OBS on Apple Silicon

joshnjohnston

OBS freezes and must "force quit" when adjusting AUDIO FILTERS on my new M1 MacBook. Followed by not being able to reopen the program at all. I had one active audio source, my FocusRite Scarlet 2i2.

NOTE** After OBS "force quit" it was necessary to locate AND REMOVE the following files for OBS to successfully relaunch (See below). Until removing these files (not found in "downloads" folder) ...OBS failed to relaunch/open.

• Open Macbook's "Finder"
  • Click the "Go" dropdown at the very top of screen
  • Now, HOLD DOWN the "option" button on keyboard, you should see "Library" now appear in the dropdown options.
  • Click "Library" to open folder..
  • Then, select the "Application Support" folder..
  • Next, locate the "obs-studio" folder
  • Click and drag "obs-studio" folder to your desktop , or save a backup wherever you would like ....if you desire.
  • Now drag the original "obs-studio" folder (out of "APPLICATION SUPPORT" folder) to your trash bin.
  • The program *should* now re-launch. ...Also, the "obs-studios" file you removed is backed up to your desktop if you would like to try to recover any previous scenes, etc.

Hope this may help anyone with similar issues.
Thanks to my IT support & friend Eric for assistance in troubleshooting and relaunching OBS.

sambarbourx

Hi folks,

Is the issue with the browser sources the memory leak? I've seen multiple people say that there are issues with browser sources but have not seen explanation of what these issues are.

The reason why I ask if that when I have browser sources (namely camera overlay, chat scroll and social media scroll) and cannot stream more than half an hour without the application needing to force quit, and application memory exceeding 100gbs

joshnjohnston

OBS freezes and must "force quit" when adjusting AUDIO FILTERS on my new M1 MacBook. Followed by not being able to reopen the program at all. I had one active audio source, my FocusRite Scarlet 2i2.

NOTE** After OBS "force quit" it was necessary to locate AND REMOVE the following files for OBS to successfully relaunch (See below). Until removing these files (not found in "downloads" folder) ...OBS failed to relaunch/open.

• Open Macbook's "Finder"
  • Click the "Go" dropdown at the very top of screen
  • Now, HOLD DOWN the "option" button on keyboard, you should see "Library" now appear in the dropdown options.
  • Click "Library" to open folder..
  • Then, select the "Application Support" folder..
  • Next, locate the "obs-studio" folder
  • Click and drag "obs-studio" folder to your desktop , or save a backup wherever you would like ....if you desire.
  • Now drag the original "obs-studio" folder (out of "APPLICATION SUPPORT" folder) to your trash bin.
  • The program *should* now re-launch. ...Also, the "obs-studios" file you removed is backed up to your desktop if you would like to try to recover any previous scenes, etc.

Hope this may help anyone with similar issues.
Thanks to my IT support & friend Eric for assistance in troubleshooting and relaunching OBS.
*UPDATE* Audio filters not likely the cause of this crash, but rather RAM (8 Gig) exceeded capabilities. A memory leak seems logical. With seemingly no changes in workload the RAM becomes overloaded and must "force quit".

Further insight...
+4 browser overlays +1 MacBook camera = 7/8 Gig of RAM used (not live streaming)
+4 browser overlays +1 MacBook camera +Audio Interface [Scarlet 2i2] = 7/8 Gig of RAM used-- Crashes before can start a stream.
+2 browser overlays +1 MacBook camera +Audio Interface [Scarlet 2i2] = 7/8 Gig of RAM used-- Crashes after 45 mins of streaming (with message that the RAM memory is overloaded and must force quit OBS). All works well until it crashes.

KingKonsoleTv

NDI does not work for me either BUT for some reason I can get it to work with my other streaming software so I am wondering if the NDI-OBS plugin just needs to be updated or if the update needs to come from NewTek. Any ideas?
can you tell me the other streaming softwares you use

KingKonsoleTv

I've done some more testing on my end and here are my initial findings... The majority of the Newtek NDI Tool programs do not run on the new M1 Macs with one exception NDI Virtual Input. Which means you can actually bring in an NDI input (from another source) to OBS by using this software and adding the device as a "Video Capture Device."

Now if only we can run more than one instance of NDI Virtual Input you could add a slew of NDI sources thru the "Video Capture Device" source. Right now it's limited to just one. I've found an article where someone was able to to change the Binary code of Newtek's Scan Converter to run two instances but i haven't been able to make it work with the Virtual Input application.

Article here: https://dev.to/xreyrobertibm/quick-...es-of-newtek-ndi-scan-converter-on-macos-10eb

ANOTHER thing I was able to do was pull in multiple NDI devices using NDISyphon and add those in OBS using the Syphon Input. This works well 95% of the time but I've found that sometimes the sources video freezes which can easily be fixed by re-enabling the source.

At this point I believe the best solution is to run multiple instances of NDI Virtual Input and bring those devices in as "Video Capture Devices."

