OBS Studio Using 60% of 4090 GPU while IDLE

VicariousNick

Alright...I've spent over 8 hours today troubleshooting this and I cannot for the life of me fix it. Any suggestions would be welcome. But I will warn you that I have tried just about EVERYTHING to lower the GPU usage with no luck. For some reason just sitting IDLE (not even running a game. No stream, no recording) in OBS Studio my GPU runs at over 60% usage. The second I boot up a game (RE 4 Remake) my entire PC lags so bad that I maybe get 20 FPS in game if I'm lucky. Yesterday I was able to record 4k footage of the same game hitting over 100FPS easily...This has NEVER happened before, and I didn't change anything in my settings before today.

I have re installed Nvidia drivers 4 times today, re installed OBS from scratch, removed almost all my scenes and sources to only have a webcam and game capture (only lowered GPU usage by 10%) and I even tried re mounting my GPU. Nothing.

I have a 7950x CPU with a Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC GPU so I don't think my hardware is the issue here....but I could be wrong I suppose.
Motherboard: msi b650-p DDR5
Cooler: Corsair H150i Elite LCD 360mm AIO
PSU: CORSAIR RM1000x 80 PLUS Gold
Case: HYTE Y60 ATX
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 64GB (2x32GB) DDR5 6000MHz C40 AMD
OS Drive: Crucial P3 1tb 3.0 NVME SSD

My OBS log: https://obsproject.com/logs/wfhXCbYYb8QkjGdI

VicariousNick

What program are you checking your GPU usage with?
Task manager but I've also just tried play a game with OBS on to see if TM was just giving false info and the game ran at 30 FPS. Same specs I had the day before and the game ran at over 100 FPS with obs

VicariousNick

I FIXED IT! It was my riser cable from my GPU to the MOBO.

Had to go into my BIOS and change the PCI express Gen from AUTO to Gen 3. Now I get 5% max with OBS running.

rockbottom

Is there a Gen 4 option on that mobo or are you being limited to Gen3 by the Riser Cable?

RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 ATX Video Card

Harold

Task manager isn't necessarily going to give accurate numbers. Normally the percentage it shows is relative to the CURRENT clockpseed of the card, not the max.