Bug Report OBS Studio 17.0.0 Crashes with Game Capture

Does anyone have an idea of what's going on here? I'm able to stream with x264, but the GPU encoder plugin is what I need right now, and it's unusable.

Is there a reason why no one has replied to this thread? I'm at a loss here. If there is no solution, I'd appreciate it if someone could let me know.

Same result with 1.4.3.8. OBS Studio crashes after a few seconds. The crash log that I'm getting is the same as the one posted above.

Here's the latest log:

Attachments

• 2017-01-14 23-56-45.txt
    16.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Try to reduce video settings in the game. Enable fps limiter in the game (if any).
I was using CSGO to test, and I had everything as low as it could go except textures. I also used an FPS cap of 288. CSGO doesn't use much more than 2GB of VRAM maxed out, IIRC, at 1920x1080. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Game of course.
Yeah, just tried that, too. 30 FPS cap doesn't work in CSGO for some reason. Defaults to 60 when 30 is set. Limiting the in game FPS to 60 stops the crashing. Interesting. I used to be able to stream with AMD VCE with the in game cap at 0 or at 288 with my R9 290.

limit fps at 30.

Yeah, just tried that, too. 30 FPS cap doesn't work in CSGO for some reason. Defaults to 60 when 30 is set. Limiting the in game FPS to 60 stops the crashing. Interesting. I used to be able to stream with AMD VCE with the in game cap at 0 or at 288 with my R9 290.

The fps_max command in CSGO only goes at a minimum value of 60. There is an external means via RivaTuner included with MSI Afterburner but I don't know if it can cause black screens when game capturing Source Engine games on OBS

The fps_max command in CSGO only goes at a minimum value of 60. There is an external means via RivaTuner included with MSI Afterburner but I don't know if it can cause black screens when game capturing Source Engine games on OBS
Okay, good to know. Regardless, though, the encoder is useless to me if I have to set my in game FPS to 30 in order to stream. I was able to stream games with high in game FPS caps with my R9 290 at one point, and now I suddenly can't with my R9 Fury?

Also, I get frame drops using Relive to stream, as well. If I set the stream FPS to 60, the stream FPS sits at around 40-50 FPS. If I set it to 30, the stream FPS sits at around 20 FPS. Something is going on here, and it's not on my end.

OBS Studio 17.0.1, 1.4.3.8, and ReLive 17.1.1. OBS Studio is still crashing after a few seconds when attempting to use the encoder. Same crash log as before.

Attachments

• 2017-01-17 20-34-45.txt
    16.5 KB · Views: 17

Suslik V

Your issue was very similar to Windows AU (if possible, try to test for crashes on older OS too). And capping games at 60 or 30 fps is a good option - don't refuse to use it (if you capturing of course, not just playing the games).

Your issue was very similar to Windows AU (if possible, try to test for crashes on older OS too). And capping games at 60 or 30 fps is a good option - don't refuse to use it (if you capturing of course, not just playing the games).
Capping games at 30/60 FPS is a viable option for single player game, if I absolutely have to. However, I refuse to cap my frame rate at 30/60 FPS for games like CS:GO and Rainbow Six Siege. It's not going to happen.

Fortunately, I've found that using Display Capture allows me to do what I want. I've disabled Game Capture in my OBS Studio profile for now.