Anyone have binary or coding experiences want to take a run at this one to see if it's possible?
you have a discord or something so you can help me through the process I really want to make streaming for my community better

EnDOS

I can no longer select screens such as Chrome, Other apps in window capture.
I use MacBook Pro M1 BigSur. does anyone know about how to fix?

MattMalins

I found this today to get the NDI plugin working again. Not my fix, but it has worked on my M1 MacBook Pro. I now have NDI inputs working on OBS

FIX INSTRUCTIONS

To fix this issue you'll need to download the OBS-NDI plugin and Newtek's NDI Video Monitor program (https://ndi.tv/tools/).

You'll need to move the libndi.4.dylib file from /Applications/NewTek NDI Video Monitor.app/Contents/Frameworks TO /usr/local/lib/. You may need to hold down the "cmd" key while dragging this file so that it moves the file instead of creating an alias. Then restart your computer and open OBS. You should now see the NDI plugin in the source list.

If you are having troubles finding the correct folders just use the "Go To Folder" option in your Finder Window and search for the directories I posted above.

Good Luck!

Jaazeps

I'm planning on getting a 13 in M1 Macbook Pro, and the most intense streaming I do is with display capture of a video call (on a second screen). Is 8 GB enough for this should I spring for the 16 GB version?. I've never quite understood how important RAM is for OBS functions compared to the processor or graphics card/chip, so I'd greatly appreciate hearing what you guys think. Thanks!

Koen Willems

I'm planning on getting a 13 in M1 Macbook Pro, and the most intense streaming I do is with display capture of a video call (on a second screen). Is 8 GB enough for this should I spring for the 16 GB version?. I've never quite understood how important RAM is for OBS functions compared to the processor or graphics card/chip, so I'd greatly appreciate hearing what you guys think. Thanks!
I'm in the same situation (planning to get me a M1 Macbook Pro). My opinion: if you plan to use ypur macbook for a couple of years, just spent the money for those extra 8 GB's. You can't add more RAM afterwards.

philmcneal

I'm having trouble getting the m1 Mac to work on the latest version of OBS, the audio sticky thread is not working for me, can't capture macOS Big Sur audio

Jaazeps

I'm in the same situation (planning to get me a M1 Macbook Pro). My opinion: if you plan to use ypur macbook for a couple of years, just spent the money for those extra 8 GB's. You can't add more RAM afterwards.
Thank you! Also, would the 7core Air be too underpowered/prone to overheating compared to the Pro?

nottooloud

M1 Air is subject to overheating, definitely. If you work it full out, people are reporting throttling after 20 minutes.

CheesyJim

I've got a 2019 16" Macbook Pro (Intel Core i7-9750H 6-core 2.6 GHz, 16 GB RAM 512 SSD) CPU and the Macbook Pro 13" M1 with 16 GB RAM and 1TB SSD.

I've been running the exact same OBS profile and system load on both - i.e. Native Instruments Traktor 3.4.1.254, Visualz 2.1.6 and OBS 2.6.1.

When playing a set from Traktor, with Visualz running a visualisation sent to a browser window and OBS srunning the MBP webcam plus VLC video sources (HD MP4s) in stream and record mode, I'm seeing approx 175% CPU usage for OBS in Activity Monitor - plus the additional windows for Visualz are taking up

See the M1 video here https://youtu.be/BuiZSAIOCtw

Running the exact same setup / content on the 2019 Intel Macbook the CPU usage is a lot lower - see video https://youtu.be/NtOOAUNsLQ4

This is to be expected considering the M1 is running OBS Traktor and Visualz under Rosetta 2 Intel emulation. I streamed and recorded a set for 2 hours on the M1 and it totally held up - a bit juddery in Tratkor but it never fell apart.

When OBS goes M1 Native it should be awesome - very impressed so far!

Ladysun1969

I have an Air M1 running OBS 26.1.2 and just tested the Browser Capture. I am a new OBS user, but Browser Capture seems to work for me.

I created a scene, added Browser Capture as a source, and it works. Screenshot attached.

Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 19.39.45.jpg

-Michèle in California

ChavezFlexingtn

Anybody tested the M1 with some pretty heavy scenes with loads of sources etc? I'm interested to see if can handle the wierdness I need it to deal with, 20+ scenes, multiple cameras, video media sources, browser overlays etc etc - 1080p60 - streaming bitrate 6000 for twitch... (see www.twitch.tv/johnbbeta for what kind of stuff I mean). If it's stable & as powerful as it seems - I will finally be replacing my aged 8core 2009 mac pro for a mini - been struggling a tiny bit lately on the encoding front & looking for an excuse to upgrade anyway. Its either that or I build a budget-ish streaming PC to replace the mac...

Hey John!

I have a pretty heavy setup like you too and my experience so far is sub-par. I'm dropping frames like crazy with settings:

6000 kpbs CBR
high profile
keyframe intervals 2
(Attempting to stream at 1080p 60fps) Canvas base AND output

This is just my experience so far and it's really rough. Others say it's great but I don't think they're heavily using OBS like we are. Let me know if you hear of anything else please. I'm struggling with my Mac Mini M1.