Question / Help OBS vs FRAPS for local recording. Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VyrilGaming

Hey all,

Does anyone have a link or have some good pros/cons for using OBS over lets say FRAPS for local recording?

I would like to do some local recording, but not sure if I can get the quality I use to get with FRAPS. I know the file size is much larger with Fraps but wondering if it's possible to get that raw quality with OBS.

Looking to record 1080p 30/60fps.

Thanks in advance.

dping

Hey all,

Does anyone have a link or have some good pros/cons for using OBS over lets say FRAPS for local recording?

I would like to do some local recording, but not sure if I can get the quality I use to get with FRAPS. I know the file size is much larger with Fraps but wondering if it's possible to get that raw quality with OBS.

Looking to record 1080p 30/60fps.

Thanks in advance.
lossless is all about how much quality you truely need. tak, for example a bmp file compared to a jpeg. the jpeg is compressed yet can obtain the same quality with 1/10th the size. That beins said, that IS the advantage. with something like CRF=15 a video can be close to lossless but remember that sites like youtube will reencode anyway so expect to lose quality on both videos.

Also note that the main advantage is when you have a decent PC to record but do not wish to use 1-3GB a minute

Boildown

I thought FRAPS was great for World of Warcraft back in the day. But it took up a lot of hard drive space when hard drive space was a lot more expensive. There are probably a lot of games where FRAPS is still good, and to this day I still use it as a framerate monitor and screenshoting program. But for many other games, FRAPS ran really poorly for me. When I saw OBS, my first instinct was not to use it for streaming, but to use it to record to my hard drive. It has almost entirely replaced FRAPS for me in this regard.

VyrilGaming

I thought FRAPS was great for World of Warcraft back in the day. But it took up a lot of hard drive space when hard drive space was a lot more expensive. There are probably a lot of games where FRAPS is still good, and to this day I still use it as a framerate monitor and screenshoting program. But for many other games, FRAPS ran really poorly for me. When I saw OBS, my first instinct was not to use it for streaming, but to use it to record to my hard drive. It has almost entirely replaced FRAPS for me in this regard.

That's pretty much my goal, if I can get OBS to record with pretty much the same quality as Fraps for local recording I'm all in. I just wasn't sure how to configure OBS to do so, since Fraps is right out the box raw recording with no need to configure.

I'll be trying the guide linked above.

Thanks again.

dping

That's pretty much my goal, if I can get OBS to record with pretty much the same quality as Fraps for local recording I'm all in. I just wasn't sure how to configure OBS to do so, since Fraps is right out the box raw recording with no need to configure.

I'll be trying the guide linked above.

Thanks again.

With encoding though, your PC specs (especially CPU) makes a big differences. There are other alternatives to x264 software encoding like NVENC, Quicksync, VCE, etc but quality per bitrate x264 is best.

jdm12983

I myself am so glad to switch to OBS versus FRAPS. Primarily because you can set a bitrate with OBS and not FRAPS.

FRAPS records at several thousand-hundred bitrate (not sure the amount but it's extremely high. I set my OBS to record (locally only) a max bitrate of 10,000 and produces great video for me.And a way smaller file size overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.