Question / Help OBS Window Capture - Everything I want to record is (null)

avilsd

Hello, when I enable window capture only 5 things show up as options:
8bee864a23c4a2e0964c1d2b5e46f1ea.png

When I hit show Windows with empty names, everything I'd like to record is null. Such as google chrome, photoshop, skype, etc.

For google chrome I did the hardware acceleration tip and it didn't help. If I hit the null google chrome, obviously there's a black window.
I have Mac Catalina now and downloaded the latest version of OBS.

M1GUY12

Hello, when I enable window capture only 5 things show up as options:View attachment 51583
When I hit show Windows with empty names, everything I'd like to record is null. Such as google chrome, photoshop, skype, etc.

For google chrome I did the hardware acceleration tip and it didn't help. If I hit the null google chrome, obviously there's a black window.
I have Mac Catalina now and downloaded the latest version of OBS.

I found the solution to make this work!
First, click on Window Capture. When the properties window shows up (where it only shows you the 5 items you showed in your post, Select "Show windows with empty names". You'll then get an OSX dialogue box with Privacy settings. Select OBS.
Once selected you'll be able to view apps as you should! Attached is a screenshot I took which allows me to use ZOOM in the Window Capture! (Man, I spent hours searching videos and forum posts). I hope this helps other Mac users!

MacBook Pro running Catalina & OBS 24.0.6

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-29 at 8.37.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-29 at 8.37.08 PM.png
    948.6 KB · Views: 2,978

msoer

The issue is that the Operating Systems - Privacy and Security settings are preventing OBS from receiving any data from other apps. In Mac you can go to System Preferences and click on Security & Privacy > Screen Recording > check OBS icon

Once this is done you should see the (null) attribute disappear and change into Zoom Meeting

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 10.55.59.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 10.55.59.png
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,070

rherrema

I found the solution to make this work!
First, click on Window Capture. When the properties window shows up (where it only shows you the 5 items you showed in your post, Select "Show windows with empty names". You'll then get an OSX dialogue box with Privacy settings. Select OBS.
Once selected you'll be able to view apps as you should! Attached is a screenshot I took which allows me to use ZOOM in the Window Capture! (Man, I spent hours searching videos and forum posts). I hope this helps other Mac users!

MacBook Pro running Catalina & OBS 24.0.6
Thanks for the tip - saved me.