Xternal

PC Specifications:

OS - Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)
CPU - Intel i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
RAM - 16.00 GB DDR3
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

DESIRED APPLICATION:

I had recently purchased the Hauppauge Colossus 2 capture card for my PC. I was looking to use my GoPro Hero 5 as a webcam, since it is next to impossible to get a webcam (or toilet paper) these days. I plan on using this for video conferencing on Zoom.

THE PROBLEM:

After making all necessary connections, the preview (on both OBS and Hauppauge Capture) is extremely delayed. 3 seconds on 720p and up to 5 seconds in 1080p.
Note: The video pass through (which i tested but am not using) works pretty seamlessly, with next to zero latency.

The connections are as follows:

-GoPro Hero 5 Black Edition - micro HDMI converted to HDMI - to HDMI IN of Colossus 2 card.
-25" HP monitor - HDMI - to graphics card

TROUBLESHOOTING:

Confirm Software is up to date.
Confirm Drivers are up to date.
Confirm both resolution and FPS of the GoPro matches the Colossus card specifications (720p@60hz / 1080p@60hz)
Used 2 different HDMI cables that are known to be working.
Restarted computer.
Checked for windows updates.

The problem seems to be the processing (or i guess the word would be encoding?) on the card, being this issue is before attempting to stream or even record. This is on the PREVIEW monitor, but persists when i attempt to video chat. The lag is pretty brutal.

My CPU usage is around 5% according to OBS.

I have attempted to change different video settings but I have limited knowledge of OBS.

Please help!
Your assistance would be greatly appreciated!

FerretBomb

This is an issue with the capture card. Hauppage devices are... not advised. The older units require a number of significant workarounds which were removed from the codebase a few years ago, and they're frankly just terrible units overall. People will regularly pick up one of these units on deep discount and pop up here on the forum asking why it's having an issue. It's intrinsic. It can't be corrected.

The only real fix is to ditch it and get a different capture device. If you were planning to use it to capture a facecam, I'd advise something more along the lines of an Elgato Camlink for simplicity.

Xternal

This is an issue with the capture card. Hauppage devices are... not advised. The older units require a number of significant workarounds which were removed from the codebase a few years ago, and they're frankly just terrible units overall. People will regularly pick up one of these units on deep discount and pop up here on the forum asking why it's having an issue. It's intrinsic. It can't be corrected.

The only real fix is to ditch it and get a different capture device. If you were planning to use it to capture a facecam, I'd advise something more along the lines of an Elgato Camlink for simplicity.

Well that was easy.. alright. Thank you so much for the quick response.
Just so i know.. what kind of delay should i expect to see with a decent card? 500ms? less?
I am obviously new to all of this.

FerretBomb

Well that was easy.. alright. Thank you so much for the quick response.
Just so i know.. what kind of delay should i expect to see with a decent card? 500ms? less?
I am obviously new to all of this.
Normally with a USB 3.0 device like an Elgato Camlink or internal like the Elgato HD60 Pro or something by AverMedia, you'd be expecting around 200-300ms at the outside. Usually it's quite a bit lower than that, sub-100ms or even sub-50ms. Expensive ones can get down close to 16ms (or under, with high framerate sources). This IS mitigated by any delay on the camera output; I don't have any GoPro units, but I wouldn't expect anything significant added there.

Xternal

Normally with a USB 3.0 device like an Elgato Camlink or internal like the Elgato HD60 Pro or something by AverMedia, you'd be expecting around 200-300ms at the outside. Usually it's quite a bit lower than that, sub-100ms or even sub-50ms. Expensive ones can get down close to 16ms (or under, with high framerate sources). This IS mitigated by any delay on the camera output; I don't have any GoPro units, but I wouldn't expect anything significant added there.

Oh thats really minimal, i could deal with that. I’ll just return this card and get one of those options (depending what they have in stock too).
Thank you again for the help!