Question / Help Obs Studio Cores/threads

Good day ...
I will compile a new streaming PC which will be devoted only to OBS Studio and ...

streaming:
Encode - x264
Bitrete - 6k bitrate
keyframes - 2
Code - Medium
Profile - High
1080p 60 fps

+

records:
Encode - Nvenc
Bitrete - 60k bitrate
keyframes - 5 ???
Code - maximum quality
Profile - High
1080p 60 fps

I'm going through dual pc streaming!

My game pc:
  • MB: Msi mag Z390 Tomahawk
  • WIN: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
  • CPU: Intel Core i9 9900k
  • GPU: Msi Geforce 2070 Gaming Z 8G 8Gb GDDR6
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance Black 16Gb DDR4 3000Mhz
  • PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold - 850W
  • SSD1: Samsung SSD 960 EVO (M.2) - 250GB
  • SSD2: Samsung SSD 970 EVO PLUS (M.2) - 500GB
  • HDD1: Seagate BarraCuda - 2TB
  • HDD2: Seagate BarraCuda - 2TB
  • CASE: Be quiet! Silent Base 801
  • MONITOR: LG 34UC89G-B - LED monitor 34"
  • CPU COLER: NZXT Kraken X72
  • SOUND CARD: Creative Sound Blaster ZX
  • HEADPHONES: Logitech G231 Prodigy

My streaming pc:
  • MB: ASRock B450M PRO4
  • WIN: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
  • CPU: Amd Ryzen 7 2700X
  • GPU: Msi Geforce 1070 Gaming X 8G 8Gb
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance Black 16Gb DDR4 3000Mhz
  • PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold - 850W
  • SSD: Samsung SSD 960 EVO (M.2) - 250GB
  • HDD: Seagate BarraCuda - 2TB
  • CASE: Be quiet! Silent Base 801
  • MONITOR1: Acer Nitro VG270bmiix - LED monitor 27"
  • MONITOR2: Acer Nitro VG270bmiix - LED monitor 27"
  • CPU COLER: Be quiet! Dark Rock PRO 4
  • SOUND CARD: Creative Sound Blaster ZX
  • EDITINGCARD: Elgato Game Capture 4K60 Pro
  • WEBCAM1: Logitech Webcam C922 Pro Stream
  • WEBCAM2: Logitech Webcam C922 Pro Stream
  • WEBCAM3: Creative Live! Cam Sync HD
  • MICROPHONE1: Behringer C-1U
  • MICROPHONE2: Behringer C-1U
  • HEADPHONES1: Logitech G231 Prodigy
  • HEADPHONES2: Logitech G231 Prodigy
  • GREENSCREEN: Elgato Green Screen

And I need to know if Ryzen 9 3950x would be enough for this because my current 2700x has a problem with the stream itself, let alone recording.
I stream mostly FPS events where the scenes change very fast and therefore also the complexity of the whole set

What I am going to buy is here:https://www.czc.cz/ddmiao50kgig0b4vpd7pvjrv7a/seznam
only with the difference that instead of 3900x that I currently have in the cart will be Ryzen 9 3950x. (This CPU is still not for sale)

Currently I am also facing a problem
Failed to recreate D3D11: Failed to create input layout (80070057)
which I hope will disappear with the purchase of a new computer

So how much OBS can use cores / threads to buy a CPU accordingly?
I just if I should wait for Ryzen 9 3950x or look for some threadripper?

TryHD

records:
Encode - Nvenc
Bitrete - 60k bitrate
keyframes - 5 ???
Code - maximum quality
Profile - High
1080p 60 fps
This settings are garbage.
Use
rate control CQP
CQ Level 18
Keyframe Interval 0
Preset Quality
Profile High
Max B frames 2 if you directly upload your video to youtube
Max B frames 0 if you want to use it in a editor like adobe premiere, sony vegas or so.

Beside that don't mix monitors with different refresh rates, that will cause lag and frametime issues.

Last edited:
You mean, if I want to play on a 144Hz monitor with G-sync support, then I need to have all the same monitors ?!

As for recording so thank you for your advice and will definitely try! :)

TryHD

You mean, if I want to play on a 144Hz monitor with G-sync support, then I need to have all the same monitors ?!
You don't want to play at all on 144 hz while streaming or recording, you want to play on 120 hz if you want a smooth stream. And yes you want all monitors to be the same because windows can't handle different refresh rates well and will introduce stuttering to your recordings.
Next tip is you said you stream FPS games, than you want to max out the bitrate as much as twitch allows, so streaming with 8100 or 8200 kbit/s would be best, you can go even a littlebit higher but risk with that, that they disable the source quality if you have transcoding or showing your viewers error code #1000. That happens to me if i set my bitrate to 8600 kbit/s or more. So staying in the 8000-8200 range should be fine.
But the good thing is that it will work or not there are no half dead streams that lag like hell like twitch had years ago.

But my editing card Elgato 4K60 Pro anyway do not connect through the Display port so she goes through the classic HDMI to 60Hz so I do not understand the refresh rate of monitors that only display chat, etc.

Otherwise I have set my game monitor to 120Hz :) Thank you for your advice

carlmmii

Just as a baseline for medium encoding, the 3900x will sit rock solid at 40% total CPU usage (as viewed by Task Manager) for 1080p60 medium preset. Extrapolate from there for the 3950x.

To put it bluntly, the 3950x will be absolute overkill for 1080p60 medium, especially if it's being used as a capture/encode-only system.

Just as a baseline for medium encoding, the 3900x will sit rock solid at 40% total CPU usage (as viewed by Task Manager) for 1080p60 medium preset. Extrapolate from there for the 3950x.

To put it bluntly, the 3950x will be absolute overkill for 1080p60 medium, especially if it's being used as a capture/encode-only system.

