OBS Windows 7

choppergirl

The last version of OBS Studio that runs under Windows 7 is Version 27.2.4 and you can find the download page for it here:

https://github.com/obsproject/obs-studio/releases/tag/27.2.4

Personally, I think the OBS team is shooting themselves squarely in the face by no longer supporting Windows 7 or even earlier versions of Windows (like the mega popular XP and NT - both of which are still in use widely).

I myself can not stand Windows 10 or 11 and absolutely can not use either in a production environment, Winin 5 mintues of trying to use either I'm screaming at the computer pulling out my heair just to try and do the most basic things. WIndows 7 isn't great, but at least there's not an ocean of cruft ware to drown in and chart funk and everything in the control panels is where it should be. WIndows 10 and Windows 11 are absolutely unusable for anything. The best I can do with either is to beat them into looking as much to look like Windows 7 as possible, but even still, I would not want to do anything more than Web browsing with them. Video editing game footage under Windows 10 or 11? Forget it. Absolutely forget it...

Sometimes newer version sare actually great steps backwards. ANywone remember Vista and Windows Millenium. yeah.

This note is mostly for me in the future.
I never plan to switch from Windows 7. Ever.
Twenty years from now I'll still be using Windows 7.

CHOPPERGIRL

p.s. every time you checkout something at Wlamrt through self checkout, you use Windows XP.

FrankKodis

This is also my sad reality.
I have used W10 and as initially the system was bearable, but after years it has grown in tracking mechanisms without improving performance.... At the same time MS as a hegemon by ceasing to support anything they can't control and from where they can't easily steal any data, be it about software usage or use of the internet, social media, etc., all who previously created free software that was jusy compatible with virtually everyone can now can feel justified and simply have the best excuse not to create anything with backward compatibility.

So, thanks for straight forward hint about version number.

Cheers :)
Frank (also returnee 7 user)

AaronD

If I would ever change, I will change to Linux.
I already did. I've been dual-booting since college, so it wasn't all that hard to switch my primary use back over to that side again. Don't think I'll go back this time, with the way that Micro$haft is going.
For media production, I'd recommend Ubuntu Studio:
I like to stick with the "Long-Term Support" (LTS) versions, which come in April of even years and are supported for 3 years, compared to the regular releases that come in April of odd years and October of every year and are supported for 9 months. Less upgrading that way, and potentially less breaking things that used to work, but still getting the security updates as they come.

For those that are keeping Windoze 7 and before, I believe they've been out of support for quite a long time now, which means no more security patches, and people have had a lot of time now and will continue to get more time to figure out how to break into it. For an offline system that can have its air-gapped path to the internet screened by a modern up-to-date system, go for it! But I would never trust a general-purpose system that doesn't still get updates, on the internet.
I liked XP myself, which seems to be a common sentiment...but I would never allow it on today's internet.

Single-purpose systems can be okay, precisely because they don't change anything at all ever, about how they work. If it can get any kind of update at all, then it's general-purpose whether you use it that way or not, and you need to keep its security up-to-date. If not for whatever reason, unplug it.

Sorry for my dumb question, fellows, could you send me the ZIP file version of version 27.2.4 for using on Windows 7 ? On the OBS site, I can see only the project files, but no ready zip files to run it on a portable mode. I got to find the exe version, but I need only to test it on a portale version to a later version in order to keep running some plugins. Thanks for any help.

Rebeccah

Yes. 27.2.4 works on Windows 7.
I just tested.

And yes. Windows 7 is newest working Windows.
If I would ever change, I will change to Linux.
I just tried to install it and got an error that I don't have msvcp140_1.dll on my computer. I have several copies local to different programs, and I have a copy in SysWOW64, but not in system32.

32-bit OBS Studio seems to install and start up OK.

Last edited: