OBS Recordings freezing after 80 minutes or so, audio still records.

oceansea

I recently began using OBS to record videos via my webcam. Before the recent update, they usually recorded the full 70 - 180 minute durations of what I was trying to record. Sometimes it would stop recording sooner than desired, but eventually that seemed to stop malfunctioning and recordings were recording the full durations until i selected to stop recordings and save them.

But now the most recent times Ive recorded via my webcam, obs records video and audio fine but only for an hour or a bit more, and then it freezes the video portion but seems to keep recording the audio portions of whatever is happening Im trying to record. I dont know why or how to fix it. Help? Im using OBS 30.0..2, 64 bit. My computer is a pc, running windows 10. Cant update my windows.

AaronD

Help -> Log Files -> Upload...
Copy/paste the URL that it gives you, both here and into the analyzer that you can get to from my signature.

Cant update my windows.
That's its own problem, and probably more serious than what's going on with OBS. Not updating, regardless of why, is an invitation to get hacked. There are people who study those updates, to see what they actually fix, and thus how to get into things that don't have them.

oceansea

What do you mean the url it gives me? I dont see any url. Its doesnt give any notification or url or anything, it just saves the file when i press stop recording. Then when I open to recorded files it starts playing like it should but then video portion of file will eventually freeze frame and stay that way throughout the entire remaining time of video recorded but the audio will continue playing normally in the full length of recorded video audio file.

qhobbes

AaronD

There's a few things there, but nothing jumps out at me. Maybe your iGPU falls over after 80 mins??? It's not unheard of for an internal counter somewhere to exceed some maximum after a while, and cause problems because it's out of range, or something like that. It's not *supposed* to do that, but it's surprising how many things end up that way, and it takes that long to test for and find it.

It's generally recommended to use an explicit GPU in a PCIe slot, if you can. Those tend to be designed a bit more seriously, whereas the integrated thing is more of a cheap token on the CPU that only satisfies a few basic things.
Of the two major brands, stick with NVIDIA for now; their video encoder (NVENC) is much more mature than AMD's more recent attempt. And make sure that it actually *does* have NVENC; not all do.

Wouldn't hurt to look at the other things that the Analyzer found too, even if they don't cause your immediate problem.

oceansea

There's a few things there, but nothing jumps out at me. Maybe your iGPU falls over after 80 mins??? It's not unheard of for an internal counter somewhere to exceed some maximum after a while, and cause problems because it's out of range, or something like that. It's not *supposed* to do that, but it's surprising how many things end up that way, and it takes that long to test for and find it.

It's generally recommended to use an explicit GPU in a PCIe slot, if you can. Those tend to be designed a bit more seriously, whereas the integrated thing is more of a cheap token on the CPU that only satisfies a few basic things.
Of the two major brands, stick with NVIDIA for now; their video encoder (NVENC) is much more mature than AMD's more recent attempt. And make sure that it actually *does* have NVENC; not all do.

Wouldn't hurt to look at the other things that the Analyzer found too, even if they don't cause your immediate problem.
Thank you. Though the fact I dont understand much of what you wrote and how it applies functionally to what I should do to get the video recorder to work correctly, shows that I am not proficient with specifics about computers.

oceansea

Its only gotten worse!!! horrible useless garbage software!!!!!!!!!!!!! This time it recorded absolutelly NO VIDEO at all, of two recordings one about an hour the other a bit longer. WTF>>>!!?!?!? Fix the dam( software!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oceansea

