OBSosc App [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdK

HI jshea2,
I think I figured out how to download it. I just grabbed the Windows zip entry and also installed the websocket for OBS.
I started OBSOSC and received the same window as the example you provided, entered the ip address, etc
In my App, I sent an OSC command to OBS but got the attached Java error.
I'm sure I'm doing something wrong....but perhaps not.
The OSC message I'm trying to send is: /scene/Scene_2

BTW- I'm sending the command from a program called MultiPlay. It's very similar to QLAB but for Windows.

Thanks...Ed
OBSOSC error.jpg

jshea2

Hmm, it looks like it doesn’t like the syntax how MultiPlay is sending it. Can you share a screenshot of how you input the OSC message/string and values/arguments? Sorry for the delay. I’m a lot more active on my discord server if you want to join the channel: https://discord.gg/FJ79AKPgSk

jshea2

I downloaded MultiPlay but could find how to send OSC. I did get it to work on Open Sound Control. If MultiPlay makes you send a value or argument try this:

address/string:
/scene

value/argument:
Scene 2

if it makes you do it all in one line try:

/scene, Scene 2

EdK

I checked with Multiplay developer before I posted here. He is sending the OSC command out propertly. If you join the Multiplay forum https://da-share.com/forum/index.php you'll be able to download version 3 of Multiplay. It's in the Beta Testers sub-forum. It's still in beta but available to use. Specifically this sub-forum entry
https://da-share.com/forum/index.php?topic=74.msg1789#msg1789

I think the default Multiplay that you looked at was version 2.5.5.0 which doesn't not have OSC support.
Version 3 is still under development and he hasn't updated all the documentation yet but there is lots of information in other sub-forums.

I will try the format you provided and also setup an account in Discord.

Is there any other software I need on my end? I just got a new computer about a month ago and I'm still in the process of installing software I used on my old computer. I thought I covered everything I need so far but perhaps not.

When I read the error message it referred to Java. The first time I tried it, I didn't have Java installed. But I downloaded Java runtime and tried again but the same error took palce.

Thanks for replying!

EdK

HI jshea2,

Your suggestions didn't work. Same error. I checked with the developer of Multiplay and he check the output with Protokol.
Here is what Protokol sees: (I tried different formats).

CONNECT | ENDPOINT([::]:3333)
RECEIVE | ENDPOINT([::ffff:192.168.1.194]:50761) ADDRESS(/scene/,Scene_2)
RECEIVE | ENDPOINT([::ffff:192.168.1.194]:50761) ADDRESS(/scene/) STRING(Scene_2)
RECEIVE | ENDPOINT([::ffff:192.168.1.194]:50761) ADDRESS(/scene/Scene_2)

Since trying the above, I rebooted my computer and now when I try it, nothing happens at all. i.e. I get no error message.
I tried the above OCS commands again.

Multiplay is sending to 192.168.1.194 and using port 3333
Websockets in OBS is using server port 4444

jshea2

Hmm I’m heading to a place now that has a PC. I’ll download it and see what’s going on there.

jshea2

HI jshea2,

Your suggestions didn't work. Same error. I checked with the developer of Multiplay and he check the output with Protokol.
Here is what Protokol sees: (I tried different formats).

CONNECT | ENDPOINT([::]:3333)
RECEIVE | ENDPOINT([::ffff:192.168.1.194]:50761) ADDRESS(/scene/,Scene_2)
RECEIVE | ENDPOINT([::ffff:192.168.1.194]:50761) ADDRESS(/scene/) STRING(Scene_2)
RECEIVE | ENDPOINT([::ffff:192.168.1.194]:50761) ADDRESS(/scene/Scene_2)

Since trying the above, I rebooted my computer and now when I try it, nothing happens at all. i.e. I get no error message.
I tried the above OCS commands again.

Multiplay is sending to 192.168.1.194 and using port 3333
Websockets in OBS is using server port 4444
Make sure 192.168.1.194 is your up address. Make it 127.0.0.1 if you can

EdK

Hi jshea2,

Thanks so much for helping me.

Windows tells me my IP address is 192.168.1.194 (IPv4 address). Both Multiplay and OBS running my computer.
I don't know how to change the IP address....sorry.

In Multiplay go to: File>Production Properties>Network to define the IP address.
Then, "Insert Network Cue" into the cue list. Double click the cue and and select the Messages tab to enter the OSC command followed by GO to send the command.

I'll get on Discord later today. If you don't mind, please keep this conversation here. For anything else in the future, I'll post in Discord.

