OBS "Not Responding" (and 32GB ram usage) when interacting with ANY button.

NanoBunTV

Windows 10, OBS 29.0.2
Here is what happens:
  1. Launch OBS.
  2. It shows in Task Manager as a "Background Process", during this time it will skyrocket to using all 32GB of ram.
  3. After about 3 minutes, the ram usage slowly decreases to about 700MB, then actually launches (moves from a background process to actually appearing on the taskbar).
Once its running, any of the following interactions will cause the program to start "Not Responding" for about 1 minute:
  • Adding, editing settings of, or removing sources.
  • Changing scene collections (but not profiles).
  • Starting/stopping recording.
  • Starting/stopping streaming.
  • Closing OBS.
Only the application will be "Not Responding", all recordings/stream outputs remain fully functional and continue to output as intended.
OBS also skyrockets to 32GB of ram usage whenever its not responding, just like how I outlined above with starting the program.

It is not related to anything in my scene collection, I have backed up and deleted both my profile and scene collection and switched to an empty one, nothing changed.

Uninstalling plugins, reinstalling plugins, using OBS without plugins, nothing changed.

Reinstalling OBS 29.0.2, nothing changed.

Every single thread on this site has lead to nothing of significance.

My logs show nothing out of the ordinary, I have even tried to observe what exactly the text of the logs stop at whenever the program is not responding, still nothing out of the ordinary. Here is those logs anyways.

Help.

PaiSand

Remove the plugins (completelly), uninstall and reintall OBS and test again. Most probably one of the plugins causes one or more of this issues.
Some plugins left files inside %appdata%\obs-studio\ path folder. You need to manually remove them in order to completelly remove the plugin and fix the issues.

Make sure all the plugins are updated to be compatible with OBS 29.

Last edited:

Chlouck

Hello !
I registered on this forum because I literally have the exact same problem. Did the Paisand tips helped you ? If your problem is resolved, it would be awesome if you can write here how did you manage to repair it because it's getting overwhelming for almost a week now !

Thank you !
Chlouck