Question / Help OBS on non-GUI Linux server (+ multiple instances)

omega1

Hello, is it possible to run OBS on a non-GUI Linux distro (specifically, Debian), I do not need any graphical interface and would run it command line only.

Does OBS require a version wiht GUI to work even though I'd be running it from command line?

This would be running on a VPS.

I am currently running my required setup on a GUI version, but I'm looking at running the VPS with minimal resources and believe that if I can run the server without the overhead of the GUI I'll save resources.

Also, is it possible to run multiple instance of OBS on Linux?

Thank you.

Harold

OBS requires access to opengl 3.2 capable hardware, which isn't exposed to programs running on console-only setups.

Harold

In general it is possible to run multiple instances on linux, but you still need hardware opengl 3.2 or higher.

GillyMoMo

Question is what is it you are trying to do with it in a VPS? Let's get some further insight as I happen to know of a possible alternative.

omega1

Hi GillyMoMo, thanks.

I need to construct a video stream from some images and audio on a OBS project. I have tried using ffmpeg but find it not as reliable as OBS as ffmpeg keeps on bombing out on errors.

I'd rather use OBS on commandline in a non-GUI server (VPS) rather than the GUI version to conserve resources on the server and avoid the overhead of a GUI.

Failing that, I'd like to run multiple instances of OBS (on linux) but I'm not sure how to go about that. A separate VPS for each instance seems overkill.

Thanks.

matias_pl

You can run OBS on a VM as long as it provides OpenGL. AWS VMs exposing Nvidia Grid GPUs (g2/g3 family) work fine but they are seriously expensive. If you want to have it running over extended periods of time you might be better off with a dedicated server with a decent Intel CPU with integrated graphics (I had success with a reasonably priced second-hand i7 3770 from Hetzner).

omega1

Thanks. I have no problem running OBS on the VM's (they run on a dedicated server), no issue there... I was looking at running multiple instances on the same VM?

matias_pl

Install xorg, obs-studio and VNC server of some sort. Log into your X session with VNC and operate OBS as you would on a regular OBS.
With software OpenGL and no HW encoding don't expect OBS to run more than 720p30 canvas & encoding.