Question / Help OBS Won't Capture Specific Game

SpectreKid

Hello OBS Forum,

I use OBS Studio for game capture and display capture, but Terraria won't be detected by Game Capture. I have opened OBS Studio in Administrator, and I have tried multiple different methods of detecting the game, including using the "specify window" method and the "hotkey" method, which I use. Both doesn't seem to work, and neither does the default.

I have tried with other games, and they work, just not Terraria. It's not detecting Terraria for some reason.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Regards,
Spectr3x

SpectreKid

Waiting for the log.
Sorry for it taking so long. It says that it is trying to hook, and then the capture stopped. Don't know why. I'm running it as administrator with AMD VCE because x264 is way too taxing on my computer. If you have any other suggestions I would really appreciate them too!

EDIT: I have a garbage internet, so I am uploading my videos at 10mbps. I've found recording at VCE at a higher bitrate and then lowering bitrate in Handbrake makes the quality better than 10mbps at VCE, but is that good or should I just use x264 VeryFast?

Attachments

• 2020-03-03 16-08-50.txt
    16.8 KB · Views: 96

Narcogen

Veryfast is the default and should be fine for most users. If you find the visual improvement from using high bitrate VCE is worth the extra time of re-encoding, then do that.

Is Terraria running on the AMD GPU? OBS is, and to capture Terraria, it also needs to be running there. I can see multiple attempts to capture Terraria, and no successes, but no obvious reason for the failure. Anti-cheat compatibility mode also not working? Does display capture work?

SpectreKid

Veryfast is the default and should be fine for most users. If you find the visual improvement from using high bitrate VCE is worth the extra time of re-encoding, then do that.

Is Terraria running on the AMD GPU? OBS is, and to capture Terraria, it also needs to be running there. I can see multiple attempts to capture Terraria, and no successes, but no obvious reason for the failure. Anti-cheat compatibility mode also not working? Does display capture work?
Terraria is running on the GPU, and the anti-cheat compatibility hook is not working. The only fix that worked temporarily is to uninstall, reinstall an older version, and then update to the newer version. It works sometimes, not every time, but most of the time it outright doesn't work.

Narcogen

Not necessarily sure upgrading to a test build is a good way to troubleshoot. There is usually advice to update to the latest in case new versions have resolved problems, but that usually applies after an official release, not a candidate.

If you're doing game capture, the game absolutely needs to be running on the same GPU as OBS; I'm just not sure why it wouldn't be anyway.

SpectreKid

Not necessarily sure upgrading to a test build is a good way to troubleshoot. There is usually advice to update to the latest in case new versions have resolved problems, but that usually applies after an official release, not a candidate.

If you're doing game capture, the game absolutely needs to be running on the same GPU as OBS; I'm just not sure why it wouldn't be anyway.
I'm using the hotkey method. I've tried other methods, but I have no luck. I was just testing with the candidate to see if it has been resolved, and if not, I will revert back to the older version. So far, no luck yet. Is the hotkey method the best method, or should I specify which game to record? The hotkey method and game capture works with every single other game, I'm not sure why Terraria doesn't work.

Narcogen

Are you saying you've not tested with any other configuration of game capture? Because I never use hotkey method, I always configure game capture for either a specific application or window, or any fullscreen application.

SpectreKid

Are you saying you've not tested with any other configuration of game capture? Because I never use hotkey method, I always configure game capture for either a specific application or window, or any fullscreen application.
Hey, I'm saying I have tested with all three, and have no luck with any of them, but right now in the Candidate beta, it seems to work. Now, the problem is that the not capturing is only apparent some of the time. If I get lucky, it will capture.

A couple of hours ago I got it working, so I'ma update you with the log that worked. But it might've been one time, so please help me check it. It might have been just lucky. I was using the anti-cheat compatibility before and after, and different results occured.

FerretBomb

In the past, I had to capture Terraria with a Window Capture instead of Game Capture, running the game in fullscreen windowed mode to have it be reliable.

SpectreKid

In the past, I had to capture Terraria with a Window Capture instead of Game Capture, running the game in fullscreen windowed mode to have it be reliable.
Hmm. I checked the logs, and I remember OBS has issues with DX9 (correct me if I'm wrong). Fullscreen windowed mode for me is bugged; it will not work for some reason.

FerretBomb

DX9 capture wasn't really a problem, DX8.1 was at one point, but has since been fixed (IIRC around the time of the changeover from OBS Classic to Studio, though Classic had some prototype fixes put out). At the moment the only issue I can think of is Vulkan, but Terraria is apparently on DX9.0c so it's not that.

I see you're using 25 RC1; does the capture problem still occur on 24.0.3 stable? Your first log does show successful game capture hooking on 25 RC1, but it's generally best to fix problems on stable branches. RCs are expected to express... foibles, after all.

Also, I see you're running OBS as Admin; are you running Terraria as Admin, too? Silly question maybe, but I vaguely remember doing that fixing up some weird/problematic capture issues in the past.

SpectreKid

DX9 capture wasn't really a problem, DX8.1 was at one point, but has since been fixed (IIRC around the time of the changeover from OBS Classic to Studio, though Classic had some prototype fixes put out). At the moment the only issue I can think of is Vulkan, but Terraria is apparently on DX9.0c so it's not that.

I see you're using 25 RC1; does the capture problem still occur on 24.0.3 stable? Your first log does show successful game capture hooking on 25 RC1, but it's generally best to fix problems on stable branches. RCs are expected to express... foibles, after all.

Also, I see you're running OBS as Admin; are you running Terraria as Admin, too? Silly question maybe, but I vaguely remember doing that fixing up some weird/problematic capture issues in the past.
The only stable version i got it working at was v18 (an ancient version). The problem is still in occurence in v24, as shown by my very first log. Im running Terraria from Steam, but ill try it. Ive also mess around with the anticheat hook; no luck.

Do you have any programs that might be conflicting with OBS?

I'm not familiar with Terraria, so are you using any mods for it that might be acting as an overlay and causing a similar kind of conflict?