Obs poor quality when recording

ArrowBreeze

I'm recording full-screen Valorant with these settings:
1629758361746.png

1629758384829.png

I'm recording with display capture if that helps any! I'm trying to record 1080p and around 60fps. I'm using a geforce rtx 2060 with a 1920x1080 res

I am using stream elements obs
quality example:

Last edited:

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
How does the original video look? Youtube will always look worse than your source footage since they re-encode everything.

Kraezy

Right click your video (on youtube)
Click "Stats for Nerds"
Codec = AVC

To get as near to the quality that OBS outputs to the raw file, you need YT to encode your video into the VP9 codec.

2 ways this will happen
Get enough traffic, views, interaction with the video on youtube and youtube's algorithm will change your AVC codec to VP9
or
Upscale your videos in a video editor (Sony Vegas / Adobe etc) to at least 1440p and upload to youtube in 1440p.

ArrowBreeze

How does the original video look? Youtube will always look worse than your source footage since they re-encode everything.
The raw recording ( .mkv ) Looks alright, but when I remux the recording in obs to mp4 it does get slightly worse.
I believe the main source of my problem is just the youtube re-encoding. But it still does drop quality when converted to mp4, do you perhaps know why that occurs?

TryHD

But it still does drop quality when converted to mp4, do you perhaps know why that occurs?
A Crappy player? Like the name says remuxing does not touch the video stream at all and only changes the container, so there is no difference between the mkv and the mp4 in terms of quality.