OBS redux

JPL

FYI, I went searching around regarding ffmpeg/libav support in Debian/Ubuntu. It looks like there is a discussion underway to get ffmpeg back into Debian (and derivatives), as its development pace and quality have proven better than the libav fork's. So hopefully that will sort itself out eventually and de-complicate the picture for Ubuntu users like me.

In the meantime, there is a well-maintained PPA with recent/latest ffmpeg.

Even with this PPA installed, I still get this error when trying to run ./configure:

checking libavcodec/avcodec.h usability... yes
checking libavcodec/avcodec.h presence... yes
checking for libavcodec/avcodec.h... yes
checking libavformat/avformat.h usability... yes
checking libavformat/avformat.h presence... yes
checking for libavformat/avformat.h... yes
checking libavutil/avutil.h usability... yes
checking libavutil/avutil.h presence... yes
checking for libavutil/avutil.h... yes
checking libavutil/channel_layout.h usability... no
checking libavutil/channel_layout.h presence... no
checking for libavutil/channel_layout.h... no
configure: error: libavutil header not found

UPDATE: For anyone who's going down the same path as me, the reason this error occurs is that the PPA I linked above is for ffmpeg 0.10, which is not the latest version (1.2) and doesn't have some of the headers OBS is looking for. So make sure you're using ffmpeg 1.2 and not an earlier version.

CoreDuo

Out of curiosity, I attempted to get obs-studio working on Siduction (based on Debian sid) in VMware. It built fine, but trying to run it produced this error:

Code:
Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/locale/en.txt
Attempted path: /usr/local/share/obs/obs-studio/locale/en.txt
X and Y: 909 455
Backbuffers: 2
Color Format: 3
ZStencil Format: 0
Adapter: 0

OpenGL version: 2.1 Mesa 9.2.2

obs-studio requires OpenGL version 2.1 or higher.
device_create (GL) failed
Failed to initialize graphics
Number of memory leaks: 2

Didn't know if it was appropriate to post my findings on github, so I'll just leave it here in case it's useful to someone.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
It doesn't currently work on mesa right now. I'm using a GL extension that isn't supported by it, and I have to make a workaround for it.

computerquip

CoreDuo said:
Out of curiosity, I attempted to get obs-studio working on Siduction (based on Debian sid) in VMware. It built fine, but trying to run it produced this error:

Code:
Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/locale/en.txt
Attempted path: /usr/local/share/obs/obs-studio/locale/en.txt
X and Y: 909 455
Backbuffers: 2
Color Format: 3
ZStencil Format: 0
Adapter: 0

OpenGL version: 2.1 Mesa 9.2.2

obs-studio requires OpenGL version 2.1 or higher.
device_create (GL) failed
Failed to initialize graphics
Number of memory leaks: 2

Didn't know if it was appropriate to post my findings on github, so I'll just leave it here in case it's useful to someone.

This actually helped me fix a bug. If you pull latest HEAD, you should get a different output now. Thanks for the output!

Locutus

Hey! Great to hear about the redux project! I'm a friend of someone who does a monthly retro gaming stream, and he's presently using XSplit. I'm trying to convince him that OBS is an alternative that uses less CPU, doesn't need a login on their servers, and is free.

We're missing a few features in the present version of OBS though, compared to XSplit, which would be great if they could be added. Namely rotation/panning of graphics and capture sources and so on. Very important would be FMLE style authentication, because the media server we're presently using (crtmpserver) supports that. I'll add more later, we're just doing some tests. :)

Locutus

Ooh thanks Gol! FMLE Auth works perfectly!

Okay, so my friend and I just went through his XSplit scenes, and there's basically just two things that he'd like to have and that are missing at the moment, even though they're not mission critical: Rotation/panning of sources (images, screen capture, webcam etc.), and integrated video playback if possible.

Another thing that would put OBS miles ahead of XSplit: The ability to edit one scene while broadcasting another. That's a feature I'd find VERY useful, and that's being asked for in the XSplit forums for ages!

In any case, multiple thumbs up for this project!!

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
We will definitely have native video/audio integration via ffmpeg. Editing a scene without broadcasting it will also be possible.

Locutus

Brilliant! No, fantastic! :D

My friend is presently rebuilding all his XSplit scenes in OBS. Especially since he's having some graphical and audio glitches there with his ATI card (red flashes in videos and camera images, audio skips ahead like half a second from time to time), and all the XSplit guys had to say about that was "we don't support ATI, get an NVidia", he's quickly becoming attached to OBS where those glitches do NOT occur!

Radfordhound

Hi. I've got a Roxio Game a Capture HD Pro and a terribly old single-cored laptop. It doesn't even meet the requirements for the roxio software that comes with the card. Yet, somehow, miraculously, it let's me capture in 1080p HD through hdmi at 30 fps! O.o

The problem is that the awful software which comes with the roxio is all you're able to use. And it won't let me live stream to twitch (which it's advertised as capable of) because the software is looking for the old Justin.tv server instead of the new twitch.tv. Roxio won't update it to make it work and so currently it cannot livestream.

Even worse, I downloaded obs because it's free in hopes it just might detect my roxio, and whenever I press "start recording" or "preview stream" it tells my that my GPU is incapable of initializing DirectX 10.

I heard about your re-code of obs and decided to check it out. However, I'm a noob and the instructions you provided don't quite make 100% sense to me.

