OBS Scene Timer

Free OBS Scene Timer v2.0.2

Jay F. Jay

I have upgraded from OBS v27 to OBS v28 and am not able to get this plugin to connect to the websocket. I have set OBS to port 4444 without authentication. Even so ws://localhost:4444 will not connect. Is this a known issue? Is there any thing else I can do to help with troubleshooting?
Did you launch the server in OBS (in addition to changing the port)?

Screenshot 2022-10-12 at 10.50.18.png

Do you mean this dialog box? I have tried it like this and it still doesn't work.

Jay F. Jay

Yes this is what I meant, but everything seems fin on this one...
I don't have more ideas for you, sorry....

Maybe just a last idea to try with https://streamer.bot/ to try and establish the link (if a third party tool manages to talk with OBS, then you'll know it's on your side).

I have changed websocket to 4455 (to match the default in OBS) in the timer and restarted, but it just won't connect. I'm a at a bit of aloss what to do next to be honest, but thanks for your help so far.

Screenshot 2022-10-13 at 16.54.39.png

Fred Warren

I finally got a clue and enabled debugging. This should prove to be useful:

Code:
11:30:02.440: [obs-websocket] [debug] [WebSocketServer::onOpen] Sending Op 0 (Hello) message:
11:30:02.440: {
11:30:02.440:   "d": {
11:30:02.440:     "obsWebSocketVersion": "5.0.1",
11:30:02.440:     "rpcVersion": 1
11:30:02.440:   },
11:30:02.440:   "op": 0
11:30:02.440: }

11:30:02.444: [obs-websocket] [debug] [WebSocketServer::onMessage] Incoming message (decoded):
11:30:02.444: {
11:30:02.444:   "message-id": "36",
11:30:02.444:   "request-type": "GetVersion"
11:30:02.444: }
11:30:02.445: [obs-websocket] [WebSocketServer::onMessage] Client [::ffff:127.0.0.1]:56955 appears to be running a pre-5.0.0 protocol.

11:30:02.449: [obs-websocket] [WebSocketServer::onClose] WebSocket client `[::ffff:127.0.0.1]:56955` has disconnected with code `4010` and reason: You appear to be attempting to connect with the pre-5.0.0 plugin protocol. Check to make sure your client is updated.

Fred Warren

When upgrading to OBS 28 or doing a clean install for the manner the web-socket 5.0 plugin is installed. They of course are encouraging all plug in developers to upgrade to 5.0.

However there is an OBS 4.9 compatibility plugin that can be installed and I vouch that it does work. The plugin can be found here

This plugin wants to run on port 4444 so the standard web socket needs to run on some other port. The currently recommended 4455 works just fine for this.

Built in web-socket plugin on port: 4455
Compatibility web-socket plugin on port: 4444

Thanks for your help on this. So did a clean reinstall of the OBS (using ther version which was released on Oct 1st) and instaladed websock 4.9. However, still no joy. Below are the settings and the messages that I get.

Screenshot 2022-10-17 at 11.40.10.png

Screenshot 2022-10-17 at 11.40.21.png

Screenshot 2022-10-17 at 11.40.29.png

Ok, have made another dicovery. I have reisntalled OBS 27.2.4 and Scene Tmer 1.7.0 as that was the last configuration that I had working, and now even that doesn't work, which makes me think I have something not set up correctly outside of OBS. The 2 message that I get are "Something went wrong during retrieval of scenes: null" then "Could not connect to OBS". Any ideas? Thanks again

Fred Warren

Smashing, thnaks. Do I need to unistall all the previous versions of websock? I 5.0 installed as part of the upgrade procedure
I can tell you what I had done:
  1. Close OBS Scene Timer
  2. Close OBS 27.x
  3. Upgraded to OBS 28 (which install Websockets 5.0 during the upgrade)
  4. Started OBS
  5. Switch all apps that uses Websockets from Unencrypted Port: 4444 to Encrypted Port: 4455
  6. Note any apps that do not work. These apps use Websockets 4.x. Change these apps back to using Unencrypted Port: 4444
  7. Closed OBS
  8. Installed the Websock 4.x compatibility plugin
  9. Started OBS
  10. Under Tool -> WebSockets Server Settings Settings (4.x Compat)
    1. Enable Web Sockets Server
    2. Server Port: 4444
    3. Ok
  11. Start any app that uses the older Websockets 4.x, such as OBS Scene Timer

That's really clear thanks. Just one question at point 10 you say "Under Tool -> WebSockets Server Settings Settings (4.x Compat)" but all I have in OBS (even after installing the websock 4.x plugin) is the same meu options from before. I can't see any option to make changes to settings specifically for the compatabily plugin, or am I missing something somewhere?

sampie777

Hi guys, as others pointed out, OBS Scene Timer will not work with OBS v28 as OBS v28 uses a new OBS websocket protocol (v5). OBS Scene Timer uses websocket protocol v4. I'm updating OBS Scene Timer so the new version will support v5, but some important features are missing in their new websocket protocol (like fetching scene sources in order to compute scene duration). So it might take a while for the new OBS Scene Timer release to be available.

As other stated, a workaround is to use OBS websocket v4.

Thanks for the upate. I have installed websocket v4 but still cannot get it to work. Do I need to uninstall websocket v5 which came with OBS 28? Thanks.

sampie777

Thanks for the upate. I have installed websocket v4 but still cannot get it to work. Do I need to uninstall websocket v5 which came with OBS 28? Thanks.

Have you updated the websocket port in OBS Scene Timer to the same websocket port used by websocket v4 (default is 4444)? You can check this port in OBS via the menu Tools -> WebSockets Server Settings (4.x Compat).

You do not need to uninstall v5. Both version can work next to each other, just on different ports.

Yes. The websocket address in OBS Scene Time is ws://localhost:4444 and I have changed it in OBS websocket settings to 4444. You mention the menu Tools -> WebSockets Server Settings (4.x Compat). Is this different to the one you access via Tools-> obs-weboscket settings?

sampie777

Yes. The websocket address in OBS Scene Time is ws://localhost:4444 and I have changed it in OBS websocket settings to 4444. You mention the menu Tools -> WebSockets Server Settings (4.x Compat). Is this different to the one you access via Tools-> obs-weboscket settings?

'obs-weboscket settings' is for websocket v5 (not supported with OBS Scene Timer).
'WebSockets Server Settings (4.x Compat)' is for websocket v4 which you have to install manually using the link I provided earlier. This is the one which port settings must match with OBS Scene Timer.

I see! I did install that but how do get to WebSockets Server Settings (4.x Compat)? For me it installed, asked if I wanted to send the installer to the bin and that was it. Should I have a new menus item under tools in OBS (because I don't)?

sampie777

Yes you should get an extra menu item under Tools. Running the installer it should prompt you for an installation location (choose the current location of OBS). But the new timer update is expected to be released this week.