Bug Report OBS problem with dual GPU

Voxletum

vmlobo said:
Hey Jim, thanks for your input. Unfortunately, i don't think you understood the problem, if i select obs to run on the amd all i get is a black screen, but if it is on the intel, i am not able to use the game capture on games running on amd. I alredy tried compatibility mode and many combinations of options, unfortunately so far nothing worked. As for the moddded drivers i still haven't installed them, and wont be able to do so today due to a massive headache. Thank you all for the reply's will appreciate if anyonne finds a solution meanwhile, and will post back about the drivers

You need to make sure that -both- OBS and your game are forced to run on the AMD. I'm sure you've already made sure of this, but there shouldn't be an issue if that is done correctly.

What game is this exactly? Does it use OpenGL?

vmlobo

Hey, tahnks for sticking with me trying to help guys, i see we have a nice community here and am going to try to give backas i can. As for the game i want to stream it's mainly league of legends and amnesia, the games are all forced to run on the amd, but if force obs into the amd it wont capture anything, and i am suspicious that it may be due to the amd gpu not showing on the video settings. Thanks for the help!
EDIT: i just tried putting obs on the amd and lol too, desktop still didn't capture, game capture still didn't work on lol

Wonka23

Does your laptop use the Enduro technology? (Switch between Intel and AMD cards automatically) If you can't disable it in the BIOS then you are in the same boat I have been in since OBS started. It's either a driver issue AMD needs to fix with Enduro or OBS doesn't have the right coding yet. I remember Jim saying Enduro is a pain to work with and he doesn't have a laptop with it to work on.

I know with other programs you need to force a specific program to detect the AMD gpu by running an intensive game or anything alike. I tried that with LoL and OBS with no luck. I'm guessing Jim just needs to get his hands on an Enduro enabled laptop to work this issue out.

mathl33t

Jim said:
Do not use the "select adapter" in video settings for multi-GPU laptops. Make sure it's set to the top one always, and then use the nvidia control panel or whatever to select the GPU to use with the app. To verify that you have the right adapter selected, the file %appdata%\global.ini should have Adapter=0 in [Video].

If you set it to use the nvidia in nvidia's control panel, you will most likely not be able to capture the main desktop or lobby without "compatibility mode" in window/monitor capture.

I've been searching for a way to get my dual-GPU laptop to do game capture, and this is it. The FAQ sorta says this, but not in enough of an idiot-proof way for me to get it.

Allan Annuseck

Well, I´m running OBS in a Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bits environment, the pc is a Dell Vostro 3560, which runs a Intel HD4000 with my beloved AMD RADEON 7670M.

I can´t make OBS to work, if I try to display DESKTOP I can only see a cursor moving aroun in a black screen, all games and OBS (32 and 64 bit) are forced to run on AMD card, also, I´m running windows in high performance and connected to the power outlet...

What I get here is:open obs, go to settings, video, video adapter:INTEL HDGRAPHICS 4000, and that´s it.

I even tried to run OBS in the battery to see if it would show up the desktop running the intel card, but it did not worked...

My adapter in "global.ini" is set to "0".

Isn´t there any command lines to force OBS to use the discrete card?

Allan Annuseck

It would result in a massive FPS drop... Anyways, compatibility mode, but compatible with which windows version?

By the way, I´m running leshcat drivers. Latest.

AMD laptop drivers seem to only work with window capture in compatibility mode.

IBTL

Hi, I've just started having this black screen issue. I have been recording and streaming for over a month now (on a laptop admittedly) and its been working fine. Yesterday (while i was casting a random dota 2 game), my game capture stopped working and just gave me a black screen. I've made sure that both game and obs are running on the dedicated graphics card (Nvidia GT 630M), double checked all video and encoding settings but to no avail. Is this issue something to do with the latest Nvidia drivers? cause i reinstalled OBS and im still having the same problem.

I'd rather not resort to the window capture technique cause it affects the quality of vids (artifacting and other stuff in fast moving games). The log analyzer doesnt come up with anything either. Is there a solution for this or am I going to be unable to record/stream on the laptop.

IBTL

Artifacting is caused by too low of a bitrate, not by capture method.
Yes, I need to reduce my bit rate for monitor capture or my laptop will melt and if I record for longer than 10 mins obs crashes saying that my video drivers have frozen or something. Nevertheless, I'm looking for a solution for the game capture problem. I've never had an issue with this before, why has it come up now??