So, I'd like to know a few things.

1: Is there a pre-compiled version I could download? If not, can someone compile it to a windows 7 executable and upload it? I would be very grateful. :)

2: I realize my graphics card apparently doesn't support dx10 (even though I've played dx11 games with it. ), but I heard this rewrite supports OpenGL. Would that work on my terrible integrated GPU? I have a "Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family" according to dxdiag, if you need to know. ;)

3: Will this work with my roxio gamecap Hd pro? I heard Jim say that it will be compatible with the hauppage 2 and roxio, but he did not specify roxio game capture or roxio game capture hd pro.

Thanks so much to anyone who responds to this. :)

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
First of all, there's not a pre-compiled version of the rewrite for you to download because the rewrite is not in a useable state at all yet. If it was, it would be released for people to try.

Second of all, if you have a single-core laptop, you haven't a snowball's chance in hell of streaming with OBS. It's just not going to happen. The reason you can use Roxio's software to capture is because the Roxio device itself is doing all the heavy lifting. Your computer is just storing the output.

Regarding your other questions: The rewrite will not require DX10 in the same way that the current version of OBS does, so that's good news to people with older hardware and operating systems. And yes, the plan is to add support for capturing the Roxio. But that still means encoding would be done on the computer, not the Roxio itself, so your computer would still be in pretty bad shape.

Radfordhound

dodgepong said:
First of all, there's not a pre-compiled version of the rewrite for you to download because the rewrite is not in a useable state at all yet. If it was, it would be released for people to try.

Second of all, if you have a single-core laptop, you haven't a snowball's chance in hell of streaming with OBS. It's just not going to happen. The reason you can use Roxio's software to capture is because the Roxio device itself is doing all the heavy lifting. Your computer is just storing the output.

Regarding your other questions: The rewrite will not require DX10 in the same way that the current version of OBS does, so that's good news to people with older hardware and operating systems. And yes, the plan is to add support for capturing the Roxio. But that still means encoding would be done on the computer, not the Roxio itself, so your computer would still be in pretty bad shape.

I know my computer is old. Like, ancient. Problem is I can't afford a new PC now. :/

All I'm wondering is why obs can't just grab this pre-encoded stream and upload it. Sorry if that's a dumb question, but it seems to me that if the encoding is done on the roxio it shouldn't take a very powerful PC to just upload.

Thanks for responding, though. I'm glad that the stupid dx10 requirement won't be in this rewrite. That's great news! :)

So I guess that even with this re-write it boils down to me getting a new PC. I suppose I need one anyway. I'll hold onto this dusty old thing for a little longer if I can, then we're going pro. *sunglasses*

...At least hopefully. XD

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
OBS is designed to take a video stream, composite sources together, and then encode the video into h264 video to be streamed to the destination of choice. OBS can't just take already-encoded video and forward it somewhere. OBS expects to do the encoding itself.

soslick

The only reason I use Xsplit over OBS is because Xsplit can directly capture my PVR, and from what I have read it sounds like you will be implementing support for all devices(or at least PVR's). Can't wait for this re-write to be finished! I would much rather stream using OBS.

CookieMonsterZA

Hello,

Has anyone been able to compile this on Linux? I'm currently using Mint 16 and installed all the dependencies that I need. However, when I try to compile I get this error:

Code:
[ 78%] Building CXX object obs/CMakeFiles/obs.dir/obs-app.cpp.o
/home/pj/source/obs-studio-master/obs/obs-app.cpp:24:23: fatal error: QProxyStyle: No such file or directory
 #include <QProxyStyle>
                       ^
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [obs/CMakeFiles/obs.dir/obs-app.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [obs/CMakeFiles/obs.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

This is strange because I've installed the qtbase5-dev package via Synaptic and the QProxyStyle header is where it should be.

Weegee

Works for me on Arch Linux. What are your build commands? I use
cmake ./ -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE='Release' -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX='/usr'
make
Maybe that works for you as well?

You're not missing much right now though, I guess it's still a while until there's a first usable alpha-release of OBS 2.0 :)

CookieMonsterZA

Seems like the Qt5 packages in the Mint/Ubuntu repos are a bit buggy. So I've downloaded the Qt 5.2.1 files from the official site and fixed the directories for Qt5:

Qt5Core_DIR = ~/Qt5.2.1/5.2.1/gcc_64/lib/cmake/Qt5Core
Qt5Gui_DIR = ~/Qt5.2.1/5.2.1/gcc_64/lib/cmake/Qt5Gui
Qt5Widgets_DIR = ~/Qt5.2.1/5.2.1/gcc_64/lib/cmake/Qt5Widgets

That fixed the problem and OBS compiled successfully. :D

Reactions: JPL
computerquip said:
Also, concerning Cmake:

CMake is currently MacOSX only. I have a branch that allows it to work on Linux but there are quirks with it on MacOSX. I do not have a Mac at all so I can't test it to get it to work. For right now, priority for Linux is autotools. CMake is for MacOSX.

If the cheapest retail Mac wasn't just above $600, I might have considered buying a Mac for development....

you could always build a hackintosh like I did. http://www.tonymacx86.com is a great place to get build ideas. I gutted my old gaming PC, found a nice 2" tall Gateway 2000 tower from the local Good Will and built an i7 Hackitosh.