Again, thanks for the help.
Ed

jshea2

Hey EdK, yesterday I got a chance to sit down and play with MultiPlay, also replicate the same issues you were having. I even saw that Protokol noticed the OSC, but not Node-OBSosc. For NodeOBSosc it uses the dependency "node-osc" and I traced back the error to the "docode.js" file so I see it's not liking the format of the raw OSC data, which is weird because Open Stage Control works for both Protokol and NodeOBSosc, but MultiPlay only works on Protokol.

EdK

Hi jshea2,

I sort of follow what you said. Do you think it's Multiplay or docode.js? If it's decode.js, who would be able to take a look at that? Is that part of an OBS plugin? I'd really like to have this work but I don't know where/who to turn to.

The MIDI interfaces are buggy and tend to crash OBS and one of the more promising ones have no documentation of how to set it up....at least nothing I can understand. Your OSC plugin is so much cleaner and easier to use. The MIDI interfaces are like 'middleware' where not only do I have to define the MIDI commands in Multiplay but also again in the interface. At one time I also tried using MIDIkey2key (or something like that where it translated MIDI commands into OBS hotkeys. What a confusing mess that was.

Thanks again for you help.
Ed

EdK

Hi jshea2,
I received the following info from the Multiplay developer.

MultiPlay sends OSC messages as "bundles" even though there is only one message in it. It could be that Node-OBSosc doesn't decode bundles.
Protokol and MultiPlay both accept single OSC messages or OSC bundles so there's no issue there.

Ed

EdK

HI jshea2,

Making progress. Multiplay developer said he sends OSC commands in 'bundled" format. As a test, he changed it to "unbundled" and sent it to me. This time I got an error in NodeOBSosc that said it couldn't find the scene I specified.

Turns out, the scene name I was sending was "Scene_2" because that's how I have it defined in OBS. I changed the scene name in OBS to "Scene 2" (without the underscore) but sent the message from Mutiplay as "Scene_2" since your instructions specify that if the scene name contains a space, that is must be sent as "Scene_2" and that worked.

So...discovered a couple things- 1) NodeOBSosc doesn't accept "bundled" OSC messages and 2) Scene names in OBS should not contain an underscore.

I'm waiting for a reply from the Multiplay developer to see if he'll change Multiplay to send "unbundled" OSC messages.

I wonder if any other Apps send 'bundled" messages. Might be a good idea to have it accept either one (if possible)...or...at least document the fact that NodeOBSosc requires "unbundled" messages. Also, might want to make a note that scene names in OBS should not contain an underscore unless there's a way for you to get around that. I'm pretty sure users may eventually run into these peculiarities.

At the moment I'm happy to see it work.

Ed

jshea2

That’s great to hear you got it working! Yes I’ll look more into the bundled situation. And I will also update the document about no underscore in an OBS scene. The underscore converts it into a space, that way it allows you to specify it in just the first string. This is mainly for apps like TouchOSC that doesn’t give you multiple arguments to input. I’m going to rethink if there’s a better syntax to send a scene trigger.

EdK

Ya....me too! Much cleaner and easier than dealing with the MIDI plugins. Thanks!

By the way....maybe you saw another post in the Windows Support group.
Is there a way to start NodeOBSosc automatically when OBS starts? Reason I ask, the MIDI interfaces I tried are plugins
for OBS. I know Websockets is a plugin. Was wondering if NodeOBSosc could do that also.

JasonZeh

This is so wonderful! thank you. I am currently working on making some control interfaces in Max to use the Korg NanoKontrol as a control surface with the goal of eventually integrating this into an M4L device.

I have one question. If I am not mistaken, it seems like opacity is the only parameter that you can currently control via OSC in the color filter. Is this correct?

EdK

Ya....me too! Much cleaner and easier than dealing with the MIDI plugins. Thanks!

By the way....maybe you saw another post in the Windows Support group.
Is there a way to start NodeOBSosc automatically when OBS starts? Reason I ask, the MIDI interfaces I tried are plugins
for OBS. I know Websockets is a plugin. Was wondering if NodeOBSosc could do that also.
HI jshea2,
Actually have a followup question. Is there a way to save the all the parameters (IP addresses, ports, etc) into a configuration file....so the next time I start NodeOBSosc, I can choose a specific configuration? And to go along with that, if invoking NodeOBSosc.exe from a command line....being able to choose a specific configuration as a parameter including performing the "Connect" action?

Thanks! Ed

jshea2

This is so wonderful! thank you. I am currently working on making some control interfaces in Max to use the Korg NanoKontrol as a control surface with the goal of eventually integrating this into an M4L device.

I have one question. If I am not mistaken, it seems like opacity is the only parameter that you can currently control via OSC in the color filter. Is this correct?
That's awesome! Currently, that is correct. I'm working on adding more commands. Do you have any feature requests? Any specific parameters or all of them in the Color Correction?

Status
Not open for further replies.