Question / Help OBS Won't Capture Specific Game

Yeah I found capture conflicts can be really inconsistent! I had MSI Afterburner + Rivatuner installed for months without realizing it was conflicting, and it all worked fine for the most part. Just sometimes I had to try several times to get OBS to hook properly into some games, especially indie stuff. Then the problem suddenly got much worse and turning off Rivatuner's OSD didn't seem to help, so I uninstalled it and it solved the issue.

SpectreKid

Yeah I found capture conflicts can be really inconsistent! I had MSI Afterburner + Rivatuner installed for months without realizing it was conflicting, and it all worked fine for the most part. Just sometimes I had to try several times to get OBS to hook properly into some games, especially indie stuff. Then the problem suddenly got much worse and turning off Rivatuner's OSD didn't seem to help, so I uninstalled it and it solved the issue.
Hmm. Apparently I am also using Rivatuner's OSD. Would it work fine if I just turn off the OSD?

SpectreKid

Are you saying you've not tested with any other configuration of game capture? Because I never use hotkey method, I always configure game capture for either a specific application or window, or any fullscreen application.
DX9 capture wasn't really a problem, DX8.1 was at one point, but has since been fixed (IIRC around the time of the changeover from OBS Classic to Studio, though Classic had some prototype fixes put out). At the moment the only issue I can think of is Vulkan, but Terraria is apparently on DX9.0c so it's not that.

I see you're using 25 RC1; does the capture problem still occur on 24.0.3 stable? Your first log does show successful game capture hooking on 25 RC1, but it's generally best to fix problems on stable branches. RCs are expected to express... foibles, after all.

Also, I see you're running OBS as Admin; are you running Terraria as Admin, too? Silly question maybe, but I vaguely remember doing that fixing up some weird/problematic capture issues in the past.
Do you have any programs that might be conflicting with OBS?

I'm not familiar with Terraria, so are you using any mods for it that might be acting as an overlay and causing a similar kind of conflict?
No luck so far. Tried disabling OSD, no luck. Terraria borderless? No luck. 24.0.3? No luck. It says in the log that it is attempting to hook the game multiple times before being interrupted by something it doesn't tell us. Any ideas?

Yeah I tried turning off Rivatuner's OSD but it didn't help - it was still interfering for some reason. I uninstalled Rivatuner and MSI Afterburner completely and then rebooted my PC and all was well after that! Have you tried that yet?

SpectreKid

Yeah I tried turning off Rivatuner's OSD but it didn't help - it was still interfering for some reason. I uninstalled Rivatuner and MSI Afterburner completely and then rebooted my PC and all was well after that! Have you tried that yet?
I will. Do I have to uninstall MSI Afterburner? Because I have an overclock and an undervolt applied to make sure that my RX 560 doesn't cook my eggs.

You could try just uninstalling Rivatuner first and seeing if that helps. Otherwise you might be able to find a way to turn the OSD off properly without uninstalling MSI Afterburner (I'm not very familiar with the program honestly).

SpectreKid

@AccountingNightmare @Narcogen @FerretBomb , so I have gotten it working a few times consecutively. However, whenever I switched to Enter the Gungeon, Quake Champions, and then back to Terraria, both EtG and Terraria stopped working. It was varying very inconsistently, from working with fullscreen to not working even with borderless. I watched a person on the internet opening the game first, and then opening OBS as admin, but I've at that work only the first few times, when it was working consecutively. Any ideas?

And oh yeah, my logs are inconsistent. In the failed attempts, my logs would say Attempt stopped a few milliseconds after trying to hook the game, and other times it would successfully be hooked, even with hotkey and specific window. I beginning to suspect it could be driver issues, but I've reinstalled drivers and the problem persists.

RTSS does not seem to be the issue.

Any ideas?

SpectreKid

Rivatuner and MSI Afterburner are both well-known to cause hooking conflicts. Yes, uninstalling them would be advised, at least to test.
Uninstalling had no effect. Neither did Borderless. It is very inconsistent, and would work one time and then not work for 52 hours.

SpectreKid

Rivatuner and MSI Afterburner are both well-known to cause hooking conflicts. Yes, uninstalling them would be advised, at least to test.
No luck still. Extremely inconsistent. Could you give it a try on your end? Could be a bug for all I know.

EDIT: Need some help debunking some rumors floating around on YouTube that could be fixes to this problem:

1. Compatibility mode for Windows 7?

2. Opening game first before opening OBS?

3. Process priority lower than game? (I already know that performance will suffer on the OBS side for this one XD)

Debunk? @Narcogen and @FerretBomb

Last edited:

SpectreKid

Bump. Nothing so far. It was working fine, and then it broke again, even in 25.0.1, with the game capture fixes.