Well, I'm just struggling with this problem https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/crash-obs-dual-streaming-setup.110927/ and I tried to solve it in about five forums (reddit, streamlabs, obs, nvidia ...) and nobody is able to help me kind of hope that upgrading will be what will solve my problem once and for all. Currently trying to help me from NVIDIA https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/328361/error-in-nvlddmkm-driver/ but no result yet

It is interesting that now on my 2700x running CPU max at 50% at MEDIUM 1080p 60FPS.Bohužel I have a couple of skipped and skipped frames in OBS Studio I have no overlay (animated) and so I'm afraid that even 3900x will be overlay little. only the animations are pretty challenging.

Currently I only have
2x webcam 720p 60 fps
Capture the game through Elgato 4K60 Pro
Capturing my second monitor screen

Last edited:

carlmmii

It seems you've been given a lot of advice already on steps to troubleshoot. What I can say from the OBS logs from the other thread is that I concur with R1CH's assessment -- the GPU driver is apparently having some kind of issue that is forcing it to restart.

First, does this problem also manifest when recording only? Troubleshooting this with the necessity to stream every time to test it would get very tedious very quickly.

Considering the number of devices connected to your stream computer, as well as the number of PCIe devices, I would start from ground zero and work back up. No PCIe devices other than the GPU, no USB devices other than kb/mouse.

Make sure your mobo bios is fully up to date. Create a new scene in OBS that only has a display capture, and record to see if the problem happens after a few hours. If not, move on to the next component you want to add.

I wouldn't worry about adding any media sources -- just focus on including each device individually to the same scene and see if the system handles things.

As a quick take, if this does end up being an issue of "too many things", then I would definitely look at possibly replacing the motherboard. Since you swapped GPUs and had the exact same issue, that rules out being a GPU issue directly... but it doesn't rule out the communication between the GPU and everything else, which is very much between the CPU, RAM, and the PCIe bus, which is very much going to be reliant on the motherboard and the bios.

You called it the advice, but I see only a "possible cause". Unfortunately, I didn't get one of them here!

I even solve this problem with Nvidia support, which you can find here:https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...hics-cards/5/328361/error-in-nvlddmkm-driver/

Recording is not important to me and I would not help much because the problem sometimes occurs after 5 or 20 minutes but it can be even an hour - two.

Of course I have Bios up to date with all the drivers. I watch these things pretty much

"As a quick take, if this does end up being an issue of "too many things", then I would definitely look at possibly replacing the motherboard. Since you swapped GPUs and had the exact same issue, that rules out being a GPU issue directly... but it doesn't rule out the communication between the GPU and everything else, which is very much between the CPU, RAM, and the PCIe bus, which is very much going to be reliant on the motherboard and the bios. "
Yes, I have this suspicion as well and a pearl ...

About four days ago I found out that when I first turn on the streaming pc and let it run into windows and then only gaming so I do not have this problem.And on the second streaming pc monitor I can even turn on google chrome !!! I can stream 6 hours in a row without a single bug or crash OBS Studio :)

The question remains why this is the case?
In my opinion it must be in some synchronization of video or audio because if I turn on the game pc first and then streaming sooner or later the error will appear. It is a very strange phenomenon that I do not understand and although I have found a temporary fix that I must watch, I would like to know the cause.

This or next month I will be buying new components into the streaming pc. It is a new processor, RAM memory and motherboard and I am very curious if the problem will be solved because it would mean that you were right.

I'm just burning the message from R1CH who wrote to me that ...
"Your GPU is crashing. Make sure it isn't overclocked and has enough power and latest drivers etc."

And I clearly told him that
1) The graphics card has never been clocked!
2) The drivers are up to date
3) The video card has enough power because I replaced the 620W power supply with 850W and the problem persists
4) The graphics card is in 100% state because I used to play games like Battlefield V, Euro Truck Simulator 2 etc. ... and I never had a problem with it.

From this he could conclude that GPU will probably be fine and could write some other option that I could solve but he did not respond and had no problem to solve and it is clear that if I have a problem with my computer only in OBS Studio so I really need "support" "by OBS Studio.A it is really sad that the problem with the seeds trying to solve forum users without whom I could not absolutely anything and for that you folks thank you very much !!!!!

And unfortunately I have to say that OBS Studio is for me currently the worst support with which I had the honor of sometimes solving something :( I just expected some more kick that I could grab and thus gradually find a solution to the problem

carlmmii

Something to remember, games don't really stress the PCIe bus much at all. Streaming on the other hand absolutely does, with all of the frame data being sent constantly between the GPU and the CPU.

That's why I'm saying there may be something going on with your motherboard that is manifesting itself in your GPU driver crashing -- it doesn't mean your GPU is bad, just that something involving your GPU is going on that your driver is having issues with. If the motherboard can't send the correct data between the GPU and the outside components, then that's going to be a problem for the GPU driver.

Last edited:
I have a similar setup.
Gaming PC 8700k + 2080 TI
Streaming PC 2700x + 1050 TI + 4k60 pro

Stream at 1080p60, record at 1440p60
Streaming Preset faster (if you pass 60% cpu usage you're already prone to frame skipping)
Recording using Nvenc (new) max performance

Gaming PC at 120 Hz, G-Sync ON, V-Sync ON (Nvidia CP only, off in game)
Limit frames at 117 fps (don't let it reach 120 otherwise you'll get input lag because V-Sync will actually turn on)

Clone gaming monitor to 4k60 pro
Put the card's EDID in Internal mode and 1440p (in your case 1080p)

In OBS, put the capture card at device default, not custom

These settings will guarantee a 100% smooth stream with NO SCREEN TEARING. At least in my case.

Now to the OP topic: next week I will install a 3950x in my streaming rig. I'll let you know how far I can go in x264 presets with it.