Bug Report OBS stops streaming after a few hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiercE

I'm streaming Dota 2 and after maybe 3 hours, OBS will stop streaming and crash.

Here are some logs:
Code:
Open Broadcaster Software v0.466a - 32bit (´・ω・`)
-------------------------------
CPU Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
CPU Speed: 3400MHz
Physical Memory:  4095MB Total, 4095MB Free
stepping id: 7, model 10, family 6, type 0, extmodel 1, extfamily 0, HTT 1, logical cores 8, total cores 4
Windows Version: 6.1 Build 7601 S
Aero is Disabled
------------------------------------------
Adapter 1
  Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
  Video Adapter Dedicated Video Memory: 1293352960
  Video Adapter Shared System Memory: 2952937472
=====Stream Start=====================================================================
  Multithreaded optimizations: On
  Base resolution: 1280x720
  Output resolution: 1280x720
Loading up D3D10...
Using auxilary audio input: Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)
Audio Encoding: AAC
    bitrate: 128
Using Monitor Capture
Video Encoding: x264
    fps: 50
    width: 1280, height: 720
    preset: veryfast
    CBR: no
    max bitrate: 2700
    buffer size: 3000
    quality: 10
Using RTMP service: Twitch / Justin.tv
  Server selection: rtmp://live-mia.justin.tv/app
Total frames rendered: 1221, number of frames that lagged: 1 (0.08%) (it's okay for some frames to lag)
Number of b-frames dropped: 0 (0%), Number of p-frames dropped: 0 (0%), Total 0 (0%)
=====Stream End=======================================================================

Profiler results:

==============================================================
frame - [100%] [avg time: 6.246 ms] [avg calls per frame: 1] [children: 93.7%] [unaccounted: 6.31%]
| scene->Preprocess - [47.3%] [avg time: 2.955 ms] [avg calls per frame: 1]
| video encoding and uploading - [46.4%] [avg time: 2.897 ms] [avg calls per frame: 1] [children: 15.1%] [unaccounted: 31.3%]
| | CopyResource - [0.144%] [avg time: 0.009 ms] [avg calls per frame: 0]
| | conversion to 4:2:0 - [0.032%] [avg time: 0.002 ms] [avg calls per frame: 0]
| | call to encoder - [14.8%] [avg time: 0.927 ms] [avg calls per frame: 0]
| | sending stuff out - [0.048%] [avg time: 0.003 ms] [avg calls per frame: 0]
==============================================================

Here is my stream right before it crashed: http://www.twitch.tv/fiercetv/b/359711561?t=3h06m30s

This happens often to me on quality 10. When I ran my stream with the same settings on quality 9, it didn't crash when I streamed about the same amount of time but the stream quality is noticeably worse. My computer can definitely handle quality 10 and so can my connection. The problem is with OBS when it stops responding and I have to open the task manager to end the process.

I see that my logs say that I have the 32 bit version of OBS. Where can I find the download link to the 64 bit version?

Bensam123

Quality 10 increases the bandwidth usage when you bump up against your max bit rate. If you're noticing a 'noticeable' decrease in quality with quality 8 or 9 that probably means your bit rate is too low to support your streaming settings.

I don't know why OBS would crash with a quality of 10 though. It'd just start dropping frames if it couldn't handle it.

64bit version is in the folder with the 32 bit version, but the only reason you'd want to use it is if you're running a 64bit game and want to use game capture with it.

FiercE

if you look at my stream link i posted, my stream looks crystal clear at quality 10 with the settings i posted

OBS says that I don't drop any frames and if you look at the quality of my stream, it looks like i don't drop frames either

are you suggesting i should increase the bitrate? can you give me a ballpark? do you think 4000 would be good? what about the buffer rate?

Bensam123

Quality only reduces the visual quality in high motion scenes in which your bit rate can't keep up with the streaming settings, so it compromises the two. That's the only time it would change your video quality. If it's always changing your video quality at a setting of 8 that would more then likely mean too much is going on on the screen for it to keep up with your bandwidth.

