OBSosc App [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristianS

Sounds nice... but could you explain a little bit what is the purpose ?
(I am an OBS beginner) I know what OSC is, but I cannot figure out a real-life application.

jshea2

Sounds nice... but could you explain a little bit what is the purpose ?
(I am an OBS beginner) I know what OSC is, but I cannot figure out a real-life application.
Hey, sorry for the late reply. This is mainly so you wouldn't have to manually change things in OBS, you could automate everything instead. OSC is used a lot in automating or triggering cues for live events. For example, if you were streaming a show on OBS and you wanted to trigger a Scene from an outside application this allows you to send custom commands for show control. QLab has a GO button, so you would set up what each OSC cue would do, then just hit GO. This is originally made for technical theatre people trying to do virtual productions right now. Also, you could use this with TouchOSC to control scenes from your phone or iPad.

jshea2

Hey everyone, I made an update to the node.js project that controls and listens to OBS via OSC (Node OBSosc).
v1.1.0 new features include:
  • Scene Triggering by Name
  • Toggle Source's Visibility
  • Change and Automate Opacity, Position, and Scale
  • Change Transition Type and Duration
QLab 4 and OBS demo example files included with the Node file on Github.

ChristianS

Hey, sorry for the late reply. This is mainly so you wouldn't have to manually change things in OBS, you could automate everything instead. OSC is used a lot in automating or triggering cues for live events. For example, if you were streaming a show on OBS and you wanted to trigger a Scene from an outside application this allows you to send custom commands for show control. QLab has a GO button, so you would set up what each OSC cue would do, then just hit GO. This is originally made for technical theatre people trying to do virtual productions right now. Also, you could use this with TouchOSC to control scenes from your phone or iPad.
For example, would this work to switch between two scenes, which sources would be two different cameras, depending on the position of an actor on the stage measured by a sensor ?

jshea2

For example, would this work to switch between two scenes, which sources would be two different cameras, depending on the position of an actor on the stage measured by a sensor ?
Yeah, that should work. To do this I'd assume you would use an Arduino for the sensor, then take the data and send out an OSC command.
Another version of that would be having actors with microphones and different camera positions/scenes for a live show and they can trigger scenes when their audio goes past a threshold (kinda like how it switches on Zoom.)
I actually use this for my live show/podcast: https://youtu.be/R0wRct6REew?t=667

jshea2

jshea2 updated Control OBS via OSC with Node.js with a new update entry:

Control OBS via OSC with Node.js (New Features)

Node OBSosc
Node.js project that controls and listens to OBS via OSC. Made for live events for triggering and automating cues from an outside application (like QLab)

OSC Commands:
v1.0.0 features include:
  • Trigger Scene by Index
  • Trigger Next Scene
  • Trigger Previous Scene
  • Trigger Start/Stop Recording
  • Trigger Start/Stop Streaming
  • Trigger Studio Mode On/Off
  • Send OSC from OBS when New Scene is Activated
- New Update (10-10-20)...

Read the rest of this update entry...

jshea2

Control OBS via OSC with Node.js

Node OBSosc
Node.js project that controls and listens to OBS via OSC. Made for live events for triggering and automating cues from an outside application (like QLab)

OSC Commands:
v1.0.0 features include:
  • Trigger Scene by Index
  • Trigger Next Scene
  • Trigger Previous Scene

ChristianS

Yeah, that should work. To do this I'd assume you would use an Arduino for the sensor, then take the data and send out an OSC command.
Another version of that would be having actors with microphones and different camera positions/scenes for a live show and they can trigger scenes when their audio goes past a threshold (kinda like how it switches on Zoom.)
I actually use this for my live show/podcast: https://youtu.be/R0wRct6REew?t=667
This is remarkably smooth and efficient ! Excellent idea !

Damn, I have too many things to try !

jshea2

Looks like you can do virtual pan plugin with that by simple controlling layer position on scene? Doable?
Yeah! if you're talking about panning a source left and right on it's 'X' axis via OSC, that is definitely possible. Just use the syntax:
/[scene_name]/[source_name]/position [x] [y]

There's an example of translating/animating position in the video and more of an explanation on Github. Hope this helps!

spiderjjr45

Just fixed a bug with your Visibility. Changed "msg[0]" to "msgArray[2][msgArray[2].length-1] " and changed the === so it compares value and not type (since "1" isn't 1)

(the last osc field "visible 1" doesn't get split off, so you have to grab the last character)

I also had to add bundled command compatability to the osc-js server library. I can send you my files if you want.

1606858686770.png

Meierhans

/[scene_name]/[source_name]/position [x] [y]
So this is not just bool-triggers ramping parameters up and down, but it exposes all the OBS internal parameters realtime directly to OSC?? So I could just send the matching OSC messages from the program of my liking, or twiddle a fader in TouchOSC ???

jshea2

Control OBS via OSC with Node.js Add bookmark

Node OBSosc

OSC Commands:
v1.0.0 features include:
  • Trigger Scene by Index
  • Trigger Next Scene
  • Trigger Previous Scene

William Huston

OMG! This is so fabulous! Thank you @jshea2!
This is a dream I've been having! I am a PD (Pure Data) hacker, which is similar to Max/MSP, only free.

I really want to control the StreamFX 3D-transform effect (and perhaps other parameters of effects).
This was just playing around... DEMO Video

Unfortunately, even with a MIDI controller, doing some of these moves by hand is difficult, because multiple parameters must be changed simultaneously. Also, controlling by hand produces some choppy moves.

However it is trivial for something like PD or Max to control multiple parameters simultaneous, at different rates, whatever.

I'm guessing that this is not possible yet, and may require plugins to be OSC controllable, but this looks like a great start.
THANK YOU FOR OSC SUPPORT!!

BH

EdK

Hello jshea2,

I'd love to give this a try. Not happy with other solutions available like Midikey2key, OBS-Midi plugin, MidiControl.
I'm not comfortable with github nor modifying code as you described.
Could you make installing it easier? Like creating a install program?

Thanks! Ed

jshea2

Hello jshea2,

I'd love to give this a try. Not happy with other solutions available like Midikey2key, OBS-Midi plugin, MidiControl.
I'm not comfortable with github nor modifying code as you described.
Could you make installing it easier? Like creating a install program?

Thanks! Ed
Lol I think the day you posted this is the same day I released exactly what you are describing:
Node-OBSosc Standalone App
Available on Windows & Mac
(Still waiting on OBSForum approval for the official post)

EdK

HI jshea2,
I'm sorry to bother you but I'm a bit confused. Not quite sure what to download and from where.
I clicked on the link- Node-OBSosc Standalone App Now Available and it took me to another page-

Node OBSosc
Download

An Electron application that controls and listens to OBS via OSC.
Made for live events for triggering and automating cues from an external application (like QLab)

I selected Download and it took me to a github page. I'm not quite sure what to do on that page.
At the bottom of that page under "Assets", there are a couple zip entries. One for Mac the other for Windows.
I'm on Windows. Is that the one I need? If so, it shows v1.0.0 but from reading entries in this thread, you're currently on version 1.1.0?

I'm not a programmer/developer.....just an end-user so much of this is quite foreign to me.

Thanks! Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.