OBS periodically drops to 0 kbps

SuperSaturnn

I've been having this issue for about a month or so now, possibly starting a bit after I updated OBS 28 and it's really negatively affecting my streams.

What usually happens is that a stream will go on like normal anywhere from 30 seconds to 3+ hours until I notice the red square in the bottom right corner and see that OBS has dropped to 0 kpbs. The first time it happened I assumed it was because my pc was overloaded due to playing a new pc game on stream, but every time after that I've been very much within the confines of my pc's capabilities (streaming console games/games I had no issues with previously).

I've been running OBS in Admin mode for most but not all of these streams, so I don't think that makes a difference. I'm on an ethernet connection with an average of 90mbps Download and 22mbps Upload, but obviously not able to rule this out as it could be dropping right when I have these issues and then going straight back up. I'm also connected to the best server according to twitchtest.

I've heard some issues arising from firewalls or something but I'm honestly not sure how to address this. I went to my Inbound/Outbound Rules within the control panel menus and saw that all ports for OBS were enabled in Inbound Rules (although OBS Studio appears twice here which I'm not sure if it is a problem). In Outbound Rules I don't see OBS Studio at all. Not very familiar with all of this stuff to be honest.

Here's a link to my log from the 2hr stream that decided to kick the bucket tonight which was then followed by a 6min 1min and then 9min stream after multiple disconnects.

Please advise how I can go about fixing this as I am not sure where to go from here.

PaiSand

The most common issue causing 0 kbps drops in OBS is due to the ISP network failing at some point of itself.
The second cause is due to a plugin or script in OBS or a third party software interfering with the network trafic.

You can test your internet connection against Twitch servers using this tool:
Anything lower than 90 quality is bad. You may want to perform a longer test if the drop happens randomly.

Also check:

You still have references to streamFX filters but the pluing isn't there.
Too many browser sources. You can simplify it as you are using streamelements alerts and chat setting them in one overlay.

BricksOBrian

The most common issue causing 0 kbps drops in OBS is due to the ISP network failing at some point of itself.
The second cause is due to a plugin or script in OBS or a third party software interfering with the network trafic.

You can test your internet connection against Twitch servers using this tool:
Anything lower than 90 quality is bad. You may want to perform a longer test if the drop happens randomly.

Also check:

You still have references to streamFX filters but the pluing isn't there.
Too many browser sources. You can simplify it as you are using streamelements alerts and chat setting them in one overlay.
Hey!

I wanted to hop in here, as I've been having the EXACT issues as OP. Ran TwitchTest, and my results are... horrific. I'll stream in 4,000kbps, then drop to 0, and after a few seconds, back to "normal".

Things I've tried include: new modem, streaming from different computers, older versions of OBS, swapping Ethernet cables. None of it has worked.

Log File for reference: https://obsproject.com/logs/InN723DdSXV0ArEo - ISP is Comcast

Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-19 211941.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-19 211941.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 707

PaiSand

Things I've tried include: new modem, streaming from different computers, older versions of OBS, swapping Ethernet cables. None of it has worked.
Any help would be appreciated!

Try disabling or uninstalling Avast, restart the computer and test again. You can reinstall it later if this don't fix it.
In the twitch test results is clear the rtmp protocol is blocked. The first place to check if your own computer, specially the security programs like antivirus and firewalls. Check if windows firewall is blocking OBS or the rtmp protocol.
Do you have any issue with other protocols like watching a movie, youtube videos, etc? Is the quality of the videos as expected or is degraded?
If everything checks, call your ISP regarding this protocol and if they're blocking it by mistake. This is the most probably cause of the issue as you mentioned testing it with other computers but you need to clear the other local causes first.

Ptus

Hej, i have noticed similar problem. My stream to youtube is working fine and suddenly is goving down to 0kbps and not coming back. Only what i can do is stop stream kill OBS start it once again and start streaming.

Do You solve Your issue ?

best regards
Piotr Antoniuk

KhalBurgo

Greetings! I have the same problem on youtube I can stream even at 13k bitrate while on twitch after 2/6 min it disconnects me from the server without losing a frame!

as an ADSL line I have a 100/100

KhalBurgo

while I was writing I was thinking since on youtube I use RTMPS while on Twitch I use RTMP! I don't want it to be just a security issue