obs-virtual output error

Kuhndawg25

Since I updated to OBS 28, myself and few other friends have gotten a popup about "obs-virtualoutput" plugin has failed to load. Has anyone else have this issue or have a fix for it yet or am I missing something?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-03 154649.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-09-03 154649.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 5,214

PaiSand

Probably you removed part of the plugin and a leftover remaind in the %appdata%/obs-studio folder. You can remove from here all the remaining files of a plugin if this plugins interact with this path.
Normally when you uninstall OBS it removes all the plugins and aren't present when reinstalling but you may still have the leftovers in the %appdata% folder. Backup your profiles and scene collection just to be safe and uninstall / reinstall OBS.

Kuhndawg25

Probably you removed part of the plugin and a leftover remaind in the %appdata%/obs-studio folder. You can remove from here all the remaining files of a plugin if this plugins interact with this path.
Normally when you uninstall OBS it removes all the plugins and aren't present when reinstalling but you may still have the leftovers in the %appdata% folder. Backup your profiles and scene collection just to be safe and uninstall / reinstall OBS.
Thank you, That helped a lot, and fixed the issue :-)

ckimm

Thank you, PaiSand!!
Finally, I followed your advice and returned to the older version. It works now. Thanks!

G0MJW

It's the virtual camera, the one with sound again. AS I said, it's going to cause issues for beginners who upgrade without thinking or even knowing what plugins they use. Test it works first..if in doubt, don't.

julesotis13

Since I updated to OBS 28, myself and few other friends have gotten a popup about "obs-virtualoutput" plugin has failed to load. Has anyone else have this issue or have a fix for it yet or am I missing something?
yes inded that si why im here i havent been able o figure out how to update it either

Senkale

i just uninstalled and reinstalled and the issue is still popping up? I'm using OBS 28.0.3 is this version not stabled? if yes how do i revert back to the older version? Also I cannot see virtual cameral from my Tools dropped down menu instead i am seeing OBS-websocket setting? pls what should i do?

Suslik V

@Senkale in OBS v28 you need to install the Virtual Camera device, then new buttons will appear in the Controls dock pane to manage this device (this is new build-in feature that can replace old plugins, like the OBS Virtuacam).

To install Virtual Camera device for the Windows PC (OBS v28):
  1. Close OBS Studio application.
  2. Navigate next batch file in the File Explorer of the OS:
    OBS_STUDIO\data\obs-plugins\win-dshow\virtualcam-install.bat
    where OBS_STUDIO is the folder where OBS Studio application is installed.
  3. Run the virtualcam-install.bat file (administrator rights required).
For more details look for help guides:

Retne

Thanks both @Suslik V for the full context and @PaiSand for the info about deleting the original files.
For what it's worth, to give some folks a bit more info still if they're struggling:

When I ran that batch file suggested just above (virtualcam-install.bat) I got a message saying virtual cam was already installed, so I personally didn't need to do that (handy to know about it though!).

I had two files left in my \Program Files\obs-studio\obs-plugins\64bit folder: obs-virtualoutput.dll and obs-virtualoutput.pdb though.

I tried just deleting or cutting them from the folder in Explorer but couldn't do so (I wanted to keep a backup, just in case, having seen @magnoliablooms message). I then tried to do the same in Terminal, but got an error message about permissions (which I was half expecting)... I ended up running Terminal as an Administrator to remove the files (I didn't, in the end, back them up).

You might also be able to run explorer as an admin.

UPDATE: And, I think, Windows managed to hide from me a "you need to provide administrator permissions", or, rather, it was just very belated in showing up, so you might well not need to do this - not quite sure what was going on here, but I'll post this regardless in case someone else has an issue deleting the files, as I did !