OBS RANDOMLY COMPRESSING MY AUDIO

TudorAlexander

I don't know what this is, but something about recording in OBS creates these artifacts in my audio where at the beginning or ending (sometimes even randomly in the middle) you can hear a dampening effect kick in for like half a second. I will post some samples. It is almost like it is reacting to the noise and dampening it.

Important that these artifacts are NOT due to compression or limiter or anything happening or noise removal. They are native to the audio.

Also important is that these things do NOT happen when I record my mic in Audacity just straight through.

My mic (RODE Podmic USB) does NOT have some sort of intermediary management software that's kicking in.

All I can deduce is that OBS is doing something because this consistently happens. I also do not have multiple instances of my microphone in OBS. My OBS settings are very simple. I have nested scenes in a main scene, with the nested scenes simply being audio devices (mic + speakers from computer), camera and screen display. The global audio sources are disabled. The tracks are on separate tracks. Nothing should be conflicting.

What is going on here? It seems to be like OBS has some sort of reaction to sounds and dampens them, but it's not consistent because it's not loud sounds. It's random, or appears to be so, and it's really frustrating for the quality of the audio.

The files are in the zip folder and they are titled example (beginning) or (middle) so you can see where the artifact is.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• audio examples.zip
    164.1 KB · Views: 11

TudorAlexander

UPDATE:

I disabled in my sound settings the Microphone Array "intel smart sound digital technology" because some have suggested it may interfere with microphones. Now OBS doesn't detect my mic, but Audacity does. I am thinking OBS interacts with some setting in windows, possibly this microphone array, and this thing has some sort of gate or limiter or compressor built in that is triggering. I don't know.