. As a developer I can never design a parser that works for every RSS-feed. Feel free to look into how to parse a RSS-feed (XML) with JavaScript instead, much more customizable and easier to use for streaming purposes.

WesthillChurch

Hi. I'm very new to OBS so please excuse my lack of knowledge. I have installed the dll and the folder into my plugins directory for obs, however, I was expecting the RSS Feed to be a new source in OBS. I'm sure I am missing something very obvious.

TIA

Last edited:

WesthillChurch

Hi. I'm very new to OBS so please excuse my lack of knowledge. I have installed the dll and the folder into my plugins directory for obs, however, I was expecting the RSS Feed to be a new source in OBS. I'm sure I am missing something very obvious.

TIA
I told you I was new. I answered my own question!

The_Simz

Hi everyone, I am Simon.
This is my first time using OBS too. I wanted to install this Non-OBS script plugin. I did watch a couple of tutorials for installing the script and the . dll, but I'm unable to see the option to input any RSS feeds into the source.
But since OBS is on 25.0.4 version, does it means that it doesn't work anymore? All the tutorials seems to be out of date.
Should I import the script to :
C:\Program Files\obs-studio\data\obs-plugins
or
C:\Program Files\obs-studio\obs-plugins\64bit
I am bit lost in there.

Thank you for your time!

The_Simz

Hi everyone, I am Simon.
This is my first time using OBS too. I wanted to install this Non-OBS script plugin. I did watch a couple of tutorials for installing the script and the . dll, but I'm unable to see the option to input any RSS feeds into the source.
But since OBS is on 25.0.4 version, does it means that it doesn't work anymore? All the tutorials seems to be out of date.
Should I import the script to :
C:\Program Files\obs-studio\data\obs-plugins
or
C:\Program Files\obs-studio\obs-plugins\64bit
I am bit lost in there.

Thank you for your time!
Hi everyone,
I was able to make it work. Thank you.

On the other hand :
Hi!

I am looking forward to this!

Cheers man!