Bug Report OBS weird picture (xcomposite)

Mordrag

Hello i got a really weird picture with xcomposite in obs.
When i enable the Mesa fix the Pictures gets black.
Hope someone know a solution.
Greetz

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171223_153330.png
    Screenshot_20171223_153330.png
    318.8 KB · Views: 444

Gnuk

I've exactly the same on my intel card :

rXD3d9U.png

eztXfs4.png

But when I open the source using optirun, i only see one frame (i suppose the first) of the window i capture (as you can see, i scroll on the window, but nothing happens on the capture) :

VQVySnJ.png

Using primusrun, OBS crash

So I have a mix begtween this issue and the issue : https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/failed-to-capture-a-window-via-xcomposite.41825

My configuration :

* Distribution : Arch Linux
* OBS Studio : 20.1.3
* libxcomposite : libxcomposite 0.4.4

shaolin

Using Arch with same libxcomposite 0.4.4 and works perfectly.

So, to get proper support you should provide as much information as possible. Please upload a log file from you trying to add the source to obs.

For a better support you can also try going to IRC or Discord channels (Links in obsproject.com)

shaolin

Oh i see, I can't remember exactly why, but you won't be able to capture anything Chromium related. IIRC has smth to do with the GTK build they are using.

So basicaly, no steam, chromium, chrome, and others

Joefish

Since the last system update obs shows only corrupted output instead of the captured window (for any program, not just chromium).
I tried downgrading xserver to a version where I know it worked but I couldn't get my system to run stable :/
Also, here is my log after adding a window as source (nothing unusual, except maybe that it looks for an nvidia lib although I'm using intel gpu)
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/f7eb181d868eb1ac7f2557bcd750e6e8

shaolin

the nvidia search if for enabling Nvenc support.

The Xcomposite seems much more volatile to your DE/WM. I'm using latest Xserver with latest Gnome.

As you just said. Your system update might have changed something.

Since your are on mesa. The only things obs related is that on Xcomposite properties you can check the Mesa Workaround to see if it solve the issue. Other than that it isn't on obs side.

Joefish

I tried enabling it and the preview is just black now instead of artifacts and the console gets spammed with errors
> error: glCopyImageSubData failed, glGetError returned 0x502
> error: device_copy_texture (GL) failed

Also the advice from https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/solved-window-capture-black-screen.47082/ to add
> MESA_EXTENSION_OVERRIDE="-GL_ARB_copy_image"
doesn't work either (same result but now error comes even without alpha-less texture enabled)

I will try rolling back my system again..
Thanks for your help shaolin

polechemical

I had some free time on my hand to find out the source of this issue on Arch Linux.

Since it occurred in December of 2017 I figured it would be neat to bisect the issue from 1st until 24th of December. The issue occurs on upgrading packages from the 15th to packages from the 16th which saw the following packages upgraded:

Code:
> upgraded mesa (17.2.6-1 -> 17.3.0-2)
> upgraded lib32-mesa (17.2.6-1 -> 17.3.0-2)
> upgraded librsvg (2:2.40.19-1 -> 2:2.40.20-1)
> upgraded mpv (1:0.27.0-4 -> 1:0.27.0-5)
> upgraded polkit (0.113+29+g3272a98-1 -> 0.113+34+g29ba7af-1)
> upgraded vulkan-intel (17.2.6-1 -> 17.3.0-2)

It is obvious that the problematic package we're looking for is mesa (v. 17.3.0-2). I thought it wouldn't be that difficult to compare the difference using git: https://github.com/mesa3d/mesa/compare/17.3...17.2

I will see about using git bisect to find out the offending commit.

shaolin

Glad to hear you could find the root cause, Now i think the best is to let mesa developer knows what happened with OBS use case and see if they give any recommendations.

Its way beyong my reach but we can see what obs could change based on mesa feedback