Its only gotten worse!!! horrible useless garbage software!!!!!!!!!!!!! This time it recorded absolutelly NO VIDEO at all, of two recordings one about an hour the other a bit longer. WTF>>>!!?!?!? Fix the dam( software!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even the basic webcam i bought for like $10 and the windows camera software at least records video and audio. Seriously, whoever made this program needs to fix the damn software so it simply reliably works. I lost valuable, irreplaceble work & video recording because this software is utter junky unreliably made! The entire over 2 hours combined only shows the same still image for both videos for what should have been an hour and over an hour respectively of video and audio recordings. Arrrgghhhh. Fix the garbage software so when we simply press record it just friggin records the full video and audio until we press stop recording. Basic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

qhobbes

1. One of your audio devices has a sample rate that doesn't match the rest. This can result in audio drift over time or sound distortion. Check your audio devices in Windows settings (both Playback and Recording) and ensure the Default Format (under Advanced) is consistent. 48000 Hz is recommended.
OBS Sample Rate: 48000 Hz
Speakers (Harman/Kardon SoundSticks): 48000 Hz
Capture Input terminal (AC Interface): 16000 Hz
2. I don't think the current version of OBS supports QSV/Quick Sync Video on your 2013 CPU/GPU, so if it's not, I would recommend using an older version (start with 27.2.4 and go up from there, uninstalling the current version first or use portable installs) that does.
3. Run OBS as Admin. To run OBS as Administrator, right click on the OBS shortcut, properties, advanced, check box, ok, apply, ok.
4. Change the Common FPS value from 60 to 30 since all of your sources are 30 FPS.

oceansea

1. One of your audio devices has a sample rate that doesn't match the rest. This can result in audio drift over time or sound distortion. Check your audio devices in Windows settings (both Playback and Recording) and ensure the Default Format (under Advanced) is consistent. 48000 Hz is recommended.
OBS Sample Rate: 48000 Hz
Speakers (Harman/Kardon SoundSticks): 48000 Hz
Capture Input terminal (AC Interface): 16000 Hz
2. I don't think the current version of OBS supports QSV/Quick Sync Video on your 2013 CPU/GPU, so if it's not, I would recommend using an older version (start with 27.2.4 and go up from there, uninstalling the current version first or use portable installs) that does.
3. Run OBS as Admin. To run OBS as Administrator, right click on the OBS shortcut, properties, advanced, check box, ok, apply, ok.
4. Change the Common FPS value from 60 to 30 since all of your sources are 30 FPS.
Thank you. Ill try those ideas. My audio microphone settings only show option for 2 channel, 16 bit 32,000hz.

AaronD

Even the basic webcam i bought for like $10 and the windows camera software at least records video and audio... ... ...when we simply press record it just friggin records the full video and audio until we press stop recording. Basic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If "all you want to do" is handled by a much simpler app, then use the simpler app. OBS is practically a complete TV studio, for people who do that sort of thing.

oceansea

If "all you want to do" is handled by a much simpler app, then use the simpler app. OBS is practically a complete TV studio, for people who do that sort of thing.
I still want the option for more. Just with stable reliability of the most basic functions to simply press record and it reliably records all video and audio until i press stop recording.

qhobbes

I use to stream at 1080p 30 FPS with a 2012 i7 with a 1080p 30 FPS source. 1080x1920 is 2,073,600 pixels.
I want to believe that your 2013 i5 can handle 3 640x480 sources (921,600 pixels) on a 1280x1024 (1,310,720 pixels) canvas (with no scaling) at 30 FPS.

Your log does show this:
DShow: Run failed (0x800705AA): Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

Your USB may be overloaded. Prior to opening OBS, please make sure that no other programs are the using cameras. Close any unnecessary programs that may access them and unplug any unnecessary USB devices.

Make sure they are not plugged into hubs.

If you end up having to use an older version for QSV support, message me the log link if you're having issues. Old versions not officially supported.

AaronD

Make sure they are not plugged into hubs.
Yes. And that includes internal hubs as well. One camera per USB *controller*, not per port. Almost all systems have just one, maybe two USB controllers, that connect to the physical ports through hubs. Those internal hubs are no different from external ones, and have the same problem.

It's really not the hubs that are the problem, but the controller itself. You can run through as many hubs as you want and be okay (within USB's own spec for the maximum number of them), but as soon as you have more than one (good) camera on a single controller, the controller can't keep up. (I once had four HDMI -> USB captures on a single external hub. It worked, but they were not good!)