Question / Help OBS Studio Playback Audio Too Quiet

Jimmy-BS

Hi guys!
Did you find a solution? I‘m running into the same issues here using a MacBook, so I guess it’s probably not windows related. There’s no way to crank up volume without distortion. When all volume levels are set (mixer - interface - obs) the volume level on Facebook live streams is extremely low...

corneels

Just to throw my hat in the ring, I am having the same issue. Volume is all set correctly in the mixer interface (i.e. generally in the high green, yellow regions) and yet the audio on the stream is very low. On my monitor headphones set to 50%, the volume is great, but unfortunately this is not what is going out to the stream and if I apply any more gain, audio clipping and distortion occurs.

rbennett

I am having the same problem as well - New to this and I have been fighting this issue as well as time length of fb live feed only records for a couple minutes or so and my indicator shows that I am dropping frames. Your help will be greatly appreciated by all of us having this issue -

GBurke

Looks like I'm not alone with this problem. Today we had the same issue. The volume in the headphones from the sound mixer board was fine but on FB Live you could barely hear it with the volume on the PC all the way up. This didn't happen last couple of weeks that we've been broadcasting church live and we haven't changed anything setup or hardware wise.

corneels

Not sure if it will fix our issue yet, as I haven't had the chance to get to church to test – but there is a maintained fork of the project courtesy of @pkv known as OBS Studio Music Edition. It has a great deal of extra audio-focused functionality, including a "master mixer" that allows you to monitor output volumes. It appears to only be released as an .exe, in the previous release it does note "I may provide a [macOS] build later if there is any demand for it" so if you are on macOS, perhaps ping the devs (or, alternatively, you can build from source).

Be sure to donate to the devs if their fork helps resolve any of your issues.

@rbennett, dropping frames is unrelated to low audio for sure. Dropping frames is most likely due to bandwidth issues. I would suggest to get onto the discord and searching for "dropped frames". For example in about 20 seconds I found a link to this wiki article that may help you out.

edit: I've also put on my to-do list the following guide to installing CoreAudio AAC Encoder (Windows specific) which purportedly helps improve audio quality and reduce clipping.

BigY68

I have been struggling with the same issue on Mac OS. Thought I must’ve been doing something wrong. Have been wanting to do some streaming of my live music, but without any decent volume output I am stuck. There must be something we can do....? Others seem to be using it without any trouble.

Faiska

Hey guys, im new here and i think i FOUND a SOLUTION, i was having the same issue as you are, i noticed that i have some new drivers which was 7.1, i try to disable them and the issue magically disappear.

KenStream

Hey guys, im new here and i think i FOUND a SOLUTION, i was having the same issue as you are, i noticed that i have some new drivers which was 7.1, i try to disable them and the issue magically disappear.
Hi, new guy here with a two-week old installation of OBS. I read your post; which drivers did you disable to get the audio problem to disappear, please?

vadymk

Not yet checked unfortunately, but it seems there is a way to have a gain of the volume. For each source in Audio Mixer there are two ways to get a gain:
- Advanced Audio Properties - up to 26,0dB
- Filters -> add -> Gain - up to 30dB
So by selecting both on maximum you'll get 26+30=56 dB!
But never tried from the mixer yet

rio197

We are using OBS to live stream a church service and have noticed that the audio is very quiet on the youtube stream, even though we are pushing the volume into OBS as hard as we can!! and the OBS input volume is set to max and the level show it almost peaking!!

Most audio on my home TV, the sound level is good at 20, the church live feed requires 40!

Anyone got any idea why? or any fixes?

Hi! Have you turned off Window's audio ducking feature as posted by InTheSpaghetti above?

If not, try adding a Gain filter (+10) and Limiter filter (-3) in that particular order on your Audio Output Capture. The Gain will increase your levels and the Limiter will keep it from peaking.

rio197

Hi, we are a church, too, streaming to youtube instead of visited church meeting bec of Coronavirus.
Setup: a mix out from yamaha LS9 into line in or mic input at pc. When mic/line in is just about right without clipping when watching the resulting stream in youtube the volume is too low. Is there, have you found a way to increase the volume for obs out separately. I'd appreciate any help,, please
I am not sure this is allowed, so apologise if i get this wrong, could you copy your reply to my email shones@blueyonder.co.uk too, please (trying to fix for next sunday

Hi, have you tried what fluyffyb posted above? He suggested to just increase the sound volume on Windows.

P.S. I love the LS9 back in the day!

rio197

Just to throw my hat in the ring, I am having the same issue. Volume is all set correctly in the mixer interface (i.e. generally in the high green, yellow regions) and yet the audio on the stream is very low. On my monitor headphones set to 50%, the volume is great, but unfortunately this is not what is going out to the stream and if I apply any more gain, audio clipping and distortion occurs.

If you're adding extra gain it is best put the Gain filter after a Compression to keep things under control.
Here's my chain of filters (on the Desktop Sound you can add another Gain filter of +10dB before the Limiter)

werdnahman

I'm having the same problem. My Audio Mixer in OBS is pegging out, I've got 10 dB of gain which keeps me in the red, but my youtube videos are significantly quieter than every other channel I can find. They're about loud enough for me, but our church has a lot of members who need to turn the volume up at home and can't hear it. It's probably still about 10 dB quieter at max volume than other channels, but if I increase the gain, I get audible clipping. Using OBS 26.1.1, Windows 10, 64 bit, x264 encoder, CBR rate control at 4000 Kbps, no x264 options...

werdnahman

I figured out why my stream was too quiet. I needed to add a compressor & limiter, and use more gain. That keeps me from clipping while I can get the volume to similar levels to other youtube channels.

UnheardHawk

it's Aug 2021 and this is still an issue :(.. funny that it works fine on my MacBook but on my windows machine, the output volume is puny....