If that's the case I would monitor your bandwidth. You will probably see your connection using much more bandwidth then 2700.

How much you can increase your bit rate to would depend on your connection speed (based on where you're streaming to). I stream FPS's at 720p@30 with a quality of 8 with a bit rate of 3100. It rarely if never distorts. I'm guessing since you're streaming at 50fps and the shear amount of action you have going on is causing it to use more bandwidth.

Ideally you should look for setting where you can sit comfortably at with a quality of 8-9 and it doesn't distort except in extremely high action scenes. The few times I tried streaming at 60fps with the above settings it resulted in distortion in high action scenes, although I don't stream at 60fps normally due to this (and the performance hit).

If you aren't dropping any frames and you aren't getting network lag in game with a quality of 10, chances are your connection is much faster (normally the spikes from quality 10 would run into your bandwidth cap and your game would lag). Use speedtest.net and click a server that is next to the twitch server you stream to.

FiercE

increasing my bitrate and buffer seems to have solved the problem

thank you for your help

there should be a guide for what the ideal bitrate is for what resolution, quality and fps you're using

the recommended setting said 3000kbit/s was good enough but it wasn't

i am now using 4000kbit/s and 6000 buffer

i am on 1280 by 720 and quality 10 at 50 fps

Bensam123

Yeah at 50 or 60fps you'd need a higher bit rate then 30fps. There really isn't a ideal solution because it always varies based on the amount of action on your screen, so there really isn't anyway for it to offer an exact solution.

You should do a bit of googling about the quality setting, a setting of 10 isn't always the best setting to use. I guess you wont start to notice that till you hit your bandwidth cap and your game starts lagging though.

Xaraa

Why would you use 4000kbps, i think you will hardly to any viewers at all will watch your stream due to the high bandwidth. You have to rememer your viewers have to download you stream with Qualtiy 8 and 3000kbps looks amazing, i don't understand why you would use Quality 10, 4000kbps on Dota 2 i will never know.

Plus, your using your base res as 1280x720 you should not do this. You should put your monitor res and downscale it to 1280x720(1.50) this will put less stress on your system and stop your image being distorted.

Grimio

There are legitimate reasons for setting the base resolution at 720p(capture cards @ 60fps, for example).
But that aside, as it's not the case here, is it really proven that output down scaling is better performance wise? It sounds counter intuitive that a better quality resize also has better performance.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Downscaling will always be better performance. The reason is because the downscaling process in OBS costs almost nothing. The output image is much smaller, requires less throughput, and requires less encoding time as well because it's smaller.

Grimio

I'm still kinda confused. Which downscaling do you mean?
Let's say I have a 1080p source and want to output it at 720p. I can either set the base resolution to 720p and resize the source in the window until it fits, or I can use a 1080p base resolution and downscale it in the video settings.
How do these compare performance wise?

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
The downscale option in video settings.

You never really want to resize the source manually, you always want it to be at it's original size of possible for a 1:1 pixel ratio.

The downscale option in video settings is an optimal method of image resizing of the entire stream with minimal loss to overall image quality

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
To expand a bit on what Jim is saying: downscaling in the Video settings uses a special downscaling algorithm that results in high-quality downscales rather than just resizing it in the frame, and it's faster. The downside is that it can only downscale by certain increments.

Maelas

Thanks for this guys - this helped me out. For the last year Ive been setting 720p as my native. However since my monitor is 1200 - my downscale has to be 960 or 800

Lightningsoul

I do have this problem, too. I think it's a bug of OBS where it writes the total amount of frames into your RAM and does not delete anything after a while. It usually happens to me after 6-7 hours streaming in 720p on 3.5 MBPS. OBS crashes and my RAM is full (see task manager).

This should get fixed by just deleting cache every hour (without having to restart PC or stream). This is not a problem of my PC or my setup in general.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
You're having an unrelated issue, likely caused by a capture device. Please don't hijack threads, especially ones from 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.